Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/27/2013, 02:45 PM   #3101
roni
Premium Member

Awesome! I think when you've got them eating pellet, you're golden.

roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2013, 08:33 AM   #3102
LobsterOfJustice
Recovering Detritophobe

Been dreaming of a Regal since getting in to the hobby, finally got my chance a few weeks ago when I found one eating at an LFS. Within a few weeks he was eating out of my hand in QT! Moved him over to the display and he didn't miss a beat, was still eating out of my hand the next day. I wanted to wait to post the video until I felt like I was in the clear, and he's been in the display for a week now so I think I'm good. I'll try to get a short vid of him in the display tonight.

I remember when zoanthids were called things like "green" and "orange" and not "reverse gorilla nipple."

Current Tank Info: 180g reef with all the bells and whistles
LobsterOfJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2013, 09:18 AM   #3103
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Looks good! Nice and plump.

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Current Tank Info: 240g butterfly and angel FOWLR. 15g QT.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2013, 09:23 AM   #3104
bradleyj
Reefkeeping Mag Staff

Peter, your regal looks fantastic. When do you plan to release.

Current Tank Info: 335g Leemar
bradleyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2013, 09:30 AM   #3105
bradleyj
Reefkeeping Mag Staff

You can see mine if you look hard enough.

Current Tank Info: 335g Leemar
bradleyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2013, 09:42 AM   #3106
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyj View Post
Peter, your regal looks fantastic. When do you plan to release.
Thanks! I am not sure... I want him to be a little more aggressive when he eats. He's still in that "casually swimming by and eating the pellets as he sees them" phase.... I want him to bolt for them! Then I'll drop him in with the rest of the gang. I also need to get myself an autofeeder for the DT.

Your tank is looking amazing BTW!

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

Unread 03/31/2013, 11:23 AM   #3107
Dakota Reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
I want him to be a little more aggressive when he eats. He's still in that "casually swimming by and eating the pellets as he sees them" phase.... I want him to bolt for them! Then I'll drop him in with the rest of the gang.
Funny Peter, I've been going through the same debate for the last few weeks. Six weeks ago I stumbled onto this guy at my local aquarium shop, still in his shipping bag.

I almost never make an unplanned purchase, especially with a tricky fish like a Regal but he was the perfect size and appeared to be in great shape. So I pulled the trigger and used my frag tank to observe him, get him eating frozen and run a course of Prazi. He came through it all without batting an eye but I was still worried about how aggressive the fish in my display get at feeding time. I was also worried about how my slightly larger Majestic Angel would react.

After a couple of days in an isolation box in the display tank I released him shortly before lights out. To my surprise my Potter's Angel was the one that freaked out. Eventually the Potter's managed to get my large, but usually mild-mannered Blonde Naso worked up to the point that even he was chasing the bewildered Regal. Turned out the lights figuring that I'd have to sort it out in the morning, probably temporarily removing either the Naso or the Regal.

But the next morning it was like they'd all been in the tank together for years. The Regal had a small mark on its tail from the previous night's skirmish but that has gone away. And to my surprise the Regal has decided to eat both large and small Spectrum pellets.

Hope my good luck holds, he's such a beauty.

Dakota Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2013, 03:13 PM   #3108
Ostara
Keep Calm and Reef On

Whoops, I forgot to come back and update. First off, very nice looking regals everyone!

I got a 2" juvenile from NY Aquatics about three weeks ago now. It did have visible ich straight from the bag as well as flukes, which is course it is being treated for. It ate frozen food from the start (literally an hour after shipping!) and now goes after pellets with a vengeance.

Yesterday I picked up the 2 1/2" juvenile that had been brought up from LA for me. It is also eating frozen. I had an acclimation box and eggcrate on hand to introduce them whichever way worked best, but decided to let them "meet" face to face first. They swam up to each other to have a look and then swam into the same pot. Since then they have alternated between swimming together and ignoring one another. Several times the smaller one has approached the larger one with lowered fins and done the sideways submission move that I've seen my centropyge females do.

