Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/12/2018, 08:16 PM   #1
teddscau
Registered Member

Question Unique Reef-Safe Critter Suggestions?

Hey guys, things are going well with my 90g. I'd like some suggestions on fish-safe, coral-safe, and invert-safe critters. I feel I keep reading about the same fish, but I want something unique. To give you an idea of the sort of critters I like (but aren't necessarily compatible with my tank):

Dragonface pipefish
Seahorses
Seadragons
Frogfish
Anglerfish
Eels
Engineer goby
Firefish
Flame fairy wrasse
Banggai cardinalfish
Pajama cardinalfish
Mandarinfish
Sharks
Cephalopods
Pom Pom crabs
Mantis shrimp
Sea bunnies
Sea slugs
Tuxedo urchins
Tunicates

So, do you have any suggestions for unique critters to put in my tank? Again, I don't want anybody munching on each other.

Dotty the firefish, Delilah and Little Henry Ocellaris clownfish, Pixel (convict tang) and Darwin (blue tang), pyjama cardinalfish, Riku and Kenji the orchid and elongate dottybacks, and Jeremy (yello

Current Tank Info: 160g reef tank with mushrooms, leathers, zoas, SPS corals, NPS corals, firefish, a school of pyjama cardinalfish, a pair of designer Ocellaris, two tangs, a striped blenny, two dottybacks, and a watchman goby
teddscau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2018, 06:18 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Cucumbers..
Starfish..
Sponges..
Clams..
Scallops..
Sea Apples..

Unread 07/13/2018, 07:42 PM   #3
Valentini89
Registered Member

I'm a big fan of the Valentini puffers, but any cathigastar puffer is small enough to go in your tank. They are very nice to watch.

Current Tank Info: 26g bowfront QT tank, -- 150g tall = http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2671045
Valentini89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2018, 05:26 AM   #4
OrionN
Moved on

Firefish
Flame fairy wrasse
Banggai cardinalfish
Pajama cardinalfish
Mandarinfish
Pom Pom crabs
Sea bunnies
Sea slugs
Tuxedo urchins
Tunicates

Of your list, these are reef safe and will do well in a usual reef tank. The others have problems in a usual reef tank for one reason or other. Also if something is unique then you won't be able to find/get it.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2018, 07:32 AM   #5
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Keep in mind while safe, Mandarin fish require tons of Copepods so you need:
A) lots of rock
B) a mature tank greater than 1 year.
C) no other comptetion for Copepods.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2018, 09:43 AM   #6
Salty Waffles
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
Firefish
Flame fairy wrasse
Banggai cardinalfish
Pajama cardinalfish
Mandarinfish
Pom Pom crabs
Sea bunnies
Sea slugs
Tuxedo urchins
Tunicates

Of your list, these are reef safe and will do well in a usual reef tank. The others have problems in a usual reef tank for one reason or other. Also if something is unique then you won't be able to find/get it.
I'm curious, why didn't the Engineer Goby make your list?

Salty Waffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2018, 09:45 AM   #7
OrionN
Moved on

They get large and dig a lot and undermined the structure of the rockworks.
They are called engineering goby because they rebuild things like rock works.

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip

Last edited by OrionN; 07/14/2018 at 10:06 AM.
Unread 07/14/2018, 03:23 PM   #8
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Cucumbers..
Starfish..
Sponges..
Clams..
Scallops..
Sea Apples..
And hard to keep particularly for newbies.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2018, 03:29 PM   #9
hkgar
Registered Member

From your list I would only consider

Engineer goby - destructive to landscaping and could cause falling rock work
Firefish
Flame fairy wrasse
Banggai cardinalfish
Pajama cardinalfish
Mandarinfish Mature tank ONLY
Pom Pom crabs
Tuxedo urchins
Tunicates-I don't know anything about this one.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
Unread 07/14/2018, 04:24 PM   #10
lapin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Waffles View Post
I'm curious, why didn't the Engineer Goby make your list?
They are the movers and shakers. I have a Sleeper Banded Goby(Amblygobius phalaena). It is perfectly clean under all my rock work. If my rocks didnt weight 25 to 40 lbs it would prob move them.
If you have a high flow tank, I would skip the Banggai cardinalfish and Pajama cardinalfish. They do not like to swim out in the current if it is fast moving.

Current Tank Info: Interior decorating happening
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2018, 05:09 PM   #11
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Cucumbers..
Starfish..
Sponges..
Clams..
Scallops..
Sea Apples..
Sponges can put out toxin when they die. Becareful not get them out of the water. If they got air in their Chanels part of them may die because the air will stop some of their circulation.
Some star fish are easy to keep other eat other things and impossible to keep. Scallops are filter feeders and will not last in a normal reef tank. Sea Apple will release toxin when they died or stress and can Kill your tank if they stressed die in the tank.

