Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/31/2017, 05:46 AM   #1
CaptD103
Registered Member

Red Sea Reef Care Program

Hi everyone, I'm new to the hobby about 10 months ago. I have a 65 gal tank with about 15 gal. in a sump. Have a snowflake eel, a mocha clown, an azure damsel, a flame angel, and a blue eye kole tang. All of the fish seem happy and stress free. I'm looking to start with the red sea reef care program and am looking for some advice. I recently tried to switch to Fritz's RPM salt with horrible results. Was finding ALK readings in the low 5's. Switched back to reef crystals and things are starting to get back under control. I am dosing with nopox daily. Current parameters are ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 3, phospate ~0, calcium 440, alk 7.5, mag 1410, and sg 1.025, pH 7.7. Any help would be appreciated. I have 1 pump dosing nopox and 1 free at the moment. Looking for the best way to get started improving my tank. I have a mix of corals, mostly soft but some stoney stuff, and I'd like to add more. I've noticed that I'm losing about 10ppm in calcium daily and alk is dropping ~0.2/day. Just looking to see the best way to get started, and to correct my parameters. Concerned about the pH being low. It always use to be 8.2. Wondering if there is a good use for my 1 remaining pump or if I need to invest more in pumps for the red sea reef care program. Thanks for any input!

CaptD103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2017, 07:41 AM   #2
nereefpat
Registered Member

7.7 pH is just fine, btw. You could use your remaining pump for kalk. That would replace alk, Ca, and raise the pH. I'm sure it's much cheaper than the Red Sea Care Program too.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dosing, parameters, red sea reef care program