So far so good. I think the fact that they are both youngsters with their eyespots has helped a lot. Now I'm hoping that the larger regal will see the smaller one eating pellets and follow suit.

Ostara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2013, 05:17 PM   #3109
Chicago
Registered Member

it seems the regals are a little more easy going than other large anglefish..just my 2 cents worth.. my two are doing fine and do not bother each other.

Current Tank Info: 500 gal starphire, reef sps dominated, 40 plus fish, 300 gallon sump in basement below, reeftek calcium reactor, reeftek kalkwasser reactor, lifeguard fluidized filter for rowaphose, 4 400MH 10k xm, 2 160 vho super attinic, DYI 50 gallon denitrator
Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2013, 05:40 PM   #3110
Chicago
Registered Member

some regals, bandits and goldflake eating at the buffet table

Wait first need to learn how to post video

Current Tank Info: 500 gal starphire, reef sps dominated, 40 plus fish, 300 gallon sump in basement below, reeftek calcium reactor, reeftek kalkwasser reactor, lifeguard fluidized filter for rowaphose, 4 400MH 10k xm, 2 160 vho super attinic, DYI 50 gallon denitrator

Last edited by Chicago; 04/07/2013 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Not loading video
Unread 04/07/2013, 05:46 PM   #3111
Chicago
Registered Member

Last edited by Chicago; 04/07/2013 at 05:58 PM.
Unread 04/07/2013, 10:08 PM   #3112
reefrf
reefrf

New Regal addition

My first attempt at this beautiful animal. I purchased him 18 days ago. Doing well, but has not eaten any of the prepared foods I have given him. I'm assuming he's munching on stuff e.g. sponges on the rocks. Hopefully he begins eating soon.

Here's a couple of pictures.

RIP 150g....
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1651699&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

Current Tank Info: 250g 72x30x27 (Starphire) Lighting-Giesemann Infiniti 3x250w HQI Phoenix 4T-5's. 75g sump/Reef Octopus SRO5000 Skimmer/ GEO 624 Calcium Reactor. Circulation 3 x MP40QD 1/4 hp Artica

Last edited by Dino; 03/30/2018 at 05:51 AM.
reefrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2013, 10:18 PM   #3113
ace_92101
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefrf View Post
My first attempt at this beautiful animal. I purchased him 18 days ago. Doing well, but has not eaten any of the prepared foods I have given him. I'm assuming he's munching on stuff e.g. sponges on the rocks. Hopefully he begins eating soon.

Here's a couple of pictures.

He's beautiful! Hope he starts earing prepared foods soon.

Last edited by Dino; 03/30/2018 at 05:52 AM.
ace_92101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2013, 06:13 AM   #3114
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefrf View Post
Doing well, but has not eaten any of the prepared foods I have given him. I'm assuming he's munching on stuff e.g. sponges on the rocks. Hopefully he begins eating soon.
IMO, don't assume that he's eating anything, if you don't 'witness' it! These fish will starve to death. You need to try every food possible till its eating something!

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2013, 06:32 AM   #3115
Chicago
Registered Member

looks like you have two in there.. get some clam strips and nori.. and some pellet. roll the nori around the clam and NLS pellets and rubber band around a rock. put at the bottom of the tank. i am trying to post pics of what worked so far for my two.. got them eating.. how they take from water colum and top of surface. Good luck

Unread 04/08/2013, 07:36 AM   #3116
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by albano View Post
IMO, don't assume that he's eating anything, if you don't 'witness' it! These fish will starve to death. You need to try every food possible till its eating something!
Agreed.

I replied to your PM on SDR Ron.

