Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/12/2018, 04:46 PM   #1
rsucre
Registered Member

Feeding mysis or brine shrimp via doser

Really don't know under which topic to post this.

I would like to feed mysis and/or brine shrimp via dosing pump. I have read a couple of posts about doing it using a fridge to keep the mysis solution cool.

I wonder if putting the mysis shrimp in a hyper saline solution would prevent it from rotting. It is my understanding that at certain salinity concentration, bacteria will have a hard time proliferating, that's why people in the middle age used salt to cure and maintain their meats for long periods of time without refrigeration.

If the dose is not that large, it would not cause a significant impact on the tank salinity, it would be irrelevant.

What are your thoughts?

p.s. I'm not thinking about a permanent feeding solution, but something for 1 week travels. I think that it would be simpler than using an auto feeder that uses flake or pellets.

rsucre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2018, 06:30 PM   #2
Lakejoery
Registered Member

Very interesting topic, never heard of it before. Ill be following this to see what this is all about

Lakejoery is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2018, 10:34 PM   #3
sean357
Registered Member

Interesting idea, I wouldn't be worried about the drift either for a week here or there.

Why not set up a test to see if it rots with hyper saline water and some mysis. If it starts to go bad you'll smell it. Could there be an issue with the mysis floating to the top of the solution (everything is very buoyant in hyper saline water) and rotting due to exposure to the air. Could you set up a reservoir with no air cap somehow?

sean357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2018, 10:46 PM   #4
ReefkeeperZ
Registered Member

I'm not even sure a partially rotted solution would be detrimental to a tank in drip size (what do we think the reefs feed on? both life and death, available nutrients are food) as long as dosage didn't exceed handling capacity for nutrient import it would be at least some sort of sustenance, even if not top grade (people feed tetra brand foods to their fishes and keep them alive surely slightly or almost rotten mysid can't be worse for a week).

Unread 01/12/2018, 10:48 PM   #5
ReefkeeperZ
Registered Member

I would however make sure I triple rinsed first to remove excess waste before integrating to the solution to start with the cleanest product possible.

Unread 01/12/2018, 10:50 PM   #6
ReefkeeperZ
Registered Member

just FYI
keep in mind, I feed my tank skimmate and introduce silicates because diatoms are great coral food, if you can't wrap your head around that avoid my advice.

Unread 01/13/2018, 08:44 AM   #7
rsucre
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean357 View Post
Interesting idea, I wouldn't be worried about the drift either for a week here or there.

Why not set up a test to see if it rots with hyper saline water and some mysis. If it starts to go bad you'll smell it. Could there be an issue with the mysis floating to the top of the solution (everything is very buoyant in hyper saline water) and rotting due to exposure to the air. Could you set up a reservoir with no air cap somehow?
In my experience, the container can't be air tight for the dosing pump to work without issues. If tight, it starts to create a vacuum and start to dose less and less until it stops. I open a small hole in the cap for air to enter. I have seen other people dosing NOPOX putting a check valve in that second hole. That way, air can enter, but it is difficult for NOPOX to evaporate.

Unread 01/13/2018, 09:39 AM   #8
Smokey Stover
Registered Member

I'm not sure, But in my mind tank water salinity should be enough. I can imagine fish spitting out food that's saturated/too salty for their taste. Just a thought.

Smokey Stover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2018, 09:44 AM   #9
rsucre
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Stover View Post
I'm not sure, But in my mind tank water salinity should be enough. I can imagine fish spitting out food that's saturated/too salty for their taste. Just a thought.
I think that my fish are so voracious that they would eat it regardless. And I would think that as soon as it gets into the normal salinity water, it lose some of that extra salt. Just a thought too. Really have to test an see.

But my guess is that the extra salinity could delay rotting and be useful for that.

Unread 01/13/2018, 10:25 AM   #10
nathanemmerich
Registered Member

Why not just use live brine shrimp?

nathanemmerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2018, 11:03 AM   #11
rsucre
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanemmerich View Post
Why not just use live brine shrimp?
I think that they would not survive alive for long unless you put an air pump or circulation for oxygenation. Then bubbles would also get trapped in the dosing line. Starts getting complicated. Also, the ones suck in the dosing tubing would end up dying too. And probably motile brine would manage to avoid getting sucked by the dosing pump.

Unread 08/04/2018, 04:39 PM   #12
rsucre
Registered Member

I decided to give it a try. Right from the start I got the first challenge. The hypersaline solution causes the brine shrimp to always stay afloat. I guess I could use a magnetic stirrer to mix the solution while dosing.

Unread 08/04/2018, 05:07 PM   #13
Tripod1404
Registered Member

Food stored in hyper saline solution can be unhealthy for the fish. It would be like a person only eating pickled and salted foods.

Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2018, 05:13 PM   #14
rsucre
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod1404 View Post
Food stored in hyper saline solution can be unhealthy for the fish. It would be like a person only eating pickled and salted foods.
Hi. Interesting. I thought that fish would not be affected, since they are in contact with salt all day. Are you sure about that?

Unread 08/04/2018, 05:21 PM   #15
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefkeeperZ View Post
I'm not even sure a partially rotted solution would be detrimental to a tank in drip size (what do we think the reefs feed on? both life and death, available nutrients are food) as long as dosage didn't exceed handling capacity for nutrient import it would be at least some sort of sustenance, even if not top grade (people feed tetra brand foods to their fishes and keep them alive surely slightly or almost rotten mysid can't be worse for a week).
Rotted mysis can kill fish. Not a good idea nor do I think saturating the mysis with salt would be good for the fish either.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2018, 05:26 PM   #16
rsucre
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
Rotted mysis can kill fish. Not a good idea nor do I think saturating the mysis with salt would be good for the fish either.
Thanks for the feedback. I never thought about these things! I guess I will scrap this idea.

Unread 08/04/2018, 05:44 PM   #17
Tripod1404
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsucre View Post
Hi. Interesting. I thought that fish would not be affected, since they are in contact with salt all day. Are you sure about that?
Fish maintain low salt content in their tissues (that is why saltwater fish dont taste salty). This is achieved by their kidneys and special salt excreting cells in their gills. SO when they drink saltwater, salt is filtered out and water is kept.

But the amount of salt you will add to the food is much higher than the salt content of water. It will putt additional strain on the kidneys and salt pumping cells f the gills. It might cause problems in the long run.

Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2018, 05:47 PM   #18
rsucre
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod1404 View Post
Fish maintain low salt content in their tissues (that is why saltwater fish dont taste salty). This is achieved by their kidneys and special salt excreting cells in their gills. SO when they drink saltwater, salt is filtered out and water is kept.

But the amount of salt you will add to the food is much higher than the salt content of water. It will putt additional strain on the kidneys and salt pumping cells f the gills. It might cause problems in the long run.
It makes sense. Thanks!

Unread 08/04/2018, 06:10 PM   #19
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsucre View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I never thought about these things! I guess I will scrap this idea.
I feed thawed chilled frozen mysis to my tank using an Apex Dos and have fed chilled coral food using a GHL Doser 2. The key is being above to run the pumps in revers so you can put the remaing food in the tubes back into the source container. I use a Wine Bottle chiller to keep the mysis cold. The chiller I use goes down to 32* but is now discontinued. I am sure there may be other bottle coolers like this that get into the 30’s. I only keep 3 days of food in the jar to avoid it going bad.

Here is my Dos setup.

Here is my GHL Doser 2 setup.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
auto feeder, dosing, feeding