Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/25/2012, 08:07 PM   #1
sassyfrassy
Registered Member

new tank

I'm setting up a new tank in which I will have macros. Should I put miracle mud or some similar substrate under the sand? #2 my red gracelaria is bleaching and turning green in spots. Why?

Current Tank Info: 40g breeder DT LR & Macro Algae - 2" sand, 6 T5s & 2 fans in hood; 30gL sump/fuge w/MSX 200 skimmer & other equip.; (mangroves in DT - roots are great look)
sassyfrassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2012, 08:43 PM   #2
Amphiprion
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfrassy View Post
I'm setting up a new tank in which I will have macros. Should I put miracle mud or some similar substrate under the sand? #2 my red gracelaria is bleaching and turning green in spots. Why?
I wouldn't worry about using mud. It is only useful for plants that need nutrition (or at least utilize it) at the substrate level--seagrasses for example. Macroalgae will largely use dissolved nutrients in the water column.

As far as Gracilaria changing color, it is common under brighter lighting regimes. Dramatic changes can also be related to nutrients. Red colors often need lower light to be retained, though at a sacrifice to faster growth.

Current Tank Info: 40g breeder patch reef w/ seagrass; 2-250w XM 10K; Vortech MP40wES & MP10wES; BM Curve 7 skimmer; carbon & occasional GFO
Amphiprion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2012, 09:14 AM   #3
sassyfrassy
Registered Member

OK that's probably the problem - my lights were intended for corals b/f I switched to macros. What spectrum lights should I be using?

Current Tank Info: 40g breeder DT LR & Macro Algae - 2" sand, 6 T5s & 2 fans in hood; 30gL sump/fuge w/MSX 200 skimmer & other equip.; (mangroves in DT - roots are great look)
Unread 04/26/2012, 10:15 AM   #4
Amphiprion
Premium Member

Somewhere between 6500K and 14000K seems to work for most. Some don't like to go above 10000K, but it shouldn't be too much of an issue, though you may not get as much growth under bluer wavelengths depending upon the intensity of the lamp in use. Either way, chances are the mix you have now is fine.

Current Tank Info: 40g breeder patch reef w/ seagrass; 2-250w XM 10K; Vortech MP40wES & MP10wES; BM Curve 7 skimmer; carbon & occasional GFO
Unread 04/27/2012, 01:40 PM   #5
sassyfrassy
Registered Member

Thanks - I will be ordering new lights soon - where is the cheapest place for T5s?

Unread 04/27/2012, 02:17 PM   #6
Amphiprion
Premium Member

Most places are pretty close for name-brand lamps. The GE 6500K lamps average about $14.50 each in most circumstances. I always ordered from ReefGeek when I still used T5s.

Unread 04/27/2012, 02:54 PM   #7
sassyfrassy
Registered Member

would 4 - 6500K & 1 - 10,000K & 1 - 14000 be OK? I've generally interspaced actinic & daylight bulbs, but w/ gracelaria & some of my mushrooms preferring lower light, I was thinking of putting the 65Ks in the front and the 2 daylights in the back (normally I'd probably do opposite) - have you ever used brighter in back instead of front? I was thinking it might be an interesting look, and also allow me to enjoy the mushrooms more up front.

Unread 04/27/2012, 03:44 PM   #8
Amphiprion
Premium Member

Mine were always evenly interspersed when I had them. I mostly kept sps, though.

Unread 04/30/2012, 02:25 PM   #9
Disher
Registered Member

What size tank is this?

Disher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2012, 06:51 PM   #10
sassyfrassy
Registered Member

The new tank will be a 40g breeder. We are remodeling the den - painting & putting down new floor, so it will take 1-2 weeks. I will have to break down my current tank completely and get it out of the way. Can I keep the livestock in a 30g cooler w/LR & just 2 Korallia pumps circulating for that long? Would I need to have skimmer in the cooler too? I can also put a couple cups off top of sand into another cooler for plants.

I got a surprise tonight - the 3/4" shrimp that I put in the tank many months ago and never saw again showed up tonight about 2" long. Do they hide all the time?

Also can I scrub the rock w/brush and it not hurt the bacteria?

Unread 05/07/2012, 06:59 PM   #11
sassyfrassy
Registered Member

Got another idea - would it be better to lower water in my current tank (65g) to say 1" above sand to move and then put that water back in enough to cover LR and leave everything in it (w/o benefit of sump & skimmer) until the room is complete and ready to set up new tank? Or would it still be too heavy to move?

Unread 05/08/2012, 12:40 PM   #12
Amphiprion
Premium Member

I did the latter when I had my 75g, but it had a functional sump. If the sand bed gets shifted around too much, you may not want to add livestock immediately. Otherwise, it seems like the safer option since there will be more water volume and there will be more filtration capacity. It will be more work initially however. I don't know how much stock you have in there now and whether 30g will be sufficient for them. Either way, prepare plenty of premixed seawater to use as needed.

Unread 05/08/2012, 05:20 PM   #13
sassyfrassy
Registered Member

1. I only have 2 clowns, a clown goby, a pigmy angel, and a yellow watchman goby plus yellow banded shrimp that I just discovered is alive & thriving. None over 2 1/2" - and of course large # CUC.

2. How long did you keep them w/o skimmer & sump b/f you set tank back up?

3. Also what about macro algae w/o lights?

4. Also can I scrub LR (detritis, some very dark cyno[I think} w/o losing bacteria - scrub in SW?

Thanks for help.

Last edited by sassyfrassy; 05/08/2012 at 05:28 PM.
Unread 05/08/2012, 08:46 PM   #14
drunkenmonk
Registered Member

I havent used a sump or a skimmer on my tank for over 2 years, no problems.

If your going for 2 weeks without lights I doubt your macro algae will make it.

Do you have any pictures of the rock, You may just have dark red coraline. I have this all over my rocks along with other colors.

drunkenmonk is offline   Reply With Quote