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

Unread 04/08/2013, 11:46 PM   #3117
reefrf
reefrf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago View Post
looks like you have two in there.. get some clam strips and nori.. and some pellet. roll the nori around the clam and NLS pellets and rubber band around a rock. put at the bottom of the tank. i am trying to post pics of what worked so far for my two.. got them eating.. how they take from water colum and top of surface. Good luck
Only one, that's a reflection. Thanks for the suggestion. I will try that!!

RIP 150g....
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1651699&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

Current Tank Info: 250g 72x30x27 (Starphire) Lighting-Giesemann Infiniti 3x250w HQI Phoenix 4T-5's. 75g sump/Reef Octopus SRO5000 Skimmer/ GEO 624 Calcium Reactor. Circulation 3 x MP40QD 1/4 hp Artica
Unread 04/08/2013, 11:47 PM   #3118
reefrf
reefrf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
Agreed.

I replied to your PM on SDR Ron.
Thanks very much Peter!

RIP 150g....

Unread 04/08/2013, 11:49 PM   #3119
reefrf
reefrf

Quote:
By the way. What are NLS pellets?

RIP 150g....

Unread 04/09/2013, 05:08 AM   #3120
Chicago
Registered Member

New life spectrum. I forgot to add drop some garlic guard from sea chem on the roll after its rubber banded let sit for give min then put in tank

Unread 04/09/2013, 07:35 AM   #3121
reefrf
reefrf

Quote:
New life spectrum. I forgot to add drop some garlic guard from sea chem on the roll after its rubber banded let sit for give min then put in tank
Thank you!

RIP 150g....

Unread 04/09/2013, 08:09 AM   #3122
reefrf
reefrf

Quote:
One more...these clam strips you're referring to... Where do you buy them? You mentioned about some pictures you may have?

RIP 150g....

Unread 04/09/2013, 08:57 AM   #3123
Chicago
Registered Member

Trying to post pics , Clam strip from grocery or frozen fish food I think ..ocean nutrition has them. But store fresh sea food is good too

Unread 04/09/2013, 10:16 AM   #3124
jnc914
Registered Member

Need some feedback from those with pairs of Regals...

After attempting the Regal Angel, and ultimately failing for one reason or another for the last 6 years, I have finally received 2 healthy and EATING regal angels. The first is a
4.25" Indo Blue Belly Regal that was obtained from Bluezoo Aquatics as I had store credit to use. The second I acquired as a complete fluke for an excellent price. I have a friend that owns an LFS and I had mentioned months ago I had been looking for a Regal. I got a call last week that the LFS received 2 true Red Sea Regals. I picked up a 5" yellow belly last week. Both are going through extensive QT in a 55 gallon tank separated by egg crate.

I made my first attempt to introduce the two Regals on Sunday, and needless to say it didn't go well. It started as tail swatting, and ended with the larger Regal shredding the dorsal fin of the Indo regal. I had to literally put my hand in and physically separate the two angels. The Indo's fins appear a bit better 2 days later and he is still eating like a pig. I have paired many angels in the past with great success (Bandit, Blueline, Goldflake, etc), but these two may prove to be a challenge. I had planned on adding them to my 180 gallon FOWLR. They would be the largest fish in the tank.

So my plan is to not introduce them together. Instead I am looking at adding the smaller of the two first so that it can stake claim on some territory and get comfortable. I will then add the larger a week or so later and see how the introduction goes. I have set my display up to where I can easily move certain rocks and can place egg crate in if needed. I was also going to to the mirror method for two weeks and see if that will alleviate some aggression.

Sound good, or is there a better method or process? Thanks in advance for any input provided.

13 years strictly salty

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon FOWLR Angel dedicated tank
jnc914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2013, 11:20 AM   #3125
reefrf
reefrf

Quote:
Trying to post pics , Clam strip from grocery or frozen fish food I think ..ocean nutrition has them. But store fresh sea food is good too
BINGO!! I threw some fresh mussels in there & he went for it right away!! I'll keep you guys posted! Also, I am going to doing the nori wrap as well.

RIP 150g....