Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/13/2017, 09:20 AM   #1
MermaidCrown
Registered Member

Talking College report on aquarists lovers

Hi guys, I'm a college student writing about saltwater fish and freshwater fish lovers. I'm very curious to know how a lot of people got into aquarists like for example my father would buy tiny small fish for me and that's how I got into it. I have never owned saltwater fish but hoped one day I would

my questions
Did you start off with freshwater fish or jump right into saltwater? Or Did you have a family who was into. Did you think it would be easy starting your first tank? How did it feel once you got everything setup? What issues did you have when setting up your first tank? What was your first fish and why did you pick it? What advice would you give to someone who's just starting off?

My other advice what things could I talk about on my information on aquarists?

MermaidCrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2017, 09:38 AM   #2
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MermaidCrown View Post
Hi guys, I'm a college student writing about saltwater fish and freshwater fish lovers. I'm very curious to know how a lot of people got into aquarists like for example my father would buy tiny small fish for me and that's how I got into it. I have never owned saltwater fish but hoped one day I would

my questions
Did you start off with freshwater fish or jump right into saltwater? I started with fresh and moved into salt once I bought a house. I knew moving a salt water tank is risky and a real pain.Or Did you have a family who was into. No family, I was the first.Did you think it would be easy starting your first tank? I assumed it was tedious and expensive, under estimated by a lot.How did it feel once you got everything setup? Truly enjoyed the set up process. Very rewarding to see the progress. Education is a constant in this hobby.What issues did you have when setting up your first tank? Algae / nutrient control. What was your first fish and why did you pick it? Clown fish. Relatively easy to keep and afford. Instant salt water satisfaction also.What advice would you give to someone who's just starting off? Research and go slow. Nothing good happens fast in this hobby. Also be prepared to spend more than you think.

My other advice what things could I talk about on my information on aquarists?
Red are some replies. Best of luck.

Unread 11/13/2017, 02:59 PM   #3
Papermonkeys
Registered Member

Did you start off with freshwater fish or jump right into saltwater?
I've always had random fish growing up had a hard time keeping them alive, and as I'm older and more into the hobby now I completely understand hah. I started seriously in college with fresh water, which I kept (and still keep) until I found a more permanent place to live in which I set up a saltwater tank (I've always wanted to but didn't have the time/funds/confidence).

Or Did you have a family who was into. Only one
As far as I can remember only me

Did you think it would be easy starting your first tank?
Wasn't really sure, but I did a lot of research so I was much more prepared then as a kid. I thought setting up a saltwater tank would be super challenging, but so far (only about 4 months in) I haven't had too many big issues. The biggest thing is just do your homework and take your time I think.

How did it feel once you got everything setup?
It is quite a great feeling. I know personally I can sit in front of them for hours and just watch. It's a weird calming sensation as well as very interesting/entertaining to watch all of the different parts of the ecosystem interact.

What issues did you have when setting up your first tank?
With fresh water I'v always struggled keeping plants alive. Losing fish always sucks too, I had a sick batch of cardinal tetras whip out like 30 fish out of my freshwater community too. I guess thats on me for not quarantining

What was your first fish and why did you pick it?
I can't remember for fresh water, but I've always had an angel in my community as well as rams I love rams haha. For SW first fish was a pair of clowns just like most. They seem relatively easy to care for, hard to go wrong.

What advice would you give to someone who's just starting off?
Always read up on fish before you purchase them. Take your time. If possible setup a QT tank. Also if possible see if you can have the store feed the fish to make sure the one/ones you want are eating.

Good luck!

Papermonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2017, 03:08 PM   #4
Sk8r
RC Mod

I started when I was 6, and salt water fish weren't an option. I experimented with keeping seahorses when I was in grad school. I tried an unsuccessful 10 gallon tank some years later. Got a proper 100 gallon system years after that, and it worked. (Size matters: small tanks are a real tough balancing act.) Mostly I've had both. My advice to a starter is simple: buy equipment before you buy fish or corals, research what you need, and buy as big a tank as you can possible fit in. Big is easier. Join a website and talk to other members, and don't ever figure there's an easier route than the one advised. Many disasters happen from somebody figuring he can shortcut the processes and rush things.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2017, 07:17 AM   #5
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Started with salt in a 30g. Now I'm trying to downsize from 4 tanks (125,65,50 & 25) to 2 (125 & 50).

Or Did you have a family who was into.

Nobody in my family had any interest in fish except to catch and eat them!

No, but it was even more of a struggle and learning experience than I thought. I might well have given up on the hobby except for a good local club and the fact that my wife and I love to go snorkeling in the Florida Keys 4 or 5 long weekends a year!

Overwhelmed.

Huge lack of knowledge. When I started 12+ years ago I didn't even know I could keep live coral.

Chromis. Because it was cheap and hearty.

Read, read, study and then find somebody in the hobby willing to help and support your adiction.

Unread 11/14/2017, 08:11 AM   #6
cincyjim
Registered Member

Had fresh water since I was about 6 or 7 years old.

No, just me.

Easy no but my wife really wanted a saltwater tank.

So confused. I didn't have anyone to teach me and reading/research can only do so much for you so I really had no idea if I was doing this right, wrong, or indifferent. Many lessons were learned.

Lack of equipment knowledge. I ended re-buying my light and skimmer and I would have re-bought my sump but there was no way to get the current one out and a new in.

Chromis.

Try to find someone who can give trusted advice and let you know you are doing it wrong

Current Tank Info: SCA 150G, 5 inch sand bed, 2 Tunze 6095s, ReefBreeders v2+ 50" with 2 all Blue Reefbrites, and Continuous Water Change System
cincyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2017, 11:24 AM   #7
nereefpat
Registered Member

One could argue that my wife is an "aquarist lover" and "into aquarists."

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2020, 05:05 AM   #8
JenniferSka
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MermaidCrown View Post

my questions
Did you start off with freshwater fish or jump right into saltwater? Or Did you have a family who was into. Did you think it would be easy starting your first tank? How did it feel once you got everything setup? What issues did you have when setting up your first tank? What was your first fish and why did you pick it? What advice would you give to someone who's just starting off?
Are you doing school project?
1.jump right into saltwater; 2. My father has always been into it. 3. It was difficult starting tank, I was assisted actually; 4. I felt happy and had clear vision how the system works; 5. My first first fish was salmon; 6. yes

JenniferSka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2020, 06:02 AM   #9
billdogg
Registered Member

I (my family) had our first tank when I was 5 or 6. Guppies/mollies/etc. Standard freshwater mishmash of not always compatible fish.

A family friend, who happened to won the first SCUBA shop in Columbus, had a small saltwater tank in the late 60's/early 70's. That and Jacques Cousteau got me hooked on the idea of saltwater fish and diving. Finally got PADI certified in 1990.

The first tank that was 100% mine was a 20g that I set up in the barracks while I was stationed in FLW, MO. I caught whatever I could in the Big Piney. Couldn't have been much easier.

My first marine tank was up in 1989 after I graduated from college. My Mom told me at the time that it was too difficult/expensive and that I'd grow tired of it within a year, tops. It's now 2020 and there has been 1 or more glass boxes of Ocean in my house ever since. I guess Mom wasn't always right?

With the marine tank(s) I had the advantage of dating the owner of a (mostly) marine fish store. I also worked there (unpaid) on my days off from the real job so it really was no big deal.

There was a bunch of learning to do!

Damsels - that's what was used to cycle your tank back then.

READ! I didn't have the resources that are available now. Sometimes, however, I see the internet and the 83,000,000,000,000,000 different opinions (all of whom feel that they are correct as a hindrance as much as it is a help.

Most importantly - NOTHING GOOD HAPPENS FAST!!!

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice needed, beginner aquarium, fish advice