Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/18/2016, 09:40 PM   #26
theblennyman
Registered Member

i just got one and so far it is still thriving after two weeks. it seem to go after frozen foods with other fish.

theblennyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2016, 12:50 AM   #27
ThRoewer
Registered Member

D. janssi in one of my reef tanks

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2016, 05:29 AM   #28
2smokes
Moved On

Verry beautifull that d jansii.I wanted to buy the jansii pipefish and one of the striped ones but ive always feared they need live food like most of the seahorses.Now i feel sorry i didnt buyed them after i read they eat well frozen food.Ive heard they have short lifespan,maybe you breed them.These clearely worth the effort to breed them because they are expensive ,rare and it shouldnt be too hard to rear the fry.

2smokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2016, 02:46 PM   #29
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Janssi and bluestripe pipefish go very actively after frozen mysis and are well capable of competing with rather aggressive eaters.
With the Dunckerocampus species I would be more cautious as they don't like high flow as much as the Doryrhampus species (which actually seem to like it if it is in intervals with low flow periods).

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2016, 10:12 PM   #30
rayjay
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2smokes View Post
live food like most of the seahorses.
Actually, most seahorses now have been trained to eat frozen mysis shrimp.
There are not many wild caught seahorses sold any more, at least here in North America.

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2016, 08:17 PM   #31
Joey_bananas420
Registered Member

I have a pair of dragon faces in a sps reef tons of flow. Doesn't seem to bother them at all. The swim together all day picking pods from the holes in my live rock

Joey_bananas420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2018, 06:53 AM   #32
metasyntactic
Registered Member

Sorry for the thread necromancy. I'm curious, it sounds like flagfins are more resilient than I'd read. Would I be able to keep one in a tank with a Bubble Tip and stinging corals?

metasyntactic is offline   Reply With Quote