Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/27/2013, 07:04 PM   #1351
Eville
Registered Member

Awesome new acro pieces! This tank will be amazing after a years worth of growing. I also sent my father your numbers for alk calcium and mg and ours were way off. Unfortunately I am away at college so I could not fix them first hand. Thanks a lot for sharing again and hopefully I can achieve such success. Any plans of trying a large angel?

Eville is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2013, 10:09 PM   #1352
rpjaws74
Registered Member

awesome tank!!

Current Tank Info: 500 glln system/ Reef
rpjaws74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2013, 11:22 AM   #1353
Made2Rock
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie Aquarist View Post
That's because I have nothing but mad love for you and how you do things BIG.
and DEEEEEEEEEEP

Joe

Made2Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2013, 12:01 PM   #1354
Thanksgramps
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfeig View Post
I dose hourly using BRS formulas. Pretty soon I will have to consider a calcium reactor, but, i've been making more concentrated formulas when I am dosing Calcium or Alk for more than 20 minutes each hour.
Hi Dan,

Thank you for posting this amazing process. I've been following for a few weeks and it has been a huge inspiration as I plan my first reef.

I joined my local reef club and at their meeting this weekend folks told me I had to go with a calcium reactor over dosing because I'm planning a 200g DT (350g total with sump, frag, fuge). They said it was more cost effective and stable at that size. I'm early in my planning/research and wondered your thoughts since it sounds like you might switch over and your decisions seem as strategic and well planned as I hope to be someday.

-Jeff

Thanksgramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2013, 02:16 PM   #1355
h.cordero
Registered Member

Dan HAd to read the complet thread! iwas skeptical about the pillar aquascape but now i change my mind love the deep tank. thanks for posting

h.cordero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2013, 02:56 PM   #1356
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitr View Post
Very cool Scott have a lot of cool stuff everytime is see him .
Can't wait for the picture
Scott is awesome and he treats me very fairly! The quality of his corals are always outstanding. Hopefully on Friday I will be able to put them into the display!

Unread 01/28/2013, 02:58 PM   #1357
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vel123 View Post
the corals are awesome. loving the sea horses.
Thanks vel123!

I am real happy with everything. The corals are showing some nice polyp extension in the frag tank and the seahorses are really fun to watch! One of them still doesn't appear to be doing as well as the other three, hopefully she will get better.

Unread 01/28/2013, 03:02 PM   #1358
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre2006 View Post
Awesome effort and setup. Tank will only get better with time. Have you passed the $100K milestone for your build?
Thanks you Spectre2006!

Definitely fun to both the fish and corals grow! $100k milestone???? I don't have any how much I have invested, nor do I want to know... Paypal takes directly out of a savings account and I kinda close my eyes when I write checks to pay my American Express and Visa statements.

Unread 01/28/2013, 03:07 PM   #1359
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERivera65 View Post
My name is Erwin and it's been a pleasure to have seen and been included in your thread. How are the fish you ordered? Have they acclimated ok as well?
Erwin!

It's nice to meet you. Things are good. All of the fish seem to be acclimating well. I put the two small Atlantic Blue Tangs into a 30 gallon tank of their own. One of the tangs started to get a little ich on its fins and I think it will be easier to manage outside of my other QT's. They are both eating well and now have a few places to hide.

Unread 01/28/2013, 03:11 PM   #1360
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie Aquarist View Post
That's because I have nothing but mad love for you and how you do things BIG.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Made2Rock View Post
and DEEEEEEEEEEP

Joe
Leroy, Joe...

I thank your comments can be misconstrued or taken as a little inappropriate here...

Unread 01/28/2013, 04:35 PM   #1361
Made2Rock
Registered Member

Quote:
Leroy, Joe...

I thank your comments can be misconstrued or taken as a little inappropriate here...
I'm losing my touch, I missed that one.

You don't think that will stop us do you?

Joe

Unread 01/28/2013, 05:56 PM   #1362
Newbie Aquarist
Reefing is my middle name

I didn't mean to disrespect your thread. I know when Danday arrives its no small delivery. That's what I meant you doing it big. I apologize.

Sent from my iPhone using Siri and Tapatalk.

Newbie Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2013, 08:46 PM   #1363
ERivera65
Registered Member

Quote:
Erwin!

