Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/10/2008, 10:31 AM   #1
Chihuahua6
Premium Member

Problem with plumbing inside overflow, help

I have a center overflow box that's a trapezoid shape. The return holes are on the angled sides of the box. Due to the angle I can't get the pvc pipe to come up inside the over flow and through the holes. The angle doesn't allow the pieces to match up right no matter what I do using pvc pipe and fittings.

Can I add some kind of flexible piping to attach to the pvc pipe inside the overflow? This would allow me to bend it to the right angle to exit the return holes. Is there some type of lockline for this application?

Current Tank Info: First salt tank 1985, current tank 150 g acrylic
Chihuahua6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2008, 10:55 AM   #2
james3370
Registered Member

as far as locline goes, it depends on the size.....to my knowledge i have only seen 1/2 & 3/4 locline

can you post a pic cause i'm sorta unsure what you are describing, but yes they make flexible pvc

there's no place like 127.0.0.1

It's a shame that stupidity isn't painful....

Current Tank Info: currently tankless....but planning an AIO
james3370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2008, 02:02 PM   #3
ReefEnabler
Premium Member

are you going to use threaded bulkheads for the return? if so, using too much flex PVC on the return might limit the amount of torque you have for unscrewing the return line for maintenance.

keep in mind that you can take elbows or 45s and cut the socket length down and you can make a bend or angle to fit whatever size is necessary. you might just not be thinking of it correctly. post a pic and we can make suggestions.

but yes I used regular old 3/4" locline to go through the little 'gate' in my overflow teeth, that might be all you need.

"that is enough skimmate to ruin lives." - GSMguy

Current Tank Info: 220g Display, 70g sump, 35g frag, 50g fuge, 2x250w MH, 1x400w MH, 2x80w T5, 2x140w VHO Actinic
ReefEnabler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2008, 08:14 PM   #4
das75
Registered Member

I have two overflows and using Flex-PVC in both. The Flex is between the bottom bulkheads and the 90° elbows in the sides of the overflows.

das75 is offline   Reply With Quote