Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/16/2018, 09:43 PM   #1
930Reef
Registered Member

Green flower looking thing on Kenya tree

Hi, all,

The attached softie was identified as a Kenya tree by some helpful members for me--I'm new to the hobby. As of today, there's also a little trumpet-shaped flower looking thing next to the tree, with a green center. It's circled in the attached pic (sorry for the pic quality--it's an impossible angle as it's deep in the LR).

Any ideas what's going on here?

Thanks!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kenya Tree Flower Pic.jpg (69.9 KB, 82 views)
930Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2018, 10:27 PM   #2
zooman72
Registered Member

Looks like a zooanthid polyp...

Current Tank Info: Marine: Pair of 40B's, 45W, 50g cube, ADA 45F at home...IM Nuvo 20 and 10 at office!
zooman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2018, 03:06 PM   #3
930Reef
Registered Member

Much better picture!

Thanks for the input so far. Any ideas with this improved pic? I re-scaped some rock, so I was able to get a better shot. It seems to be attached with a stalk to the main Kenya.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kenya Tree Green.jpg (44.9 KB, 41 views)
Unread 02/18/2018, 03:11 PM   #4
zooman72
Registered Member

Yep, looks like a common green palythoa zooanthid - harmless addition (i.e. won't harm anything in the aquarium), but just don't handle it or try to remove it manually without researching palythoa toxin!

Current Tank Info: Marine: Pair of 40B's, 45W, 50g cube, ADA 45F at home...IM Nuvo 20 and 10 at office!
Unread 02/18/2018, 10:31 PM   #5
930Reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooman72 View Post
Yep, looks like a common green palythoa zooanthid - harmless addition (i.e. won't harm anything in the aquarium), but just don't handle it or try to remove it manually without researching palythoa toxin!
Thanks, zooman! I thought it might be. I've done plenty of reading on the toxin since your first post (and a bit before), so I'll be leaving it the heck alone. Beautiful surprise though!

One last question: it seems to be growing from what I thought was a kenya tree. Any chance the zoa just also has a tree-ish thing attached to it?

Thanks!

Unread 02/19/2018, 01:49 AM   #6
zooman72
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 930Reef View Post
Thanks, zooman! I thought it might be. I've done plenty of reading on the toxin since your first post (and a bit before), so I'll be leaving it the heck alone. Beautiful surprise though!

One last question: it seems to be growing from what I thought was a kenya tree. Any chance the zoa just also has a tree-ish thing attached to it?

Thanks!
No problem, glad to help.

Your other coral is a "Kenya tree" coral (Nepthea sp. probably), and it probably picked up a "hitchhiker" along the way (i.e. from being near a zooanthid colony while in the original aquarium).

Unread 02/20/2018, 12:07 PM   #7
Optionman
Registered Member

the kenya tree will drop branches and grow like a weed, and it stings other corals, so be careful. i cant get rid of it fast enough. good luck.

Optionman is offline   Reply With Quote