Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/22/2018, 03:21 AM   #1
DubleD
Registered Member

Deltec nitrate filter setup

Hello, i'm in my way to cycle my 125g tank mix reef , almost one month since i start. I notice a nitrate level around 30-50ppm now and i plan to start to use an algae reactor and a nitrate filter. I will use a Deltec NF509 nitrate sulphur reaktor.
I wonder if i MUST use a calcium reactor in same line after the nitrate reactor??
Deltec recommand a prelastic pump to feed this reactor but i see that they are very pricey i don't believe i will afford one soon.
Can i use a normal feeding pump and a ball valve to adjust the proper flow??

DubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2018, 10:12 AM   #2
DubleD
Registered Member

I will apreciate alot some opinions ....thanks

Unread 07/22/2018, 10:47 AM   #3
moondoggy4
Registered Member

Since i have one of those and I gave it a college try. The problem with a nitrate reactor is that you need an adjustable feed pump that flows at 35 to50 ml/mm 24/7. Medical type peri pumps do that well and they are pricey, ebay is your friend there. Kamoer has a new model that is 250 US and can be bought in China and then shipped to your home, there is a thread here about that reactor and places where they purchased them.

Another problem with the reactor is the Aqua Bee pump is not reliable, for these reactors to work they have to be reliable and predicable in a good way.

I used to run a deltec 509 reactor I put in ARM calcium media. So I would have the nitrate reactor first and then it would flow into the reactor with the ARM media.

If you have anymore question let me know.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2018, 10:49 AM   #4
moondoggy4
Registered Member

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2676547 here is the thread on the peri pump

Unread 07/22/2018, 02:19 PM   #5
DubleD
Registered Member

[QUOTE=moondoggy4;25473533]Since i have one of those and I gave it a college try. The problem with a nitrate reactor is that you need an adjustable feed pump that flows at 35 to50 ml/mm 24/7. Medical type peri pumps do that well and they are pricey, ebay is your friend there. Kamoer has a new model that is 250 US and can be bought in China and then shipped to your home, there is a thread here about that reactor and places where they purchased them.

Another problem with the reactor is the Aqua Bee pump is not reliable, for these reactors to work they have to be reliable and predicable in a good way.

I used to run a deltec 509 reactor I put in ARM calcium media. So I would have the nitrate reactor first and then it would flow into the reactor with the ARM media.

Helow, thanks, i beleive you give the best advice. Now i don't want to be a pain in the a..s but please explain my why my idea with a small feeding pump and a ball valve it's not reliable? I'm sure that i can adjust the flow to 1 or2 drops per second. I you will afford to lose some time wit me and explain me this i'm sure i will understand how all system work
I have one Deltec KM500 kalk mixer witch work same and i will use this knowledge to instal that in same way...
I canot use a dosing pump?? i own two of this once, please look:

http://aquatronicastore.com/dosing-pumps/

Unread 07/22/2018, 02:20 PM   #6
DubleD
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondoggy4 View Post
Since i have one of those and I gave it a college try. The problem with a nitrate reactor is that you need an adjustable feed pump that flows at 35 to50 ml/mm 24/7. Medical type peri pumps do that well and they are pricey, ebay is your friend there. Kamoer has a new model that is 250 US and can be bought in China and then shipped to your home, there is a thread here about that reactor and places where they purchased them.

If you have anymore question let me know.
please reed my previos post in this thread....

Unread 07/23/2018, 08:16 PM   #7
moondoggy4
Registered Member

I guess it depends on the valve that you will use, I have seen some pretty nice ones that are about 40 bucks. I would not use one with a DC return pump what happens if you change the flow you change the pressure and not your ml/mm are off. So yes you can use a valve.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/verte...dle-valve.html Something like this I have seen Spears valves like this that are even more expensive but at the moment I cannot find them.

Unread 07/24/2018, 02:09 PM   #8
DubleD
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondoggy4 View Post
I guess it depends on the valve that you will use, I have seen some pretty nice ones that are about 40 bucks. I would not use one with a DC return pump what happens if you change the flow you change the pressure and not your ml/mm are off. So yes you can use a valve.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/verte...dle-valve.html Something like this I have seen Spears valves like this that are even more expensive but at the moment I cannot find them.
40bucks it's more that affordable, i will search ebay. thanks