Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/20/2018, 04:50 PM   #1
Aquavaj
Registered Member

At about what tank volume does it become prohibitedly expensive for most people?

I think even at 100g it's still manageable but as you approach 150g and more the cost starts to add up fast. Not only in the cost of the tank and stand but also the equipment, ongoing maintenance and electricity cost. Also you're gonna need much more livestock to really fill out the tank.

I had a 100g before and recently had an opportunity for a free 180g tank and metal stand but that desire quickly faded when I thought about how much $ is needed to really do the tank justice.

Aquavaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2018, 05:55 PM   #2
zachfishman
Registered Member

Same here. I was offered a free 180, stand, and could get most of the equipment and rock really cheap. The cost of filling it with livestock alone at the time kept me away.

Tampa Bay Reef Club BOD 2018

Current Tank Info: 34g modded Solana
zachfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2018, 06:25 PM   #3
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Really subjective question, I would think it might depend on how much your into the hobby.
If I had to guess I would go with 100 or less......

I just run a 65g, and I am into it for $5k, likely $100 a month to,run all in....

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2018, 06:26 PM   #4
Alfrareef
Registered Member

It depends on your ego...

Alfrareef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2018, 08:00 PM   #5
WVfishguy
Registered Member

The lighting might be costlier in a 180, than, say, the 90 display (which I set up the end of February of this year) because of the greater water volume.

But if I were to go to a 180 (preferably a 150), I could run the same skimmer, the same 75 gallon sump, and two 9.5 Supreme pumps that I'm running in my current 90 gallon display. It still would be enough filtration and flow for a 150 or possibly even a 180 - although I might add another sump pump.

I would add two more Aquaclear 110s for more water movement and more places to put carbon, GFO, etc.

Larger tanks are more efficient at maintaining steady temperatures, so extra heaters would not be needed. I don't have a chiller, but I'd have to believe it would take more electricity to cool than the tank I have now.

As far as more money to stock the tank due to more volume, I believe corals would have more room to grow and simply fill it up faster.

I set my 90 gallon display up less than five months ago, and the corals are rapidly expanding to the point of running out of room. I now wish I had used a 125 - I have a couple left over from my business.

A single montipora frag, which was thumbnail size four months ago, is now two separate corals, and each is now more than eight inches across. Bits of montiporas scattered in crevices are now pushing out of the rockwork.

The candy cane which had two heads only two months ago now has 9 heads.

The chalice coral is exhibiting growth similar to the montiporas.

The cyphastreas (meteor showers) are growing much slower but I'm sure in a few more months they will encrust large rocks.

I have no acroporas (yet) but a good size birdnest appears to be growing well.

I like xenias and have three types, as well as green star polyps and zooanthids, and all are thriving.

I also like gorgonians and have a few large ones which are growing well.

From an bare rock tank in late February to one which is pretty well stocked today, it doesn't seem to take long for many SPS types to fill a tank.

In short, I can't see where livestock cost would be prohibitive for a large reef simply because they grow out so well with more room. Lighting and cooling seem to be the biggest disadvantages to going with a larger tank.

BTW - this is the first mainly SPS tank I've set up. Is my experience normal? It it normal SPS corals to grow at this rate? I had softies before, and I know they grow like weeds.

I WILL get some photos as soon as I get the chance.

WVfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2018, 08:44 PM   #6
albano
SALTWATER since '73

There’s no rule that you have to ‘fill’ the tank with livestock ASAP. Take your time, add fish slowly and let the corals grow out...

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2018, 08:59 PM   #7
lapin
Registered Member

At about what tank volume does it become prohibitedly expensive for most people?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquavaj View Post
The cost of the tank and stand but also the equipment, ongoing maintenance and electricity cost.
Yes they all cost more, the bigger the tank.
You need to find out what most people what to spend on the hobby and go from there. There is really no set answer.
Like the "5 bucks" cup of coffee vs Mc Dee's coffee vs brew your own. At what level is it too much moola. They all seem to be selling coffee and builders seem to be making small to large tanks. Whats too much?

Current Tank Info: Interior decorating happening
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2018, 09:23 PM   #8
mysticobra
Registered Member

I know I hit my limit on the 69 gallon Red Sea max. Beautiful tank.
I went from 55 to it but had my old tank 16 years. So livestock. Was no problem..
Now comes the fun part. Keeping it nice and clean and healthy.
Just the cleaning part I'm at my limit. Very manageable. Water changes and wiping the glass down. Easy peasy.
Now if I go bigger. Which I can't anyway. Cost would be prohibitive.
Just the right size for me.
Its all individual. What makes you happy.
Now ot having my tank after all these years. Tat would be a big empty spot.
Over 30 years total.
Pun intended.
I just skim the surface of the hobby. I'm lucky.

mysticobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2018, 09:23 PM   #9
Joe0813
Registered Member

the bigger the tank the more expensive equipment and cost of running becomes. I have a 180 so its no to bad but it definitely cost more than my 75 did

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2018, 11:04 AM   #10
rjjr1963
Registered Member

When you go from a 48" long tank to 72" you'll need another set of lights. If you're using high end lights that could be big $$$.

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon reef
rjjr1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2018, 08:51 PM   #11
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I think cost goes up more slowly with tank size. Sure, a 400 costs more to run than a 200; but not double. When I went from 265 to 450, other than the actual tank, I didn't need all that much more equipment - one more light and a few more powerheads.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote