Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Upstate Reef Society
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/25/2010, 05:35 PM   #251
solRNY
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt & pam View Post
Nice tank.

What is your plan for landscaping in the tank? How do you plan to address humidity in the display room? If heat becomes an issue for the votechs, perhaps you could have a false back created to enclose the dry side of the pumps and just tint the two exposed sides of the back. The dry sides/wiring could remain hidden but also outside of the overflow.

Will this be barebottom or do you plan any sand?

Matt
hi matt, thanks for the kind words

as for landscaping... please dont laugh, i am thinking i want to try and use acrylic sheets to make "sweeping waves and arches", something like a 3D infiniti symbol, something 3D... not sure at all... not sure if i can even form the acrylic sheets,

regarding humidity, were planning to add a "Heat Recovery Ventilator" unit to the home at some point, not sure if this will be the fix all...

this will be a BB with will be very little sand, just enough to give some texture from the sea of black

great idea about the false back, thanks! have to compile all these ideas together and see which will work out best

solRNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2010, 05:43 PM   #252
solRNY
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific Reefs View Post
I think you may end up putting the vortechs on the back of the tank, near the top and near the corners. If you have 2 that close it might be too much flow in that area imo. That would also solve any heat issues. Oh and maybe you can cut the top on the dry box and make it a mangrove holder?
thanks for the input tom, i think your right, in the end the mp40s probably be in the corners, two mp40s might be too much for the center,

i like mangroves, i like green petals, actually we have lots of orchids in the house probably not helping with the humidity issue, have to get rid of the redundants

hows your rock scaping coming along?!! cant wait to see what you come up with

Unread 03/26/2010, 04:19 AM   #253
matt & pam
Registered Member

I've seen some who create an acrylic "pathway" and ziptie small liverock to create a "floating" architectural reef. Sounds like an excellent idea for your tank.

Here is an example of one idea:

matt & pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2010, 04:19 AM   #254
matt & pam
Registered Member

http://media.photobucket.com/image/a...b/DSC05388.jpg

Unread 03/26/2010, 05:56 AM   #255
shawna1972
Registered Member

Tank is jaw dropping! Love your attention to detail on this build! I love the island placement as well. Cant wait to see this tank up and running!

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon in wall,30 gallon sump,mag 18 pump ran external.T5 Nova Extreme Pro lighting,BRS GFO/Carbon reactor,Octopus skimmer,Coralife125 super skimmer.
shawna1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2010, 08:11 AM   #256
solRNY
Registered Member

Quote:
this i believe is the famous "bonsai inspired" scaping, its truly one of a kind! it does have a 3d effect... probably end up with something similar

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawna1972 View Post
Tank is jaw dropping! Love your attention to detail on this build! I love the island placement as well. Cant wait to see this tank up and running!
thanks for the compilments shawna! i think we will stick with the island placement even though the tank is not ideal for it-missed that detail, arg

going to begin the basement framing soon, so there wont be anything exciting for a while... besides receiving some new toys

took this picture becuase my wife pointed the difference to me, i now can see.... just thought it was interesting

Unread 03/27/2010, 10:00 AM   #257
superkat
Premium Member

the tint in the glass?

Unread 03/27/2010, 10:02 AM   #258
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

okay to the basement with you and get the floor supported !

Dave

Current Tank Info: 40 freshwater,25saltwater 2000 gallons ,enough tanks for an army ?
iamwrasseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2010, 12:16 PM   #259
Capt_Cully
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superkat View Post
the tint in the glass?
Starphire front and sides, regular glass on back.

Current Tank Info: 120, Radion Gen 2 Pro x 2
Capt_Cully is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2010, 01:30 PM   #260
Pacific Reefs
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solRNY View Post
this i believe is the famous "bonsai inspired" scaping, its truly one of a kind! it does have a 3d effect... probably end up with something similar

thanks for the compilments shawna! i think we will stick with the island placement even though the tank is not ideal for it-missed that detail, arg

going to begin the basement framing soon, so there wont be anything exciting for a while... besides receiving some new toys

took this picture becuase my wife pointed the difference to me, i now can see.... just thought it was interesting

Its definitely a big difference!!!

Pacific Reefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2010, 01:45 PM   #261
solRNY
Registered Member

Quote:
the tint in the glass?
she says its looks more greenish, but i think its looks more frosted, what do i know about colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Cully View Post
Starphire front and sides, regular glass on back.
hi mark, you are correct about the starphire, i know no difference until my wife pointed it out, and am now stuck noticing it, seems to be more pronouce as someone mentioned with thicker glass you see more of the difference...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwrasseman View Post
okay to the basement with you and get the floor supported !
heheh, as my wife is not home i tend to procrastinate a lot more

but i did manage to create this drawing, its a very rough sketch, since we want a humidity sealed fish room i figure the room framing can aid to support the fish tank instead, doing it this way i have no obstruction in the room to place things...

i think it should work, being that the sytrofoam didnt even get crushed under 500lbs due to distrubtion of weight i figure if i distrubute the weight on lots of 2x4s(maybe 2x6?) that i dont need to support directly under the tank, let me know what you guys/gals think as i tend to do things wrong the first time.. and the second time

Unread 03/27/2010, 01:59 PM   #262
Henry Colf
Registered Member

I can't wait to see this thing filled and in action.....

