Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/07/2016, 08:28 AM   #1
jrizo1
Registered Member

Where are the Mini BK Skimmers?

I been wanting to buy a Mini BK 160 and still can find any for sale here in the US
Are they discontinued? see most of the other models but the mini"s

Current Tank Info: 90 gal reef

Last edited by jrizo1; 02/07/2016 at 08:39 AM.
jrizo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2016, 09:13 AM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

We are hoping that they come in with the next container shipment from Germany. There is one schedule to leave Germany in a couple weeks and once they have it packed, I will have a better idea of what's coming in with it. We can double check with the factory though as we have been pushing to get more of the smaller mini's here.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2016, 07:36 AM   #3
rscotti
Registered Member

I have the same issue, ordered one from Aquarium Specialty said 4 to 5 days now it is 2 to 3 weeks which was a week ago, looks to be longer based on what I just read? No stock in the FL warehouse.

rscotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2016, 09:49 AM   #4
ReefClownMIA
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrizo1 View Post
I been wanting to buy a Mini BK 160 and still can find any for sale here in the US
Are they discontinued? see most of the other models but the mini"s
As Scott mentioned above, the US warehouse is currently out of MBK 160's - we only have MBK 200's left in stock. The Mini's have been selling great in the US, so well that we've run out.
Germany is in process of filling a container, I am awaiting confirmation as to which skimmer will be included, however we have requested MBK's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscotti View Post
I have the same issue, ordered one from Aquarium Specialty said 4 to 5 days now it is 2 to 3 weeks which was a week ago, looks to be longer based on what I just read? No stock in the FL warehouse.
Which model did you purchase from AS ?
My recommendation would be to contact Aquarium Specialty direct, as they do occasionally order direct from the factory if we do not have stock.

Current Tank Info: RS Reefer 450

Last edited by ReefClownMIA; 02/08/2016 at 10:01 AM.
ReefClownMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2016, 01:37 PM   #5
rscotti
Registered Member

Ordered the Mini 160 V12 extra slim (needed it for space reasons), they came back and said 2 to 3 weeks.

rscotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2016, 02:04 PM   #6
jrizo1
Registered Member

Scott does it come in 3 different versions?
1. Regular
2. Slim
3. 3 Mini Speedy pump
Thanks

Unread 02/08/2016, 02:47 PM   #7
jrizo1
Registered Member

last question.
will this be too much for a 100G display 20 medium size fish?
Mini Bubble King 200 VS13 with RD3 Mini Speedy

Unread 02/08/2016, 03:07 PM   #8
ReefClownMIA
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Scott does it come in 3 different versions?
1. Regular
2. Slim
3. 3 Mini Speedy pump
Thanks
In the US we have 4 models:
Mini Bubble King 160 - AC Motor (50 - 130 gal)
Mini Bubble King 180 - AC Motor (100 - 200 gal)
Mini Bubble King 200 - RD3 / DC Motor (150 - 265 gal)
Mini Bubble King 200 Extra Slim - RD3 / DC Motor (150 - 265 gal)

Quote:
last question.
will this be too much for a 100G display 20 medium size fish?
Mini Bubble King 200 VS13 with RD3 Mini Speedy
If your bioload is going to be incredibly high, and you're looking at keeping a heavy fish load, similar to a predator tank ... maybe then it would work. Otherwise I'd believe this skimmer will be way over-sized, causing in-consistence at the least.
I'd stick to a 180 if you believe your bio load is medium/heavy.

Unread 02/08/2016, 03:59 PM   #9
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefClownMIA View Post
In the US we have 4 models:
Mini Bubble King 160 - AC Motor (50 - 130 gal)
Mini Bubble King 180 - AC Motor (100 - 200 gal)
Mini Bubble King 200 - RD3 / DC Motor (150 - 265 gal)
Mini Bubble King 200 Extra Slim - RD3 / DC Motor (150 - 265 gal)

If your bioload is going to be incredibly high, and you're looking at keeping a heavy fish load, similar to a predator tank ... maybe then it would work. Otherwise I'd believe this skimmer will be way over-sized, causing in-consistence at the least.
I'd stick to a 180 if you believe your bio load is medium/heavy.
+1..

As Marco mentioned, those on the Mini's that RE offers in the US.

As mentioned, the Mini 200 would be way to large for a 100 gallon display and would prove inconsistent. The Mini 180 would be much more appropriate with a really heavy load. Heck, even the Mini 160 would be up to the task on a 100 gallon display but if the load is going to be heavy, the Mini 180 would work fine.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 02/08/2016, 04:22 PM   #10
jrizo1
Registered Member

Thanks I have the Doble come 180 Rd3 and I am not happy with it. I think is too big for it

Unread 02/08/2016, 05:55 PM   #11
ReefClownMIA
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks I have the Doble come 180 Rd3 and I am not happy with it. I think is too big for it
Jose,
I'm down in Fort Myers, FL - about 2-2.5 hrs south of you.
I saw your prior posts - can you contact me direct? I'd like to help you if possible. Send me a PM with phone number?

-Marco

Unread 02/08/2016, 08:26 PM   #12
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Edit.. Not sure where I got 90 gallon display in my head. At 100 gallon display, it should work "OK". You would have to run it really wet to keep it consistent. These skimmers need enough dissolved organics to fill the neck with enough foam to keep it producing consistently with darker skimmate. In a small system, you will either have to live with darker skimmate but inconsistent performance or run it really wet and have lighter skimmate but better consistency. What is your pump speed and sump depth? Where is the level where the bubbles turn to foam in your neck? What issues are you seeing??

Message Marco. He is based in Ft. Myers. He runs the Double Cone 180 and can give you some tips.

Last edited by slief; 02/08/2016 at 09:18 PM.
Unread 02/09/2016, 01:43 PM   #13
jrizo1
Registered Member

Marco pm send

Unread 02/09/2016, 01:58 PM   #14
jrizo1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
Edit.. Not sure where I got 90 gallon display in my head. At 100 gallon display, it should work "OK". You would have to run it really wet to keep it consistent. These skimmers need enough dissolved organics to fill the neck with enough foam to keep it producing consistently with darker skimmate. In a small system, you will either have to live with darker skimmate but inconsistent performance or run it really wet and have lighter skimmate but better consistency. What is your pump speed and sump depth? Where is the level where the bubbles turn to foam in your neck? What issues are you seeing??

Message Marco. He is based in Ft. Myers. He runs the Double Cone 180 and can give you some tips.
Pump Speed:28
Sump depth:8"
Bubbles to Foam:16"
wedge pipe: wide open
Issues: not producing any skimate, overflowing (when adding water and when feeding fish)

Unread 02/09/2016, 06:45 PM   #15
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Pump Speed:28
Sump depth:8"
Bubbles to Foam:16"
wedge pipe: wide open
Issues: not producing any skimate, overflowing (when adding water and when feeding fish)
If it's overflowing when adding water, that sounds like your water level is changing and increasing which will have a direct impact on the level inside the skimmer. By raising the sump level, you obviously raise the level inside the skimmer and even a slight increase in sump depth can have a big impact on the skimmer. Overflowing when feeding the fish is another story. Most foods that contain oil will kill the foam head temporarily. Mysis is especially known for this. In your case, what ever you are feeding is having the opposite effect. To me that sounds like you may have the skimmer running a bit too wet. I would suggest lowering the pump speed a bit and adjust your wedge pipe as needed.. The lower pump speed would be better suited for that size skimmer anyway. 28 is normally where I would start a 200 sized skimmer. The 180 should be better between 24 and 26 watts. It will provide better contact time and more dense foam.