Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/18/2016, 11:40 AM   #101
jason2459
Registered Member

All looked pretty normal until I looked closer....

Rock_Sandbed_Cyano_Mat-0022 by Jason, on Flickr

Rock_Sandbed_Cyano_Mat-0023 by Jason, on Flickr

Rock_Sandbed_Cyano_Mat-0025 by Jason, on Flickr

Rock_Sandbed_Cyano_Mat-0044 by Jason, on Flickr

Rock_Sandbed_Cyano_Mat-0048 by Jason, on Flickr

Rock_Sandbed_Cyano_Mat-0050 by Jason, on Flickr

Rock_Sandbed_Cyano_Mat-0053 by Jason, on Flickr

Rock_Sandbed_Cyano_Mat-0054 by Jason, on Flickr

Rock_Sandbed_Cyano_Mat-0056 by Jason, on Flickr

Rock_Sandbed_Cyano_Mat-0057 by Jason, on Flickr

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2016, 11:40 AM   #102
jason2459
Registered Member

Rock_Sandbed_Cyano_Mat-0059 by Jason, on Flickr

Rock_Sandbed_Cyano_Mat-0060 by Jason, on Flickr

Rock_Sandbed_Cyano_Mat-0061 by Jason, on Flickr

Rock_Sandbed_Cyano_Mat-0062 by Jason, on Flickr

Rock_Sandbed_Cyano_Mat-0066 by Jason, on Flickr

Rock_Sandbed_Cyano_Mat-0079 by Jason, on Flickr

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
Unread 12/18/2016, 11:47 AM   #103
jason2459
Registered Member

Video

Sandbed_Cyano_Mat_012 by Jason, on Flickr

Unread 12/18/2016, 11:53 AM   #104
jason2459
Registered Member

I figure one of two things are happening. Either breaking down or breaking down to spread. But I've seen them split to spread not fall apart like that.

Which either way, this would be a good time to add some mechanical filtration to help remove those broken down pieces.... which of course I'm not doing.

One of those do as I say not as I do things...

Unread 12/19/2016, 02:29 PM   #105
jason2459
Registered Member

Day 21 6x doses @140ml total

Did put the 6th dose in last night.

So far opposite my prediction. More cyano it seems. But it looks like its ready to blow away. It would be really easy to siphon it out. Not touching it though. Seeing what will happen.

The rocks do look different to me. I started noticing it I think Friday. Hard to explain and it's not getting it in pictures well at all. Best way to explain it is it looks clean.

Pictures from last night.

Unread 12/19/2016, 02:51 PM   #106
sde1500
Registered Member

Don't have a good picture handy myself but I have to say my rocks are much cleaner. I don't have any cyano, had none to start with though. GHA has been fought way back, the brown bugger like stuff is almost gone. Rocks haven't been this clean in many months. The red turf like algae and bubble algae on one plug seems completely unaffected though.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2016, 09:17 PM   #107
jason2459
Registered Member

Day 22 6x doses @ 140ml total

Cyano does look like it got blown back a bit. And the glass tonight looks the best it has recently. There's still some film algae growth but not nearly as much. I still cleaned it off tonight.

Unread 12/19/2016, 09:27 PM   #108
jason2459
Registered Member

I just noticed in the algae above the gyre pump pic there seems to be a bit of cyano there growing out possibly.

One thing that's normally recommended for cyano is to increase flow. That gyre with cyano right on top if it now runs at 100% 24/7. Thats supposedly around 5000gph.

I have another gyre that runs at 100% 24/7 setup vertically and alternates direction with the lunar cycle 4 times a day like a tide (some fun apex programming and I have a thread for that too ). So, say another 2500gph. Which creates an awesome undertow along the back of the tank part of the time and the front of the tank part of the time.

My return pump works with that horizontal gyre pump pushing across the top at about 1400gph.

I think I'm good with flow. lol

Unread 12/20/2016, 07:20 PM   #109
jason2459
Registered Member

Day 23 6x doses @ 140ml total

Cyano cut back a bit more again. I'm actually not going to have to clean my glass tonight. The hair algae over the pump still looks healthy.

Unread 12/21/2016, 02:34 PM   #110
jason2459
Registered Member

Recap

Dosing 2x per week. 20ml each time.

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Day 4

Day 5

Day 6

Day 7

Day 8 Started having to clean my glass daily

Day 9

Unread 12/21/2016, 02:35 PM   #111
jason2459
Registered Member

Day 10

Day 11

Day 12

Day 13

Day 14

Day 15

Day 16

Day 17 (saw some intresesting cells of cyano breaing apart under microscope)

Day 18

Day 19 (Really started notice a difference in the way my rocks look. "clean")

Unread 12/21/2016, 02:36 PM   #112
jason2459
Registered Member

Day 20

Day 21

Day 22 (Glass film algae not as bad)

Day 23 (Didn't need to clean the glass)

Unread 12/21/2016, 02:40 PM   #113
jason2459
Registered Member

Looks like around day 7 or day 8 I probably could have cut back to around 1 dose per week. I wonder if the 2x per week dosing isn't fueling the cyano a bit. As the glucose is something I've never dosed before I don't know how little is needed but it is a very little amount. Seems hard to believe it would cause the cyano to grow back the way it did after day 8.

