Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/18/2014, 11:53 AM   #26
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Bass View Post
d2mini, thanks for the setup shot. I like how with two light sources you basically have 4, reflecting the primary sources onto the sides and back of the subject, creating very even lighting overall and enhancing the edges. Your choice to fill the darker side with a warmer orangey light rather than a brighter whiter light works for me. And it looks like your trusty spray bottle saw some action too.

How long do your prepared shots stay "fresh"? Do you need to touch them up frequently? While it's probably not a huge issue with an orange, I'd imagine that eventually more delicate edible subjects, like a lettuce leaf, might dehydrate and wrinkle, fold or flop inappropriately or in a visually undesirable manner? How long is your working window?
For food especially, I'm always reflecting the light. Usually, I don't even have a light in front. I have a couple lights in back, low, shooting over the subject towards the camera. Then I reflect the light back with foil reflectors to give me specular highlights. This usually creates a nice natural, sunlight type lighting effect and gives lots of detail. A big soft box overhead tends to take away a lot of the taste appeal of food by flattening everything out.

And per the other comment about the dog food shot floating... haha... yeah that was a final retouched and clipped out shot for the package. For that one I first took a shot of the cutting board with nothing on it. Then I took the same cutting board and did all the different varieties. Then each setup was clipped out and pasted on top of the original cutting board shot and we painted in new shadows. This made sure all shots were very consistent as far as placement on the cutting board and the size of the food grouping.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2014, 12:20 PM   #27
Reef Bass
colors and textures

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
For food especially, I'm always reflecting the light. Usually, I don't even have a light in front. I have a couple lights in back, low, shooting over the subject towards the camera. Then I reflect the light back with foil reflectors to give me specular highlights.
Sweet. Filling the front by foil reflecting backlighting. I like it. Sorry, just getting more into lighting and that was a bit of a lightbulb moment for my noob self.

Quote:
A big soft box overhead tends to take away a lot of the taste appeal of food by flattening everything out.
Totally how I feel about shooting tanks under T5s versus MHs. The flattening out part, not the loss of taste appeal.

Quote:
For that one I first took a shot of the cutting board with nothing on it. Then I took the same cutting board and did all the different varieties. Then each setup was clipped out and pasted on top of the original cutting board shot and we painted in new shadows. This made sure all shots were very consistent as far as placement on the cutting board and the size of the food grouping.
Nicely done. Do you use Lightroom at all, or everything in Photoshop?

Former president and co-president of the Wine Country Reefers.

Current Tank Info: 60 gallons of Scleractinia and Zoanthidae lit w/ LEDs
Reef Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2014, 01:07 PM   #28
Misled
RC Mod

From my days doing that, hair spray and floor wax were my go to's!!!!

Unread 08/18/2014, 02:43 PM   #29
woodnaquanut
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTP66 View Post
I wish I could find it now, but I read an article a long time ago on how experts made foods look "fresh" during photo shoots. It was a pretty interesting read, especially when they got into the topic of "replacement" (i.e., wood glue instead of milk on cereal box shots, motor oil instead of pancake syrup, etc.). Not everyone did this, but it was interesting nonetheless.
Funny. I remember an article too! Big take away for me was turkey, raw + blowtorch for Thanksgiving shots. Keeps the nice tight skin.

There was also something in a can to simulate steam. Probably banned by EPA now!

Unread 08/19/2014, 08:20 AM   #30
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Bass View Post
Nicely done. Do you use Lightroom at all, or everything in Photoshop?
Both. I shoot only raw so LR is for the initial raw processing and general tweaks, culling, and organizing my shoots.
Photoshop is for the tricky stuff.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2014, 08:30 AM   #31
Reef Bass
colors and textures

Thanks for the insight into your process. Makes sense.

On a separate note, as a disclaimer...

I opened my new Nat Geo with Nero on the cover, and on page 16, I see NG stole my theme idea for this week! "Assignment: Love Snap"

Total coincidence, really. Or more likely, a "great minds think alike" thing.

Former president and co-president of the Wine Country Reefers.

Current Tank Info: 60 gallons of Scleractinia and Zoanthidae lit w/ LEDs
Reef Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2014, 07:29 PM   #32
Misled
RC Mod

"Love" picture thread