Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/25/2018, 10:25 AM   #1
PirateLove
Registered Member

Can I use shims under a redsea/cadlights type stand.

My tank is now in a older house with uneven floors and the tank is not level. The front is sloping down. Can I use shims from home depot on the stand or will it affect the integrity of the stand?

Current tank: Cad Lights 42 versa. Kessil AP700. Some Sps and Lps.
PirateLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2018, 11:16 AM   #2
Saltyguys
Registered Member

I used standard wood shims to level out my Red Sea Reefer 170. It has 10 small rubber feet on the stand to allow water to flow out from under it in case you have a leak. I shimmed under 6 of the feet to level it. You can also purchase composite shims if you are worried about moisture. If your stand does not have rubber feet you may want to shim every few inches to give proper support.

Saltyguys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2018, 11:59 AM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Shim away.

Unread 09/29/2018, 10:35 AM   #4
aquamann183
Registered Member

I agree with shims. But something I did that worked nicely was I took a foam mat and cut strips out of it and put it between the aquarium and the stand along the edge. It sort of self levels it because of the foam. But if it's really unlevel definitely use some shims.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

aquamann183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2018, 09:37 AM   #5
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamann183 View Post
I agree with shims. But something I did that worked nicely was I took a foam mat and cut strips out of it and put it between the aquarium and the stand along the edge. It sort of self levels it because of the foam. But if it's really unlevel definitely use some shims.

I think there was a thread (not sure if here or on the other site) about red sea reefer tanks foam between tank and stand are crushed flat on front side of tank, but are pretty expanded at the back side. nobody knows if it is harmful or not, but many RS reefer owners replied to say they see the same on their tank after checking, so now everyone is paranoid.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2018, 03:56 PM   #6
aquamann183
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ughb0y View Post
I think there was a thread (not sure if here or on the other site) about red sea reefer tanks foam between tank and stand are crushed flat on front side of tank, but are pretty expanded at the back side. nobody knows if it is harmful or not, but many RS reefer owners replied to say they see the same on their tank after checking, so now everyone is paranoid.
I could see that being a concern. The Matt I took my foam from wasn't extremely flimsy, but enough where if you stood on it their would probably be a slight foot in print for a minute or so. I used a level and made sure the tank was level with the foam/shims and also used a level while filling the tank to insure nothing crazy happened once it was full. My tank is 150 gallons so I think with that much weight from the tank, sand, rocks, and water that the foam wouldn't be able to resist it. But definitely be careful and take precautions. Each person has different scenarios that may not work with other people's solutions.

aquamann183 is offline   Reply With Quote