Then there's the fact it is starting to cut back a little and the interesting observation of the cells breaking apart like I saw.

Day 8 is also when the film algae on the glass really started to take off and need cleaned every day. But at the same time just the past couple days has started to get better.

I was thinking of cutting back to 1x per week but now considering still sticking with 2x per week to see where this goes.

Unread 12/21/2016, 03:08 PM   #114
jason2459
Registered Member

And glucose in there makes this more sense
TankWater_5mlVibrant_24hrs-0004 by Jason, on Flickr

As normally when I see the water evaporate out I see salt crystals like this. I usually don't see a structure like that above.
Hair_Algae_From_ATS_Double_Dose-0016 by Jason, on Flickr

Unread 12/21/2016, 07:03 PM   #115
jason2459
Registered Member

Day 24 6x doses @ 140ml total

Not cleaning glass again tonight. Has a bit of film build up but not noticeable from the outside.

Cyano maybe a bit cut back holding on to the thicker areas. Algae above pump looks unchanged.

Unread 12/21/2016, 08:04 PM   #116
jason2459
Registered Member

One more thing to note is I did find my tuxedo urchin the other day and did find my short spine urchin tonight. I'll assume my pencil urchin is fine and hiding as normal.

So, I haven't seen anything negative to things I want to keep around.

Unread 12/22/2016, 08:08 PM   #117
drtrash
Registered Member

Only negative is the condition of tank, backing off on my experiment seems to be a long term shuffling of chemical and biological parameters.

drtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2016, 06:47 PM   #118
drtrash
Registered Member

Don't get me wrong I think this is a great product, it just needs to be actively managed with realistic expectations. I am on day 23 and I have a relatively clean tank with some gha and a not so balanced nutrient export because I get random cyano. Running a fuge & gfo will I use to all cheato dead. The key for me has been weekly WC vacuuming of all loose gha and cyano. Will go to 1x per week at the end of 30 treatment

drtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2016, 11:50 PM   #119
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtrash View Post
Don't get me wrong I think this is a great product, it just needs to be actively managed with realistic expectations. I am on day 23 and I have a relatively clean tank with some gha and a not so balanced nutrient export because I get random cyano. Running a fuge & gfo will I use to all cheato dead. The key for me has been weekly WC vacuuming of all loose gha and cyano. Will go to 1x per week at the end of 30 treatment
Agree. If you are currently having algae, diatom, cyano, etc problems you should do all the normal recommended stuff including manually pulling or siphoning.

Personally, if I wasn't so curious about this product I probably wouldn't have ever used it or any other bacteria in a bottle. But if you do use it, which it certainly does seem to caused a quick reaction in tanks, I would recommend all the normal stuff.

Unread 12/23/2016, 11:53 PM   #120
jason2459
Registered Member

With the mention of possibly a hint of eucalyptus oil I now have this running for the next hour

Unread 12/24/2016, 01:03 AM   #121
jason2459
Registered Member

Well, that was fun. I saw no visual separation but the vials that came with it aren't very clear. I have more coming next week that are supposed to be.

But I used several pipettes to skim the surface small amounts at a time and saw no visual difference.

Doesn't mean there isn't one. But top to the bottom the liquid looked the same and acted the same.

I also took some measurements with my refractometer and through out it was 1.044 which I expected the results to be higher then the starting point (I believe 1.037 if I remember right] due to some evaporation. The centrifuge does generate some heat.

Top left and bottom right. I want to do this again when I have more time and test some more things out.

Unread 12/24/2016, 08:23 PM   #122
neiltus
Registered Member

I think you should have ran your centrifuge at 2000rpm, and not went with the 'turn it up to 11'.

Honestly...I have no clue.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2592260
neiltus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2016, 08:27 PM   #123
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltus View Post
I think you should have ran your centrifuge at 2000rpm, and not went with the 'turn it up to 11'.

Honestly...I have no clue.
Yep, I'll be testing out a few things yet to come as I have time.

Unread 12/25/2016, 08:30 PM   #124
jason2459
Registered Member

Day 28 6x doses @ 140ml total

Cyano is gradually fading away. Hair algae still looking healthy.

7th dose tonight

Unread 12/26/2016, 10:11 PM   #125
jason2459
Registered Member

Day 29 7x doses @ 160ml total

Cyano looking pretty defeated. Hair algae looking strong. Cleaning the glass every 3 days or so which was normal for me before dosing vibrant.