Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/06/2018, 09:35 AM   #276
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

That's amazing! You're the Seahorse Wisperer!

I was wondering, now that you have two, separate tanks, are you going to start a thread for the new tank?

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2018, 05:45 PM   #277
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
That's amazing! You're the Seahorse Wisperer!

I was wondering, now that you have two, separate tanks, are you going to start a thread for the new tank?
Thank you Michael, but if I were truly the seahorse whisperer, they would not have been subjected to an enviroment that got them sick in the first place!

I thought about it. This thread will be more about the 56 gallon fish tank but the Title does not represent it very well. LOL I will have to think on that for a while too.

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2018, 01:54 PM   #278
vlangel
Registered Member

I have decided, both tanks will still be represented in this thread until I take 1 down and just focus on 1 tank. I am not good at maintaing 2 threads so the tanks will get lost if I don't post on them both here. Technically they both are macro gardens, just not both are seahorse tanks.

So, tomorrow I have some macros coming in with my ghost shrimp order. I do not know exactly what I will get since they could not get all of what I ordered, but I was asked to trust them, so I am sure they will do right by me. Its kind of like Christmas. All the macros are going in the 56 gallon blenny tank. Here is what it looks like today.
2018-11-13_02-34-59 by Dawn Gilson, on Flickr
As you can see, I am still fighting cyano. Its not overtaking anything, just being ugly. I will continue to work on that.

Here is the seahorse tank. It is much more sparce and clean but that is how I need to keep seahorses.
2018-11-13_12-36-08 by Dawn Gilson, on Flickr
Its growing on me and should get better as the macro algaes in it grow. Because husbandry on the tank is so much easier I am feeding the seahorses more than I ever have. They are really liking that part...3 full meals a day.

Last edited by vlangel; 11/13/2018 at 02:14 PM.
Unread 11/14/2018, 06:52 AM   #279
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Your tanks look great! I really like the fang blennies too. Are all the blenny species getting along OK? Are the blennies within each species getting along OK?

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2018, 11:26 AM   #280
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasmodes View Post
Your tanks look great! I really like the fang blennies too. Are all the blenny species getting along OK? Are the blennies within each species getting along OK?
Thanks Kevin. If only I could get the cyano gone. It makes me crazy, ha ha! Today I added significant more flow to see if that helps. The dual powerhead is pretty intrusive to the aesthetics of the tank but maybe its the lesser of 2 evils.

I love them all (the blennies)and they are doing quite well together. The linear blenny is the boss and on a seldom occasion he will lunge half heartedly at a yellowhead fang blenny. It never results in even stress to either blennies. The little barnacle blennies hang in their holes with their heads hanging out. On occasion they will come out and stretch their fins but not often. Nobody bothers them though.

I have been wondering if I could add a large midas blenny since their shape and swim style is completely different. Probably only the linear might object. Its a risk so I need to think on it more. Also I wondered about a starry blenny too because they have more of a sailfin shape. Lots of things to think about.

Unread 11/14/2018, 01:58 PM   #281
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Starry blennies get quite big, and the midas gets pretty large also. Starry blennies get to be about 5" long or more. Midas about 4" or so. I think that the midas blennies are less aggressive. Starry blennies can get mean, and they also are omnivores (although most reefers think that they only eat algae). That is important to know, in your case, because they can and will eat small fish or shrimp.

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Unread 11/14/2018, 03:33 PM   #282
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Starry blennies get quite big, and the midas gets pretty large also. Starry blennies get to be about 5" long or more. Midas about 4" or so. I think that the midas blennies are less aggressive. Starry blennies can get mean, and they also are omnivores (although most reefers think that they only eat algae). That is important to know, in your case, because they can and will eat small fish or shrimp.
Whoa, thank you for the info. A starry blenny is definitely out if thats how they can be. I had a midas blenny that was awesome. I loved him. He was like a benevolent king who ruled his kingdom kindly. Thats why I thought a big midas blenny might work.

Unread 11/14/2018, 06:11 PM   #283
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Good luck with the fish hunt, Dawn! You're going to have quite the community! When does the new macro arrive?

Unread 11/14/2018, 06:28 PM   #284
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Good luck with the fish hunt, Dawn! You're going to have quite the community! When does the new macro arrive?
Thanks Michael. Yes, I love pedators but this gentle fish tank has been really nice. Aquariums can be so serene, except when your fish are killing or eating each other. Its wonderful not having to try and stop bullying.

My macros arrived this afternoon. I only had time to temperature acclimate them and then drop them in the tank before I had to run. Now the lights are too low for a pic but I am very pleased. I got 3 shaving brushes, a mermaid fan, a lg halimeda, some ulva and a red macro. I also got 4 emerald crabs and 1 is red, a multitude of nassarius snails, and a pom pom crab.

Unread 11/14/2018, 06:41 PM   #285
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Agreed. Serenity please! That's very important, both for the fish and me.

