Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/27/2016, 11:21 AM   #126
drtrash
Registered Member

Would assume once the gha starts to fade cyano will be back again

drtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2016, 09:35 PM   #127
jason2459
Registered Member

Day 30 7x doses @160ml total

Cyano looks to be on the way out but I would not be surprised to see another resurgence.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2016, 07:25 PM   #128
jason2459
Registered Member

Day 31 7x doses @160ml total

Really the only place I'm seeing cyano now is the far right side of my tank. Not to bad. Only took a couple weeks to see a reduction in my dinoflagelets and 31 days for cyano to recede to almost nothing. Normally if I just let it do its thing it takes a few months to see the dinos and cyano visually disappear. And keep in mind my nutrient import is still increased. Export hasn't changed.

Hair algae still looks good. It's been a long time since I've had hair algae in my tank at all so I have no frame of reference or memory how long it took to go away. I had several bouts of various kinds of algae towards the start up of my tank including bryopsis so I'm no stranger to it.

But I'm not worried about its presence and actually happy to see it. I'm very curious where this will go finishing out this dosing.

I'm going to reduce my feedings to their normal high amounts now and probably reduce the vibrant dosing to once a week. I'll probably just update this thread now if there's any major changes like the cyano explodes back to life again or the hair algae finally goes away. I have no plans to touch it.

I also want to do some more tests with the product itself. So, this doesn't end this thread just the daily updates.

Last set of trouble spot pictures.

Yes, that's a sunken submarine. Christmas present from my son.

And everything else has looked just fine. New frag for Christmas too.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
Unread 12/29/2016, 08:06 PM   #129
jason2459
Registered Member

Ok, last set of pictures. Had someone ask what the rest of the tank has looked like. Well, while I was highlighting ugly stuff the rest of the tank looked fine. Sand white and no unsightly growths.

Everything that you see right now started as tiny frags beginning of the year and end of last year. Some have done well and some have had a hard time recovering from an ATO overdose while I was gone for a couple weeks which some did not make it.

Unread 12/30/2016, 01:34 PM   #130
drtrash
Registered Member

After 4 weeks of 2x pr week switched to 1x, 80% GHA gone, cyano coming on faster than previous treatments, weekly 5% water change, majority of cheato gone. Thinking I am approaching the final cyano surge. No inverts have been affected by treatment

Unread 12/30/2016, 07:21 PM   #131
jason2459
Registered Member

that algae is not nearly as dense on top of the powerhead now

Unread 12/31/2016, 03:54 PM   #132
jason2459
Registered Member

My Turbos Aquatics ATS hasn't been impacted at all. Can see it was pushing out to the insides on both sides where it's flattened.

Unread 01/06/2017, 01:29 PM   #133
jason2459
Registered Member

Several people have had a hard time finding bacteria in Vibrant. I've looked several times now, many more then I've posted, to keep double checking to make sure I'm seeing what I'm seeing is correct. The bacteria in there that I find most interesting are both the streptococcus and some type of very very small bacteria that's very hard to see. I certainly can not see it in my eyepieces. I have to close the iris a lot to almost closed which making using the eyepieces useless as it's way to dark. Then I use my camera software to increase the exposure a lot, bump up contrast and brightness to full. Even then it's tough to see and focus on. So, I really haven't been posting pics of them as you can't see them in still images against the other noise and in video its like I said can't focus on them but you can see their movement.

One thing I was looking for last night was some live streptococcus so here's a video of that but also went ahead and got some of the other bacteria in there that's about impossible to focus on. This is why I'd love to get a nice set of phase contrast lenses.

At ~1000x can see this streptococci moving around. Through the eyepieces I could easily make out the individual coccus that chain together to make the streptococci which I also confirmed with gram staining previously a few times. My eye pieces are stronger then the Camera's.
https://youtu.be/lFoCGyWago0?list=PL...G4MWUYrW3ZbFrc

At 2000x it's tough to focus on the very small and started closing off the iris to help which starts to make the eyepieces useless. Through out you kind of see the other bacteria in there moving around but it's tough to see.
https://youtu.be/sbGUX1nNA9Q?list=PL...G4MWUYrW3ZbFrc

Unread 01/06/2017, 02:03 PM   #134
jason2459
Registered Member

And if you're still having a hard time seeing it fast forward that second video to 3 minutes and 48 seconds and look out for this little critter I circled in this picture. Is well under 10um and probably around 1-5um.

VibrantBacteriaCircled by Jason, on Flickr

To give a sense of scale.

1mm calibration slide. Each division is .01mm or 10um(micrometer/micron).

With the 100x lens or around 2000x in that second video here's the what it looks like to scale
CalibrationSlide100x by Jason, on Flickr

Last edited by jason2459; 01/06/2017 at 02:12 PM.
Unread 01/07/2017, 09:11 AM   #135
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

I started dosing this stuff 3wks ago. Time will tell.

Unread 01/07/2017, 09:48 AM   #136
sde1500
Registered Member

Stopped dosing last week. Did a dose every Monday and Friday. Tank cleaner now than it has been in many months. Didn't affect this red algae I had on a drag, or bubble algae. But annihilated my GHA and some brown snotty stuff. This is the best before and after I can do.
Before:

After:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2017, 09:53 AM   #137
jason2459
Registered Member

It's very interesting how it seems to be very selective or goes in a certain order of what it effects.

