Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/20/2018, 11:00 AM   #1
Fattony66
Registered Member

Adding a refugium

Hello, I want to add a refugium to my 100gl bowfront reef tank. Should I buy a new sump with refugium Area or should I purchase a cpr hob large refugium? Any info is highly appreciated!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fattony66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2018, 11:12 AM   #2
lapin
Registered Member

Depends on the amount of work you want to do. Both will work. If you need a new sump and have the cashola and like a big project then go for it. If you want to do less work and dont mind the look its a good option. There are a few you tube videos that might help you decide.

Current Tank Info: Interior decorating happening
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2018, 11:20 AM   #3
lowtek
Registered Member

Hi. So do you already have a sump that doesn't have a refugium? If so you can add a remote refugium thats plumbed to your tank with a valve to adjust flow. If you have space. Problem with that is you might need a custom tank thats drilled for an overflow unless you use a simple bucket or rubbermaid tub, something thats easy to drill to provide a proper drain. A hang on fuge can be diy with an aqua clear 110 for a good pod fuge. Or there are many other options. Im sure someone who has much more experience than me will chime in. Hope this helped a bit. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

lowtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2018, 12:26 PM   #4
Fattony66
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowtek View Post
Hi. So do you already have a sump that doesn't have a refugium? If so you can add a remote refugium thats plumbed to your tank with a valve to adjust flow. If you have space. Problem with that is you might need a custom tank thats drilled for an overflow unless you use a simple bucket or rubbermaid tub, something thats easy to drill to provide a proper drain. A hang on fuge can be diy with an aqua clear 110 for a good pod fuge. Or there are many other options. Im sure someone who has much more experience than me will chime in. Hope this helped a bit. Good luck.

Unread 07/20/2018, 12:31 PM   #5
Fattony66
Registered Member

Thanks for the info. I already have a sump but it does not have a refugium section. That’s why I was debating buying a new sump with Fuge section or a hob. I’m not crafty enough to build it to my existing sump, so I was going to buy something. Do the pods have a hard time getting back to dt from the sump

Unread 07/20/2018, 12:48 PM   #6
lapin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fattony66 View Post
Do the pods have a hard time getting back to dt from the sump
Not really. They will get pumped back in as long as there is nothing like floss to block them.

Current Tank Info: Interior decorating happening
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2018, 10:06 PM   #7
lowtek
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I already have a sump but it does not have a refugium section. That’s why I was debating buying a new sump with Fuge section or a hob. I’m not crafty enough to build it to my existing sump, so I was going to buy something. Do the pods have a hard time getting back to dt from the sump

If you have the chips, by all means, buy a sump/fuge that you really want. Question is, like others stated do you want one or do you feel you need one? Im new to this but when it came to my sump/refugium, I got a refugium because I wanted a refugium. Do I want a zeo vit or whatever type system uhh no. Just my thoughts brotha or sista. Have fun. Peace.

Unread 07/20/2018, 10:11 PM   #8
lowtek
Registered Member

A almost whole system pic minus lights and ato reservoir . Refugiums are dope...get one. lol

Unread 07/21/2018, 12:09 AM   #9
Fattony66
Registered Member

Wow. Yeah. Sump with refugium it is. Now the question is do I purchase a trigger, icecap, or bashsea???? Any experience on these???

Unread 07/21/2018, 01:24 AM   #10
lowtek
Registered Member

Quote:
Wow. Yeah. Sump with refugium it is. Now the question is do I purchase a trigger, icecap, or bashsea???? Any experience on these???

Unfortunately no experience with those. I was about to go for the Trigger Triton sump. But went local and got mine from crystal reef aquatics because i had my tank made by them so he gave me a discount on sump.