Henry Colf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2010, 03:48 PM   #263
toddmh
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Colf View Post
+1 this tank is pure epic goodness lol

1.Starry Blenny
toddmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2010, 06:44 PM   #264
Henry Colf
Registered Member

Man you ain't kiddin......

Henry Colf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2010, 07:29 PM   #265
Av8bluewater
Registered Member

Great ideas. Thanks for sharing.
I love the vortech dry box but like said it may not be optimal flow.

Av8bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2010, 07:35 PM   #266
aquadonkey
Registered Member

Maybe you would get more help with the technical stuff in the DIY section.
We all just want you to fill it!
Fill it!!!

29g DT, 15g sump/fuge

Current Tank Info: 29g DT, 15g sump, 30 lbs LR, 3" LS, 4x24W T5
aquadonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2010, 12:38 PM   #267
matt & pam
Registered Member

How tall is your basement ceiling?

My tank is starphire glass, be careful b/c it does scratch easier than normal glass. It's worth every penny to have the clearer visual though.

Unread 03/28/2010, 12:43 PM   #268
superkat
Premium Member

here's my question before responding to the bracing deal....when was your house built?

Unread 03/28/2010, 03:21 PM   #269
solRNY
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific Reefs View Post
Its definitely a big difference!!!
too bad there wasnt a number scale for these type of things

Quote:
me too, but i think there is another obstacle coming up sortly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddmh View Post
+1 this tank is pure epic goodness lol
wow, thanks you so much! i hope it turns out ok

Quote:
Man you ain't kiddin......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8bluewater View Post
Great ideas. Thanks for sharing.
I love the vortech dry box but like said it may not be optimal flow.
the dry box idea is not my own, i had thought about building one for my 30gal a while back but never implemented it, there a video on youtube with a tank that has over 10x mp40s in his two dry box, also, theres another thread on RC that has a cube tank with a dry box implemented as well, his (D2MINI, i think) design is much better in that it can not flood the mp40s,

i am playing with the mp40s as of now in a 10gal, cant not really study its flow in such a small tank, so hopefully there is an option built in this setup that will give me adequate flow

i find the new driver to be soooo confusing as it uses colors for different modes, pink and light pink! arg! i also find it to be loud, especially in nutrient export mode(two rapid short pulses), i think the dry box will make them sound even louder...

and also, like many of you have pointed out, these do get hot, and it seem to keep the 10gal water very warm, yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquadonkey View Post
Maybe you would get more help with the technical stuff in the DIY section.
We all just want you to fill it!
Fill it!!!
hehehe i too want to see if it will hold water, more so how high the water line is, possible enough for a small wave, and the waterfall effect from the overflow

Quote:
How tall is your basement ceiling?

My tank is starphire glass, be careful b/c it does scratch easier than normal glass. It's worth every penny to have the clearer visual though.
the basement ceiling is 9ft,
thanks for the heads up, are you using any special type of a "magfloat", ones especially made for starphire?

Quote:
here's my question before responding to the bracing deal....when was your house built?
our home was built in 2004, the joist are engineering i-beams, i could not find how much weight these can with stand, from the drawing there is already 3 of the of these i-beams directly under the tank and 2 near it, so that might be good enough? but i think i am needing more assurance by means of more reinforcments just in case

cant wait to hear what you think

i did manage to seal up some hair line cracks on the basement walls today, this is going way too slow i was reading on how to remodel the basement and there are a ton of ways to do it, so i am now left confused more than ever...

Last edited by solRNY; 03/28/2010 at 03:33 PM.
Unread 03/28/2010, 11:07 PM   #270
superkat
Premium Member

ok...2004 is good as far as the construction being new...here's the thing that worries me...over the course of the years with the tank being in the center of the floor, and as the floor settles, which, in older houses, most of the settling has already taken place, you are going to get fluctuations in the leveling of the tank itself. Where the beams you plan on adding might be sufficient, in fact, they probably are...the tank is not sitting on a support wall and is a good deal away from the support beams. I understand your desire of wanting to not break up space in the basement...believe me, i didn't want to either...

the 120g is sitting on a support wall...but the front is not...and rather than have to deal with it later...years later...although the effects of settling, even gradually will start to show on your water line at the top of the tank...i decided to be safe than sorry. So we went with the support beam in the basement, as well as adding to the existing beams directly underneath. Ok, so this was a month ago. We had to adjust the bracing once already...and with a full tank? Not so easy. I would hate to see the slightest bit of settling disrupt the integrity of how the tank sat...

if you can live with it... i'd brace it...if not..the next best thing would be to do as you illustrated and also reinforce the crossbeams directly under the tank that run in the opposite direction. I also would recommend implementing "jacks" (basically 1x4's angled and crossed) at alternating intersections under the tank.

if you can email me a workable drawing (like the one you posted) i may be able to illustrate what i mean if what i just said makes no sense to anyone but me....lol.

