Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/08/2017, 11:47 AM   #1
AquaFox
Registered Member

Questions about a reef tank and stocking it

Hello,
I have been learning everything I can about reef tanks for the past 6 months. I have a 75 gallon tank set up with live rock and live sand and I was wondering if I can add corals after the fish are in the tank. If not I will wait to get proper lighting for the coral and wait for the fish but still, I would like to have tips about my stocking list. Anyways, my dream list is:

(I know that this list would overstock the 75 gallon majorly, so I just wanted to put the ideal quantities for each species. If recommended, I am highly open to changing the number of fish so they can stay happy and healthy. I just would like suggestions on which ones would bring out the most of the tank. The only one I persist on keeping in the tank is the One Spot Foxface.)

1 One Spot Foxface
2 Ocellaris Clownfish
1 Purple Dottyback
5 Blue Reef Chromis
1 Hi Fin Red Banded Goby

After recommendations of fish, I would like to know which corals may fit with the fish. Thank you!

AquaFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2017, 08:07 AM   #2
Sk8r
RC Mod

The dottyback is a potential problem: purples are gentler than some, but i can tell you from experience that the yellow dotty is a fishkilling maniac. The foxface grows 10" long and is venomous. The rest are fine.
Fish don't care about light. I'd say go for your high fin, maybe 2 of them if you can get a mated pair. You might look at my stocking list (sig line) for quiet and compatible fish that would be fine for a 75.
Corals are all ok with fish. The fish I have won't eat them. Angels in general can't be trusted with corals. And foxface have been known to take after green ones.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2017, 11:34 AM   #3
slyseekr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
The dottyback is a potential problem: purples are gentler than some, but i can tell you from experience that the yellow dotty is a fishkilling maniac.

+1 on Dottybacks being bullies, the only one I'd ever consider adding to a tank would be an Elongate and they've been known to get a bit aggressive as well. A great alternative would be an Assessor of some sort, super peaceful fish, or maybe a Royal Gramma!

slyseekr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2017, 11:58 AM   #4
ichthyogeek
Registered Member

If you really like the look of a purple dottyback, but don't like the temperament...orchid dottybacks are basically the same fish, but less aggressive.

Ditch the goby or get a species that's much bigger. I have one in my 55 gallon tank, and it's taken up residence in the rockwork, so I rarely see it. I love the look, but Stonogobiops species IMHO should be housed in 29 gallon tanks or smaller to allow for better observation.

I'd also replace all of those chromis with either an anthias or a flasher wrasse: same activity in the tank, but less of a bioload.

Back after a 5 year hiatus.
ichthyogeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coral advice, fish advice, tank stocking