Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/29/2011, 06:21 PM   #26
steevareno2002
Registered Member

Yes, mine is too.

steevareno2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2011, 07:11 PM   #27
MarkGP
Why do I do this?

I had a 120 for 5 years on the second floor apartment I lived in. It wasn't against a wall either and never had any problems. If it is fairly new construction you should be fine!

MarkGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2011, 10:34 PM   #28
MattinIdaho
Registered Member

I have worried about this. Our plans for the location of our tank put it against a bearing wall but would run with our floor joists. It will only be sitting on one joist that is 17" from the bearing wall so this would be basically holding all of the weight. I am going to call the joist manufacturer in the morning to see if I can talk to an engineer to get his take.

MattinIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2011, 05:04 AM   #29
MarkGP
Why do I do this?

That is a lot of weight for one floor joist! I would definitely try to find a spot where you can put it across several joists.

Unread 03/30/2011, 05:39 AM   #30
redsoxfan692
Registered Member

Yeah I wouldn't put that much weight on one joist. It might be ok for a little while, but in my experience with keeping fish, it's always better to err on the side of caution, especially when dealing with this situation.

redsoxfan692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2011, 05:43 PM   #31
MattinIdaho
Registered Member

I talked with an Engineer this morning. He was very helpful and very thorough. He went over everything I had, tank size, sump size, stand, lr, ls etc. We came up with 2000lbs which is what I had calculated for a 120 with a 40 sump. He took my stand dimensions and came up with 144lbs per foot I believe.
Final judgement is no way in hell can that tank be supported upstairs. For the record, my home is only 2 years old so new has nothing to do with it.
If you don't know which way your joists run, there is no way I would risk it. If the tank could span 2 joists it would be fine but not just one. My tank would be directly over the top of all of my ductwork so there is no way to shore it up either.
My options are to move the tank downstairs and wait to set it up when we get our basement finished next year or to downgrade to a smaller tank.
I may set up a 55 upstairs for now and then set up the 120 next year down in the mancave. Gotta run it by the house manager first though.

Unread 03/30/2011, 05:46 PM   #32
MarkGP
Why do I do this?

So your floor can't take a person standing on it?

Unread 03/30/2011, 06:45 PM   #33
James77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGP View Post
So your floor can't take a person standing on it?
It would be a mass of people standing in the same area for a prolonged period of time. Just because a floor does not immediatley buckle does not mean that some serious long term structiral problems could develop from having a heavy mass in such a concentrated area that was not intended for it.

Current Tank Info: 120g Mixed Reef and 75g Freshwater
James77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2011, 06:57 PM   #34
MarkGP
Why do I do this?

144 lbs/sq.ft. is not a lot of weight....long term or short term!

Unread 03/30/2011, 07:12 PM   #35
Virtuoso
Registered Member

I've seen a few threads about this and my interest is pretty much morbid curiosity, as my tank is on the first floor of my house. I read this but I am still throughly confused - http://www.african-cichlid.com/Structure.htm

Virtuoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2011, 08:20 PM   #36
MattinIdaho
Registered Member

Quote:
Don't quote me on the 144lbs per square. I was working and maybe didn't hear right.
I'm just reporting what an engineer for the joist company figured out for me. He also said that it was not even close to fudging the numbers and making it work.
Sure it can be and is done all of the time without even giving it any thought.
Doesn't mean it's right or safe.

Unread 03/30/2011, 08:31 PM   #37
dakineacct
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtuoso View Post
I've seen a few threads about this and my interest is pretty much morbid curiosity, as my tank is on the first floor of my house. I read this but I am still throughly confused - http://www.african-cichlid.com/Structure.htm
Thanks, that link gives a really good explanation of floor loads related to aquariums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattinIdaho View Post
Don't quote me on the 144lbs per square. I was working and maybe didn't hear right.
I'm just reporting what an engineer for the joist company figured out for me. He also said that it was not even close to fudging the numbers and making it work.
Sure it can be and is done all of the time without even giving it any thought.
Doesn't mean it's right or safe.

If your 120 has a footprint of 4'x2' (common size) and the wieght is 2,000 lbs, that would be 250 psf. And 250 psf, or even 144 psf, can be a significant load on a residential floor depending on where it is applied and over how large of an area it is applied to. In your case, not placing your 120 on the second floor parallel to the joists, and only over one joist is a good call.

Unread 03/30/2011, 08:56 PM   #38
James77
Registered Member

Quote:
Something raised a flag to the engineer of the joists in his house that made him come not even close to giving the stamp of approval on the tank. As dakineacct noted, it is more likely more towards 250 lbs/sf. If it was just one square foot, it would be fine....but we are talking a foot print of 8 of these square feet, all with the same 250 pounds, all together. Over time, it will most likely stress the joists and could definitely cause problems.

Current Tank Info: 120g Mixed Reef and 75g Freshwater
James77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2011, 09:49 PM   #39
MattinIdaho
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtuoso View Post
Thanks a ton for that link!! That was a great read and helped to explain things.
I don't think I told the engineer the footprint of the tank, only the footprint of my stand which is 6'x26" (I was thinking ahead in case I ever upgrade). I'm sure that's why it wasn't the 250fps that dakineacct calculated. I'm sure your right with your calculations.
After reading that info that was posted I am even more comfortable with my choice to not put it in the family room (although it would look killer in there)!!

Unread 04/02/2011, 01:58 PM   #40
3mm3
Registered Member

Just wanted to say thanks for all the input. I think im going to skip the 120g and just go with a 75g for now.

3mm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2011, 02:23 PM   #41
IMM3DOORSDOWN
Registered Member

im sure you already gotten an answer but i speak from experiance.you can i had two 120 gal fish tanks in the same room one on one side and one on the other and i lived on the third floor.

Current Tank Info: PAST EXPERIANCE::180 gal fish only,120 gal reef,65 gal MAN TANK lionfish and eel,54 gal corner dwarf angel tank. CURRENT. WORKING ON 90 gal MIXED REEF, 29 gal sump & refuge.20 gal long qt tank.120 gal uv steralizer.29 gal fowlr and annemonies
IMM3DOORSDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2011, 09:55 PM   #42
MattinIdaho
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMM3DOORSDOWN View Post
im sure you already gotten an answer but i speak from experiance.you can i had two 120 gal fish tanks in the same room one on one side and one on the other and i lived on the third floor.
If they were both spanning 3 or more joists I do not think it would be an issue.

Unread 02/07/2012, 04:11 PM   #43
OrionN
Moved on

I think the floor are support by 2X6 at least. Our house we use 2X10 but who know what apartment building use. You need to spread the ank out over several suppoet beam if possible. Don't use those metal stands where the whole tank weight bear by the four leg on the floor. I would like to think that the floor should bear the weight of a 120 g tank without problem

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2018, 02:06 PM   #44
wsoldier
Registered Member

Digging through this old thread since I'm looking into the same thing for my 3rd floor condo. Did you go with the 120G?

wsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2018, 05:13 PM   #45
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsoldier View Post
Digging through this old thread since I'm looking into the same thing for my 3rd floor condo. Did you go with the 120G?
Not a problem at all putting a 120g in your 3rd floor apartment.
Enjoy..