Unread 04/09/2010, 01:22 AM   #271
stone.david
Registered Member

would love to see some updates and pictures

stone.david is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2010, 06:14 AM   #272
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solRNY View Post
our home was built in 2004, the joist are engineering i-beams, i could not find how much weight these can with stand, from the drawing there is already 3 of the of these i-beams directly under the tank and 2 near it, so that might be good enough? but i think i am needing more assurance by means of more reinforcments just in case
Can you post the dimensions? Is there any blocking between the beams? What's the distance the beams span?

It's probably not going to be a problem, assuming they're correctly sized and correctly blocked. Modern home construction techniques are vastly more stable (i.e. resistant to sagging, going out of level, etc) than anything typically built in the past. My home is typical of an "old" home in that it has a post-and-beam frame that was assembled from gigantic raw lumber, and a mosty-dry set stone foundation. It shows - the house is crooked. A modern home built with composite beams and a stable foundation shouldn't change over time to anywhere near the same degree.

Then again, many modern homes aren't nearly built to code, so you never know. . .

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2010, 03:44 AM   #273
matt & pam
Registered Member

I use a hammerhead float magnet for glass. Just be sure to change out the velcro relatively often so you don't have calcarious stuff growing in it that will cause the scratches. And do not let sand get in the velcro as you clean.

Unread 04/10/2010, 07:10 AM   #274
solRNY
Registered Member

Quote:
ok...2004 is good as far as the construction being new...here's the thing that worries me...over the course of the years with the tank being in the center of the floor, and as the floor settles, which, in older houses, most of the settling has already taken place, you are going to get fluctuations in the leveling of the tank itself. Where the beams you plan on adding might be sufficient, in fact, they probably are...the tank is not sitting on a support wall and is a good deal away from the support beams. I understand your desire of wanting to not break up space in the basement...believe me, i didn't want to either...

the 120g is sitting on a support wall...but the front is not...and rather than have to deal with it later...years later...although the effects of settling, even gradually will start to show on your water line at the top of the tank...i decided to be safe than sorry. So we went with the support beam in the basement, as well as adding to the existing beams directly underneath. Ok, so this was a month ago. We had to adjust the bracing once already...and with a full tank? Not so easy. I would hate to see the slightest bit of settling disrupt the integrity of how the tank sat...

if you can live with it... i'd brace it...if not..the next best thing would be to do as you illustrated and also reinforce the crossbeams directly under the tank that run in the opposite direction. I also would recommend implementing "jacks" (basically 1x4's angled and crossed) at alternating intersections under the tank.

if you can email me a workable drawing (like the one you posted) i may be able to illustrate what i mean if what i just said makes no sense to anyone but me....lol.
thanks kate for your detailed thoughts as always it is much appreiciated , i did not realize it continues to settle for sometime, having something adjustable is almost a must, so i meet up with a few poeple this past monday including our contractor, we decided to go LOTS and STRONG and came up with this:

we will install 4x 16'1/3" engineer ibeams(violet) to those exiting(gray), trying to do all the calculation but its soo confusing, maybe after some more coffee the brain cells will start working

i finally found the datasheet, the ibeams are the nordic 11 7/8 NI-40X:
http://www.zytechtruss.com/downloads...evaluation.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_wille_zur_macht View Post
Can you post the dimensions? Is there any blocking between the beams? What's the distance the beams span?

It's probably not going to be a problem, assuming they're correctly sized and correctly blocked. Modern home construction techniques are vastly more stable (i.e. resistant to sagging, going out of level, etc) than anything typically built in the past. My home is typical of an "old" home in that it has a post-and-beam frame that was assembled from gigantic raw lumber, and a mosty-dry set stone foundation. It shows - the house is crooked. A modern home built with composite beams and a stable foundation shouldn't change over time to anywhere near the same degree.

Then again, many modern homes aren't nearly built to code, so you never know. . .
hi there der, the ibeams are 11 7/8" x 2.5", there nothing blocking between beams, the beams span are 16" on center, i fgure we have 2 options: either try to install the exact dimensions beams(left side image) or go with something shorter and sheem the ends(right side image), i perfer the first.

i do agree with homes not being built to code as i can see some evidence of that, i tend to think the builder and inspector often have lunch together...

Quote:
I use a hammerhead float magnet for glass. Just be sure to change out the velcro relatively often so you don't have calcarious stuff growing in it that will cause the scratches. And do not let sand get in the velcro as you clean.
i was going to get the mag float for acrylic, come to think about it i dont think you can change out the pad, thanks for the advice!

Unread 04/10/2010, 07:29 AM   #275
superkat
Premium Member

this is great news...i'm so glad you got in touch with someone! that is exactly what i was talking about...and the I beams in illustration #1 would also be my recommendation. I know it's alot of extra work...but in the future, you will be glad you did it!