Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > SpectraPure
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03/15/2014, 10:31 AM   #26
firebirdude
User and Abuser

Oh and using the cheap ol API test kit, my tap measures right at 7.8-8.0pH and a solid 1ppm Ammonia (whatever type it's actually testing for). I also tested my DI output. 7.2-7.4pH and no ammonia.

firebirdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/17/2014, 10:34 AM   #27
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

http://spectrapure.com/AQUARIUM/WATE...oxide-Test-Kit

If there is no ammonia in the final product water output, then there is no chloramine.

Scott
SpecrtraPure

Old 03/17/2014, 08:43 PM   #28
robthorn
Registered Member

Every so often the water company flushes the lines with Chlorinated water. Those are the days I can smell it in our area in Florida.

robthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/19/2014, 10:40 AM   #29
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

We do offer a one stage DI add on kit for chloramines!

http://spectrapure.com/AQUARIUM/DI-S...-DI-Add-On-Kit

This is very easy to install, and with these being after your DI cartridges, these would last a very long time.

=)

Jeremy

Old 03/19/2014, 04:09 PM   #30
firebirdude
User and Abuser

I saw that kit and was thinking about picking it up. But I want to protect the membrane.

Old 03/19/2014, 04:23 PM   #31
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

Ahh! Then you would want to add a one stage prefilter canister, and it would be the new input of your system. You move your sediment filter there, and your carbon block where the sediment used to be. After that we have a chloramine removal prefilter.

http://spectrapure.com/1-Micron-Chlo...moval%20carbon

http://spectrapure.com/AQUARIUM/FILT...unting-bracket

I hope this helps you out!

Jeremy =)

Old 03/20/2014, 11:25 AM   #32
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

Chloramines

I would not switch out the carbon for the chlor plus. I would buy the additional canister, and the filter. You want as much chlorine removal as you can get.

We do not offer a chloramine test kit, but we do have a chlorine test kit.

Jeremy

Old 03/20/2014, 12:40 PM   #33
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectraPure View Post
I would not switch out the carbon for the chlor plus. I would buy the additional canister, and the filter. You want as much chlorine removal as you can get.

Jeremy
Our chlorine test kit test total chlorine. Ammonia will show up in our test kit.

http://spectrapure.com/Total-Chlorin...e%20test%20kit

Jeremy

Old 06/20/2015, 11:17 PM   #34
seldon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebirdude View Post
Update on a link to your Chloramine test kit? The link in the above posts is now dead.

Some days, I can smell chlorine in my tap water clear as day. Other days, not at all. I have the SpectraPure 4-stage 90gpd RODI system still using the first included filters. I'd like a little more Chloramine protection, if for nothing else, peace of mind. Do you think swapping out the included carbon block for the ChlorPlus block would be worth it? Or should I buy an outboard canister, bump my DI resin over to it, and run both carbon blocks, then membrane, then to outboard DI?

I know you said local variables are going to play a large role in final outcome. But I don't have a Chloramine test kit....yet. But I recently moved to the area and multiple local reefers warned me right away. Didn't take but a few days before I noticed my drinking water smelling of chlorine.

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon display with a diy 40 BR sump
seldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/22/2015, 10:52 AM   #35
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

We have a few different water sources that are used where we are. Our TDS ranges from 250-1000+ ppm. I also notice the smell of chlorine more pungent at different times. Water quality reports are very important to obtain and understand. Removing Chloramines really doesn't happen. The Chloramine bond is typically broken removing the chlorine, but still allowing the ammonia to pass through. That is a very generic explanation and can be better understood by reading and re-reading the initial post on this thread. The ammonia can be removed by DI resins, but yet at the cost of their life. Alas! We do have alternatives when it comes to chloramines.

Give us a call
480-894-5437 ext1
Jeremy

Old 10/25/2015, 04:13 PM   #36
thejuggernaut
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectraPure View Post

Jeremy
So for people with heavy amounts of chloramine, you would put the .2 micron sediment, then the chlorplus and then the .5 micron carbon block?

I just saw the city water reports and the avg for last year was 1.92 ppm to a high of 3.4 ppm. I do have a large 25 micron whole house filter before all of that. Our water is pulled from the Brazos river, and looks like watered down iced tea. If I just put a standard RODI sediment filter before it, it starts to show significant pressure drop before the first 150 gallons.

thejuggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/25/2015, 04:24 PM   #37
firebirdude
User and Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejuggernaut View Post
If I just put a standard RODI sediment filter before it, it starts to show significant pressure drop before the first 150 gallons.
If you put a 0.2 micron sediment filter before? Or is a 1 micron "standard RODI"? 0.2 microns for a sediment filter is darn small. Never a bad thing, but with filthy water in....what did you expect? Clogs up quick...

You could always run two sediments too. A 1 micron and then a 0.2 micron. Then two carbon blocks too. Yeah, it's a lot of stages. But if anyone in this hobby needs it, it's someone with ice tea drinking water.