It's nice to meet you. Things are good. All of the fish seem to be acclimating well. I put the two small Atlantic Blue Tangs into a 30 gallon tank of their own. One of the tangs started to get a little ich on its fins and I think it will be easier to manage outside of my other QT's. They are both eating well and now have a few places to hide.
Ok thats great Dan. I am going through an ich problem myself with my scopas tang. What are you treating your Atlantic tangs with? I am currently doing a hyposalinity treatment to my quarantine tank for three clowns and scopas tang.

ERivera65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2013, 09:22 PM   #1364
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dca22anderson View Post
I love FedEx Fridays! Great SPS additions!
Thanks Dave!

I have shown my wife and kids the picture of your son laying down and watching the fish in your sump. It's just awesome!

Unread 01/28/2013, 09:40 PM   #1365
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eville View Post
Awesome new acro pieces! This tank will be amazing after a years worth of growing. I also sent my father your numbers for alk calcium and mg and ours were way off. Unfortunately I am away at college so I could not fix them first hand. Thanks a lot for sharing again and hopefully I can achieve such success. Any plans of trying a large angel?
Thank you Eville... It's a lot of fun looking at pictures from 3-4 months ago and seeing the growth. I can't even imagine what things will be like in a year from now.

Once every six weeks or so, I send a water sample to Aquariumwatertesting.com and they upload a full spectrum of results for me to review. With you being away at college, it might not be a bad idea to have your dad send them aquarium water samples on occasion.

I like angels, just the smaller varieties!

Unread 01/28/2013, 10:10 PM   #1366
danfeig
RC Sponsor

New Fish Room Video...

So i've had a lot of requests for an updated video of my fish room.

Sam just happened to come by on a day when the fish room wasn't the cleanest and I was in the midst of doing a small water change.

As always, he did an outstanding job with the filming and editing.

Enjoy!

Unread 01/28/2013, 11:23 PM   #1367
jdm18honda
Registered Member

wow great build and video

Current Tank Info: 110 rimless with 75 gallon sump/refuge and 24 gallon frag tank all custom by reef savvy
jdm18honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2013, 05:08 AM   #1368
techreef
Registered Member

There is so much information packed into that fish room video tour. Thanks! I see that you have your Radions fairly close to the water surface. Mine are the same over my 90G tank, just because the canopy restricts how high I can hang them. Do you see any issues with your lenses accumulating salt spray, or the units getting too moist? I find that microbubbles rise to the surface and pop underneath my lights, spraying them a little when I turn my return pump back on after feeding the tank, and the spray accumulates over time.

techreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2013, 05:59 AM   #1369
srf11
Registered Member

I always dig catching up on all the additions/upgrades in this thread! Upgrading my reef from a 72g to a 180g over the next month but it sure aint no fish room!!

srf11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2013, 06:17 AM   #1370
Newbie Aquarist
Reefing is my middle name

The fish room looked pretty clean and organized to me. Excellent video work.

Newbie Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2013, 08:37 AM   #1371
Made2Rock
Registered Member

Love the video and really like the scaffolding idea!!!!!

Joe

Unread 01/29/2013, 08:44 AM   #1372
SPotter
Registered Member

WOW Dan just amazing as always. Are you going to upgrade your lights to the Pro model?

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2013, 04:45 PM   #1373
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpjaws74 View Post
awesome tank!!
Thank you rpjaws!!!

Unread 01/29/2013, 04:55 PM   #1374
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanksgramps View Post
Hi Dan,

Thank you for posting this amazing process. I've been following for a few weeks and it has been a huge inspiration as I plan my first reef.

I joined my local reef club and at their meeting this weekend folks told me I had to go with a calcium reactor over dosing because I'm planning a 200g DT (350g total with sump, frag, fuge). They said it was more cost effective and stable at that size. I'm early in my planning/research and wondered your thoughts since it sounds like you might switch over and your decisions seem as strategic and well planned as I hope to be someday.

-Jeff
Thank you for the nice compliments Thanksgramps!!!

I don't know about the need for a calcium reactor on a tank your size and the cost effectiveness. It will depend on your sps requirements. Initially the cost of the reactor can be significant. I've been okay mixing my own 2-part solution and dosing hourly. It works for me right now, however, my dosing requirements and the strength of the solutions have increased. I have not had an issue with stability and i check my Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium two to three times each week. At some point in the future I may need to consider a calcium reactor.

Unread 01/29/2013, 04:58 PM   #1375
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.cordero View Post
Dan HAd to read the complet thread! iwas skeptical about the pillar aquascape but now i change my mind love the deep tank. thanks for posting
Thanks h.cordero!

I am real happy with the way the towers turned out. I also love having a deep tank!