Last edited by OrionN; 07/14/2018 at 05:20 PM.
Unread 07/15/2018, 02:15 AM   #12
Steve175
Registered Member

The last engineer goby I had spun its head around 360 degrees, levitated, and then spoke in an incredibly loud an creepily low voice. . . they are the spawn of satan IMHO. . . they move more earth than a California fault line. . .

Current Tank Info: 2 separate 250G bowfront rimless ELOS tanks plumbed to 260G sump, 220G refugium, 220G frag, BK DeLuxe 300, 400W MH x4, closed loops, 3/4hp chiller x2, Phos reactor, Kalk reactor, Charcoal reactor, Ca reactor, 60G surge tanks, & a huge elec bill
Steve175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2018, 12:54 PM   #13
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve175 View Post
The last engineer goby I had spun its head around 360 degrees, levitated, and then spoke in an incredibly loud an creepily low voice. . . they are the spawn of satan IMHO. . . they move more earth than a California fault line. . .
Well put

Unread 07/15/2018, 01:10 PM   #14
bluecoyote79
Registered Member

I just got my first tuxedo urchin and really it. If you have enough algae for it to eat, I think they are interesting to watch. Non reefers seem to like them too.

Current Tank Info: DSA 65g w/ 20g sump, two AI Hydra 52s, Skimz SM-163 skimmer and Reef Octopus DC-5500 return
bluecoyote79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2018, 05:48 PM   #15
Salty Waffles
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
They get large and dig a lot and undermined the structure of the rockworks.
They are called engineering goby because they rebuild things like rock works.
No argument here. I have one that is ~7" right now and he's a digger for sure. I think my little tiger pistol shrimp has him outdone though. He is literally building a tunnel by stacking old shells and rubble from one rock pile to another right now. He's been working on it for a week or two now. It's fascinating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
From your list I would only consider

Engineer goby - destructive to landscaping and could cause falling rock work
10-4. In my case, all my rockwork is secure on the tank floor. My base rocks are all quite large. 20+ lbs. Hopefully I'm safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapin View Post
They are the movers and shakers. I have a Sleeper Banded Goby(Amblygobius phalaena). It is perfectly clean under all my rock work. If my rocks didnt weight 25 to 40 lbs it would prob move them.
How big is you Sleeper Banded?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve175 View Post
Nothing but LOL here!

Salty Waffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2018, 06:11 AM   #16
billdogg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddscau View Post
Hey guys, things are going well with my 90g. I'd like some suggestions on fish-safe, coral-safe, and invert-safe critters. I feel I keep reading about the same fish, but I want something unique. To give you an idea of the sort of critters I like (but aren't necessarily compatible with my tank):

Dragonface pipefish
Seahorses
both of these pretty much require a species specific tank due to feeding needs and their very timid nature
Seadragons
requires a temperate water tank
Frogfish
Anglerfish
will eat anything that might come close to fitting in their mouths
Eels
Depending on species, will eat either your fish or your inverts. In addition, they tend to be very messy eaters producing way more waste than most reef tanks can handle
Engineer goby
get large and tunnel everywhere. If your base rocks are on the glass, not on top of the sand, then maybe
Firefish
Flame fairy wrasse
Banggai cardinalfish
Pajama cardinalfish
All of these are nice, but fairly common fish that do well in most systems
Mandarinfish
same feeding problems as pipefish and seahorses
Sharks
most are too big and require large systems. Very messy eaters
Cephalopods
short lived escape artists
Pom Pom crabs
Cool looking, but often stay hidden so can be difficult to enjoy
Mantis shrimp
may eat your fish
Sea bunnies
Sea slugs
both are beautiful in their own way, but can be toxic when the die, especially in smaller systems
Tuxedo urchins
Urchins are the bulldozer of the sea. As long as all rockwork and frags are secure you should be ok.
Tunicates
very fragile shippers, and will often appear on their own in a well established tank. My 120DT has several small colonies, but some of my rocks have been with me for 30 years

So, do you have any suggestions for unique critters to put in my tank? Again, I don't want anybody munching on each other.
IMHO, the most spectacular looking fish I have ever kept are Leopard Wrasses. Get a couple/3 as small juveniles/females and allow one to make the change to male. They are excellent at pest control and are model citizens in your reef. They can be delicate shippers, so proper QT procedures (TTM/prazipro) are very important. They also require at least a couple inches of sand to sleep in so keep that in mind as well.

hth!

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2018, 06:11 AM   #17
flawedexistence
Registered Member

Fighting Conch.
Porcelain Crab

flawedexistence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2018, 01:03 PM   #18
hkgar
Registered Member

Always interesting when the OP asks for suggestions (help) then doesn't join the conversation?

Unread 07/19/2018, 12:04 AM   #19
jorda9095
Registered Member

jorda9095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2018, 09:08 AM   #20
teddscau
Registered Member

Hi guys! Sorry for not responding sooner. The leopard wrasse seem really cool. I've never heard of them before. I'll have to buy more sand for my tank. I wanted to have a deep sand bed for my tank, but the guy at the store talked my dad out of it :/

I bought a tuxedo urchin, three lettuce slugs, a sea hare, Balanophyllia, and a Crocea clam. Unfortunately, the sea hare became unresponsive the next day and died during the night. I was really upset. I'll have to get some more sea hares at some point. It was a Dolabella.

The rest of them seem to be doing well, so that's nice. The clam finally latched onto his perch. I have LEDs, so I put him really high in the tank to make sure he gets enough light.

I've actually been looking into fighting conches and porcelain crabs as well. I really love invertebrates, so this tank's going to be filled with them. I'm also hoping to get a pair of acropora crabs as well.

How many fish would you say I could comfortably keep in a 90g? I want to have Banggai cardinalfish, pyjama cardinalfish, firefish, flame fairy wrasse (1 male, 4 females), leopard wrasse... My parents said they NEED to have a pair of Ocellaris clownfish >_>. Dad also wants a small school of blue reef chromis if there's room.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Oh, jorda, is that cuttlefish(?) full grown?

Dotty the firefish, Delilah and Little Henry Ocellaris clownfish, Pixel (convict tang) and Darwin (blue tang), pyjama cardinalfish, Riku and Kenji the orchid and elongate dottybacks, and Jeremy (yello

Current Tank Info: 160g reef tank with mushrooms, leathers, zoas, SPS corals, NPS corals, firefish, a school of pyjama cardinalfish, a pair of designer Ocellaris, two tangs, a striped blenny, two dottybacks, and a watchman goby
Unread 07/21/2018, 02:03 PM   #21
hkgar
Registered Member

Sorry but tell dad to nix the Blue Chromis. They will kill each other off.
Quatity of fish is dependent on the efficiency of the bio filtering system (rocks and sand).

Like everything else in this hobby, go sllllow when adding fish (the bio filtration has to increase with each additional bio load (fish, inverts) and have a plane on order of introduction based on aggressiveness, Most aggressive last.

Never forget the two rules of reefing:
1. Nothing good happens fast, GO SLOW.
2. Go even slower than that.

Not a rule but VERY strongly suggested, each new fish MUST go through TTM and Quarantine. You do NOT want to introduce Ick to your tank.

Unread 07/21/2018, 02:09 PM   #22
OrionN
Moved on

Fairy wrasses cannot be keep in group. They will turn male and there will be WWIII. You can keep multiple fairy and/or flasher wrasses but only one per species in your 90 gal tank.
You can keep harem of Leopard Wrasse but not Fairy or Flasher wrasses. Despite of what books and older information said, you will end up with one per species of flasher and fairy wrasses in a tank.

Last edited by OrionN; 07/21/2018 at 02:36 PM.
Unread 07/21/2018, 05:29 PM   #23
teddscau
Registered Member

Are you sure Chromis cyaneus (blue chromis) can't be kept in schools? Every site I've been on says they can be kept in schools. Hmm, okay, just checked some forums and apparently those fish are idiots. Thanks for the heads up!

With flame fairy wrasse, I read that it's a good idea to have a male and a harem of females. I guess to be safe I'd keep them in the quarantine tank for several months to make sure none of the females turn into males. If one does, then I guess I'd have to sell him/her. And what's with marine critters changing sex? I wish freshwater could. I have 3 female crystal red shrimp and 40+ males. Like, what the heck. I don't want that many males >_<.

I'm kind of interested in those little cuttlefish...

Oh, and I'm trying to take things slowly, but everyday, several times a day, my parents whine about wanting a pair of clownfish. I swear, if they don't shut up about those stupid clownfish...

Unread 07/21/2018, 06:54 PM   #24
OrionN
Moved on

Fairy wrasses are relatively new comers to aquariums. Earlier writing on these fishes were wrong. It seen that they all turn males even with the alpha male in the tank. When this happen one will most likely die.
It seem like there are very few exceptions. I do have two Lubbocki in my 320. They seem to be semi OK. I know of three Flame Fairy Wrasse that have been together in a 8’X4’ tank. They came in as three females about 18+ months ago. Now they are 2 males and one submale. Seem to do OK in this huge tank.
In a 90 gal tank I would rec against having more the 1 Flame fairy wrasse.