Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > SpectraPure
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 05/25/2018, 03:24 PM   #1
Poopapotamus
Registered Member

Odd TDS readings on RODI

Hello,
I have been noticing a strange TDS meter reading lately on my MaxCap 90GPD 5 stage. lately when I run it, on the second TDS meter (the one measuring my output water, I get a reading of around 2 TDS going into the DI resin, and a higher number coming out (5-12). This doesn't make sense to me? I am in the time frame that I should be replacing my filters, so I am guessing that is part of the issue, but I don't understand how I can have 2TDS going in and something higher coming out? Just to state the obvious, I have not touched the TDS meters since the system was initially set-up, and the system was put in by the local custom aquarium guy, so I am pretty sure it is correct.
Thanks In Advance
Ron

Current Tank Info: 108G drop off reef, Eshopps RS-300 sump, Kessel A160W & A360W, 2x Jebao SW-8, Apex Controller
Poopapotamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/01/2018, 10:24 AM   #2
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

Hey Ron,

I apologize for not responding to this post when it came out 6 days ago, we really seem to be having issues with getting notifications about new threads. I'm going to get this resolved asap so we don't miss this.

That is quite odd, I would take the probs out and clean them to ensure accurate readings.

Replace the filters - clean the probes and see what the reads may be. Keep me in the loop and feel free to reach out to me via email [email protected]

Daniel

Old 06/22/2018, 04:25 PM   #3
Poopapotamus
Registered Member

Hey Dan,
Thanks for the reply. I was checking back, but didn't see a reply so I finally gave up, but I also wasn't notified that you had replied which I usually am for my other posts... curious!?
I am happy to report that whatever the issue was it has resolved itself after a few days. I was happy to find this part of the forum as a result of this though, as I have learned a lot. My system was set-up by the custom aquarium outfit, and they had it so it would refill my barrels as soon as the float valve was activated. I now let them run down to 1/4 of my second barrel before turning the dI system on. As a result I am getting really clean water now.... 136 input which is cut down to 2 with just the RO filter (an impressive 99.98 rejection), and this is easily pulled down to 0 with the remaining filters.
Thanks Again for your help
Ron

Current Tank Info: 108G drop off reef, Eshopps RS-300 sump, Kessel A160W & A360W, 2x Jebao SW-8, Apex Controller
Old 06/22/2018, 04:29 PM   #4
Poopapotamus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopapotamus View Post
136 input which is cut down to 2 with just the RO filter (an impressive 99.98 rejection)
Ron
Whoops forgot to convert that to percent... (Still impressive 98.5% rejection)

Old 06/25/2018, 08:04 AM   #5
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopapotamus View Post
Hey Dan,
Thanks for the reply. I was checking back, but didn't see a reply so I finally gave up, but I also wasn't notified that you had replied which I usually am for my other posts... curious!?
I am happy to report that whatever the issue was it has resolved itself after a few days. I was happy to find this part of the forum as a result of this though, as I have learned a lot. My system was set-up by the custom aquarium outfit, and they had it so it would refill my barrels as soon as the float valve was activated. I now let them run down to 1/4 of my second barrel before turning the dI system on. As a result I am getting really clean water now.... 136 input which is cut down to 2 with just the RO filter (an impressive 99.98 rejection), and this is easily pulled down to 0 with the remaining filters.
Thanks Again for your help
Ron
Hi Ron,

Not sure why you didn't receive a notification, but glad you came back to let me know whats going on. Here's a good read on TDS Meters in our FAQ Page!

Reef Central is great for many reasons! The members, the sponsors, and the content! It's my go-to forum for all my reefing needs.

Which system do you have? If you have the MaxCap (or system using MaxCap DI & SilicaBuster DI or MegaMaxCap & Enduro) then you can use this tip to save on resin but also get the best bang for your buck!

-- Once you replace your filters, keep an eye on the LEFT TDS METER - OUT reading and your RIGHT TDS METER - IN reading. This is essentially your POST membrane RO water and the MaxCap DI ppm going into your SilicaBuster.

-- Once your RIGHT TDS METER IN reading is HALF of your LEFT TDS METER - OUT reading, you can replace the MaxCap DI but your SilicaBuster should still be putting out 0ppm water. You can essentially change the MaxCap DI 2-3 times before needing to change your SilicaBuster.

Example; your LEFT TDS METER - OUT reading is 6. Once your RIGHT TDS METER - IN shows 3, change the MaxCap. You should be able to do this 2-3 times before needing to change the SilicaBuster.

You can also reach me anytime via email - [email protected]

Happy Reefing

Daniel