My hair algae has not been affected at all yet. This was my first week of only dosing 1x. I dosed last Sunday and skipped Wednesday. I have gone back to feeding my normal overfeeding habits. So, lets see what happens now.

Unread 01/07/2017, 10:07 AM   #138
drtrash
Registered Member

I did 4 weeks of 2x and now on 2nd week of 1x, gha gone, can't see any ba, but cyano ? Is a weekly chore of vacuuming off. Hoping that ends soon. There where no direction on bottle for patience. Also had some byopipysssssss, gone

Unread 01/07/2017, 10:33 AM   #139
sde1500
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2459 View Post
It's very interesting how it seems to be very selective or goes in a certain order of what it effects.

My hair algae has not been affected at all yet. This was my first week of only dosing 1x. I dosed last Sunday and skipped Wednesday. I have gone back to feeding my normal overfeeding habits. So, lets see what happens now.

Yea that is odd. I've been following along here wondering why your GHA hasn't been touched. I didn't have any cyano though so that may be a part of it? Vibrant for you is all used up fighting cyano back while for me GHA is first because there wasn't much else.

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
Unread 01/09/2017, 11:39 PM   #140
scuzy
Registered Member

Ok dosed my first 10 ml in this test tank. Let's see how vibrant works. So shoulder I dose 2x this week?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2017, 07:01 PM   #141
scuzy
Registered Member

So do you do two dose per week initially?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2017, 07:05 PM   #142
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

I am sticking to the bottle directions...

1ml per 10gal once every 2wks for less dirty tanks

Or

1ml per 10gal weekly for more dirty tanks

Unread 01/10/2017, 07:05 PM   #143
jason2459
Registered Member

I would follow the directions on the bottle. Unless you have an extreme outbreak of something like if you look at the pictures of the thick cyano and dinoflagelets matts I had. Then I would start off with 2x per week for at least a couple weeks then cut back when you see major die off. Like for me by day 7-8 I should probably could have cut back to 1x per week. I would also manually remove every day what ever it is you're trying to get rid of.

Edit: This was per UWC's input and guidance. It's not on the bottle.

Last edited by jason2459; 01/10/2017 at 07:53 PM.
Unread 01/11/2017, 08:34 AM   #144
schnebbles
Registered Member

Does this stuff kill so much that snails & cuc, tuxedo urchin wouldn't have enough to eat? I am not sure if I have dinos (starting to think I may) and was contemplating this stuff yesterday.

The stuff I'm getting goes away overnight and gets really bad during the day. If I stir it up it looks really slimy and moves about in fairly big pieces. I don't think it's diatoms. It almost goes towards a purple color.

schnebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2017, 08:47 AM   #145
sde1500
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnebbles View Post
Does this stuff kill so much that snails & cuc, tuxedo urchin wouldn't have enough to eat? I am not sure if I have dinos (starting to think I may) and was contemplating this stuff yesterday.

The stuff I'm getting goes away overnight and gets really bad during the day. If I stir it up it looks really slimy and moves about in fairly big pieces. I don't think it's diatoms. It almost goes towards a purple color.
I don't have many snails at this point, but I do have an urchin. Much of my algae has been eradicated, but there is still some left. The urchin is all over the tank and I can see that the rock gets cleaner behind it, so thus far I'm not worried that there won't be enough for it to eat. Something to keep an eye on though for sure. I have some nori just in case.

Unread 01/12/2017, 07:55 AM   #146
drtrash
Registered Member

After 6 weeks looks like cyano is finally surrendered, about half the amt on rocks and nothing on sand compared to last week. This will be my last weekly dose and will go to every other week. I know I messed up the experiment but started h2o2 at week 4, dino never showed up so not sure how common or peroxide is good tool

Unread 01/13/2017, 10:42 PM   #147
jason2459
Registered Member

Since December 20th I've had 20ml of Vibrant sitting around with it loosely covered to allow evaporation. I've weighed it almost everyday with .001g accuracy. Past few days the weight has remained the same.

Empty container

With ~20ml Vibrant added as measured by the cup it comes with

After evaporation (I'm sure all water hasn't evaporated but close enough lol)

Very thick and sticky

Unread 01/14/2017, 08:18 AM   #148
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Since December 20th I've had 20ml of Vibrant sitting around with it loosely covered to allow evaporation. I've weighed it almost everyday with .001g accuracy. Past few days the weight has remained the same.

Empty container

With ~20ml Vibrant added as measured by the cup it comes with

After evaporation (I'm sure all water hasn't evaporated but close enough lol)

Very thick and sticky
Why are you doing this? I'm curious.

Unread 01/14/2017, 09:02 AM   #149
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullBoreReefer View Post
Why are you doing this? I'm curious.
Why do people climb Mt. Everest? Seems like an incredibly silly thing to do just because it's there. Yet, people still do it.

Unread 01/14/2017, 12:10 PM   #150
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Why do people climb Mt. Everest? Seems like an incredibly silly thing to do just because it's there. Yet, people still do it.
I guess you missed my point, never mind,