Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/01/2009, 07:55 AM   #851
hllywd
Premier World Traveler

If you're worried about dropping something on the bottom of the tank, starboard, or even acrylic would be better ideas than the ceramic tile. As long as you use some reasonable guidelines like the previously mentioned spacing there shouldn't be any integrity issues. Triple check before you begin to drill whether the tank is tempered or not. Back to the ceramic idea, it will need to be notched around the bulkheads, I wasn't sure from you post what your intentions were... As for sealing it to the bottom, the previous owner of my tank siliconed acrylic to the bottom, it is not water tight and I assume that was his idea, so be forewarned...

Additionally I'd be very careful supporting the bottom as you intend, any undue upward pressure and you're likely to create problems you wouldn't have had otherwise. Finally most tank manufacturers recommend against using foam under there tanks.

Good Luck!
Tim

Current Tank Info: 210 AGA RR, Apex, 3x Kessil A360W & 2x 80W T5s, GEO 618 Ca Rx, BM220 CS2 skimmer, Tunze 6100s, 42" ETSS/AE Tech refugium/sump
hllywd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2009, 06:37 PM   #852
procaelio
Registered Member

Thanks for your replies and suggestions. The purpose for the bulkhead is for a drain that will go into my sewer lines. I have turtles that require frequent water changes even with a filter system. That brings me to the reason for the ceramic tile. It will raise the bottom above the bulkhead so when I drain the tank it won't leave a layer of sludge on the bottom. (Maybe I shouldn't try to seal it?)

For support of the bottom I was thinking of putting ten blobs of silicone on a plastic sheet, four around the bulkhead and six at evenly placed points under the rest of the tank, and then I'll place the tank down on top of it. I'm hoping this will give some support and still be slightly flexible. Or should I just forget about adding extra support?

procaelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2009, 05:29 AM   #853
GoldStripe
Registered Member

What kinda of turtles do you have? I know it's unrealted but I have 2 terrapins as well!

GoldStripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2009, 09:02 AM   #854
procaelio
Registered Member

I have two "red ear sliders", about seven years old. They very healthy critters, never had any problems even though I've had them living in muck half the time. Anyway I'm trying to improve their living conditions now. With my luck the clean environment will probably kill them.

procaelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2009, 09:52 AM   #855
GoldStripe
Registered Member

Cool man. 1 of my diamondback terps is 27 years old and still fat and happy.

GoldStripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2010, 04:58 PM   #856
JustOneMoreTank
Registered Member

Just checking in to see Reef Central and how the post is doing.
Happy Reefing everyone!

JustOneMoreTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2010, 11:44 PM   #857
marc111
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustOneMoreTank View Post
Just checking in to see Reef Central and how the post is doing.
Happy Reefing everyone!
Unfortunately all of your pictures that show the step by step at the beginning appear to be down.

marc111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2010, 03:36 PM   #858
JustOneMoreTank
Registered Member

marc111
Sorry that Photobucket had disconnected my account for inactivity and all of the pictures were blank. I signed back in and they should all be back up now.
Hope this continues to help everyone out there in this wonderful hobby!

JustOneMoreTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2010, 10:11 PM   #859
marc111
Registered Member

Thanks for the help in getting them back up.
Mark

marc111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2010, 02:40 PM   #860
djrab52
Registered Member

JustOneMoreTank,

I am glad I did a search on this before I posted an new thread, but I have a question for you. On the first page of this thread in your second set of pictures, did you drill the tank without doing the whole water adding step? Reason I am asking is because i want to add another hole to my glass sump but I don't want to break down the entire sump and turn it on the side if I don't have to. I have a 120G sump with LiveRock and sand in it currently. I can drain the one section with no problem where the whole will be drilled but just wanted to know if it is possible to do it with the tank still on the stand?

Current Tank Info: Started a 150G reef.
djrab52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2013, 10:12 PM   #861
Fail_sh3d
Registered Member

Thank you for this awesome thread JustOne.

Great information. Really helped me in drilling my first time.

Fail_sh3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2014, 08:03 AM   #862
Curt Boswelll
Registered Member

I thought this was a great thread for anyone interested in drilling their tank. I do. Have a question for anyone who can answer it. Is there a minimum size glass you can drill? If so what would that size be?

Curt Boswelll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2014, 08:07 AM   #863
PHATBEN
Registered Member

Ive drilled 5 gallon tanks the trick is to use a template to keep the drill steady... And go super slow let the drill do the work....

PHATBEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2014, 08:38 AM   #864
Curt Boswelll
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHATBEN View Post
Ive drilled 5 gallon tanks the trick is to use a template to keep the drill steady... And go super slow let the drill do the work....
Thanks!

Curt Boswelll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2014, 10:33 PM   #865
psyrob
Registered Member

Just, drilled another 10 gallon tank with the Hong Kong drill bits...two holes, no problems. My routine: Make a hole thru acrylic sheet or thin plywood for a guide hole, clamp it to the tank, and on the other side of the glass I have duct tape and a very thin piece of ply wood, all clamped together. My thought is that the plywood gives more support to the glass. The duct tape holds the glass and keeps it from chipping. I took about 20 minutes a hole, watching for water to drip down into the tank that I had broken thru. I poured water on the hole throughout the process. If you are on the fence about drilling your own, just read this thread and go for it!

Current Tank Info: 60 gallon mixed reef, 4X54 T5s, 10 gallon frag tank, Reefbreeders PAR38 led bulb, Euroreef Skimmer, wp25 pump ReefAngel controller
psyrob is offline   Reply With Quote