It sounds like you hit the jackpot with your macro/critter order! Enjoy! And of course, when you're ready, pics please!

Unread 11/15/2018, 10:22 AM   #286
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Hey Dawn! My wife and I are in the art biz and we just sent off a design that reminded me of you. It will be printed on a pillow.

Unread 11/15/2018, 04:05 PM   #287
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Hey Dawn! My wife and I are in the art biz and we just sent off a design that reminded me of you. It will be printed on a pillow.

O my goodness, that is just too cute!

And look what I found in with the ghost shrimp/macro order.

Baby seahorse came with my order. by Dawn Gilson, on Flickr

She has probably been without food for at least 4 days so her chances are dismal. Still I am picking up copepods and starting bbs hatchery to give her a fighting chance.

Last edited by vlangel; 11/15/2018 at 04:14 PM.
Unread 11/15/2018, 05:02 PM   #288
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Wow, that's amazing! If anyone can save her, it's you! Good luck!

Unread 11/16/2018, 08:27 AM   #289
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Wow Dawn, that's awesome. Yes, she has a fighting chance with you there to save her!

Very cool artwork Michael. That's gonna be a really cool pillow!

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 11/16/2018, 01:48 PM   #290
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Wow, that's amazing! If anyone can save her, it's you! Good luck!
I am doing my best!

Unread 11/16/2018, 01:48 PM   #291
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Wow Dawn, that's awesome. Yes, she has a fighting chance with you there to save her!

Very cool artwork Michael. That's gonna be a really cool pillow!
I hope so Kevin.

Unread 11/16/2018, 02:02 PM   #292
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Pics of the new stuff?

Unread 11/16/2018, 02:31 PM   #293
vlangel
Registered Member

As look more closely at this tiny pony, I think she may be a dwarf seahorse. Her little snout is so short and stubby and not like an erectus at all.

I bought her tigger pods last night and set up a bbs hatchery. Unfortunately we lost power in the night. I have a power inverter which I bought for just an occasion but it could not make the house warmer. The thermostat read 62°F when I looked at it after the power came on. It was off about 12 hours which is longer than it ever has been in the 31 yrs we have lived here. I am guessing this hatch will be longer as a result, plus these decapped cysts are ancient. Anyway, we will watch and see.

Unread 11/16/2018, 02:40 PM   #294
vlangel
Registered Member

New macro algaes by Dawn Gilson, on Flickr
Here is the only pic I have so far @Michael Hoaster. Its not going to be very satisfying since they are not well established.

Unread 11/16/2018, 03:22 PM   #295
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks for posting this. We all look forward to seeing more when you're ready! I bet you're right about the dwarf seahorse. Good luck!

Unread 11/16/2018, 10:57 PM   #296
cksss
Registered Member

This is like Law of attraction at work, the seahorses just come to u!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlangel View Post
O my goodness, that is just too cute!

And look what I found in with the ghost shrimp/macro order.

Baby seahorse came with my order. by Dawn Gilson, on Flickr

She has probably been without food for at least 4 days so her chances are dismal. Still I am picking up copepods and starting bbs hatchery to give her a fighting chance.

cksss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2018, 08:16 AM   #297
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cksss View Post
This is like Law of attraction at work, the seahorses just come to u!
I wished I could say that it was good fortune on her part but unfortunately our power went off the night she arrived(Thursday) and has been off until this morning(Sunday). I have a power inverter for the tanks so she is good that way but keeping bbs hatchery going with A battery light and a cool house has been slow. Also my cysts were old. I have new ones now so I will set up a 2nd hatchery and we will see what happens.

Unread 11/18/2018, 12:31 PM   #298
vlangel
Registered Member

My bbs hatchery is beginning to produce bbs in a density that should be sufficient for either a baby seahorse or a dwarf. I have moved her into her own vase because I have not seen her snick the offered food and I decided that my nursery tank was designed to leak bbs shrimp out of it but that was when I had a bigger system with lots of hungry coral to consume them. I can't risk my herd to a possible bacterial problem. Its a small vase so doing WCs on it is a cinch.

I can lead a seahorse to food but I can't make her eat. That will be up to her.

Unread 11/19/2018, 07:49 AM   #299
vlangel
Registered Member

She is still hanging in there although I have yet to see her eat. She is surrounded by 1000s of enriched bbs so she has all she needs. We are travelling Friday to visit our son's family south of Charlotte. She needs to eat 3Xs a day so I am not sure how that is going to work. I have offered her free to a committed saltwater enthusiast on the forum for our local club. When I shared what she needs in maintenance I probably have scared off any potential takers. Its only fair to her and them that they know what they are getting into, LOL.

Unread 11/19/2018, 07:50 AM   #300
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Good luck with the tiny seahorse. Tell her that she must eat her meat, or she can't have any pudding!

--Kevin Wilson