Old 10/25/2015, 05:46 PM   #38
thejuggernaut
Registered Member

I've never run one of these .2 micron filters. But everyone says they are great and make the carbon blocks last allot longer. I have been using the BRS units, but I have been reading, and these seem to be much nicer. Just running city water into the RODI, the standard sediment filters (1-5 micron) were clogging up quick. I put one of the large 20BB filter housings with one of these in it.

http://www.amazon.com/Pentek-EP-20BB...ywords=ep-20bb

It works great at keeping my sediment from clogging up. But I just recently found out that all of our city water uses Chloramines (allot of it), and wanted to upgrade my first 3 stages of RODI filters (Sediment, Carbon Block, and Carbon Block) to a better setup. I guess I worded it wrong. I was also mistaken. I thought it was a 25 micron, it is a 5 micro 20BB. It has been running for 2 years in front of my RODI system and has zero pressure drop.

My main question was which carbon block do I put first. The ChlorPlus or the .5 micron block.

Old 10/25/2015, 05:51 PM   #39
firebirdude
User and Abuser

I would think the ChlorPlus? The earlier inline, the better it can protect any subsequent filters.

Old 10/25/2015, 05:55 PM   #40
thejuggernaut
Registered Member

That is what I thought as well. It also feeds a few diaphragm tanks in my kitchen that feeds the Ice Machine and drinking water. The whole system works good, but I tear through DI like crazy when making water for the tank (drinking water bypasses the DI). Hopefully these nicer filters will help with that some. It thought about just replacing my cheap 20BB with a monster Chlorplus, and just replacing it once every few years.

http://www.amazon.com/Pentek-ChlorPl...20bb+chlorplus

At these super low flow rates, it has a tremendous capacity.

Old 10/26/2015, 02:48 AM   #41
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

Two chlor plus chloramine removal cartridges will actually be the best solution right now if you have high chloramines. After extensively testing different carbons that one seems to be the best right now. Please disregard me previous statement in this thread.

Jeremy

Old 10/26/2015, 10:07 PM   #42
thejuggernaut
Registered Member

So you think that 3.6 is high PPM? I already ordered one chlorplus and one .5 micron yesterday. I'll order another both of those for the next round. How many gallons are you estimating I should be able to process with two of the chlorplus filters? Just out of curiousity, did you test the BRS universal blocks against the chlorplus. They did a study on blocks, but the left the chlorplus block out of it. Probably for a reason. LOL

Old 10/27/2015, 02:47 AM   #43
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

Quote:
I've never run one of these .2 micron filters. But everyone says they are great and make the carbon blocks last allot longer. I have been using the BRS units, but I have been reading, and these seem to be much nicer. Just running city water into the RODI, the standard sediment filters (1-5 micron) were clogging up quick. I put one of the large 20BB filter housings with one of these in it.

http://www.amazon.com/Pentek-EP-20BB...ywords=ep-20bb

It works great at keeping my sediment from clogging up. But I just recently found out that all of our city water uses Chloramines (allot of it), and wanted to upgrade my first 3 stages of RODI filters (Sediment, Carbon Block, and Carbon Block) to a better setup. I guess I worded it wrong. I was also mistaken. I thought it was a 25 micron, it is a 5 micro 20BB. It has been running for 2 years in front of my RODI system and has zero pressure drop.

My main question was which carbon block do I put first. The ChlorPlus or the .5 micron block.
Our 0.2 Zeta Zorb is washable! Yes a 1 micron sediment in front is good. It will help reduce the particulates into the zeta zorb.

Jeremy

Old 10/27/2015, 02:49 AM   #44
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

Quote:
So you think that 3.6 is high PPM? I already ordered one chlorplus and one .5 micron yesterday. I'll order another both of those for the next round. How many gallons are you estimating I should be able to process with two of the chlorplus filters? Just out of curiousity, did you test the BRS universal blocks against the chlorplus. They did a study on blocks, but the left the chlorplus block out of it. Probably for a reason. LOL
Yes that is super high. Average is 1ppm. Your carbon blocks need to be replaced much sooner than you may think depending upon your water usage. Do you have one of our chlorine test kits to test your carbon? If not they are only 6.49

Jeremy

Old 10/27/2015, 11:06 AM   #45
thejuggernaut
Registered Member

Ill pick one up. So just check my waste water line for chlorine, and when some shows up, then replace the carbon blocks?

Old 10/27/2015, 11:28 AM   #46
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

That is correct. How much water do you make a month?

Jeremy

Old 10/27/2015, 12:30 PM   #47
thejuggernaut
Registered Member

No really sure. I have it split off before the DI and it runs to a few pressure tanks in my kitchen for drinking water and ice. So I would say 60 a month for that (I make a pitcher of tea every day, and cook with it), and maybe 70 a month for RODI. Although that will probably jump up to about 150 soon (bigger tank).

Old 10/27/2015, 02:37 PM   #48
thejuggernaut
Registered Member

I forgot to ask what you think of the larger chlorplus cartridges for a 20BB housing, the CRFC20-BB.(4"x20") I already have one that I was using on a commercial ice maker. It is a dual stage housing with a 4"x10" and a 4"x20". I have the small one empty right now, but I could put a small floss filter in the first and a giant chlorplus in the second. I don't want to be changing carbon blocks every 3-6 months. Any thoughts?

Old 10/27/2015, 03:58 PM   #49
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

What is your pressure?

Jeremy

Old 10/27/2015, 04:12 PM   #50
thejuggernaut
Registered Member

100 PSI (aquatec 8800)