Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/22/2008, 06:37 PM   #1
BIG-G
Registered Member

To clam or not to clam?

I have always wanted to add a clam to my 150, but i have a flame angel and i read somewhere that flames were bad to pick at clams.

Does anybody have any first hand experince on this?

I know some angels will pick and some wont.

The only thing that i have ever seen my angel pick at is silver xenia. I have silver and pompom never touches the pompom but eats the silver like its at a buffet.

Current Tank Info: 150gal Reef and 29gal Biocube Reef/Frag Tank
BIG-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2008, 01:31 AM   #2
rc02116
Registered Member

Re: To clam or not to clam?

Quote:
Originally posted by BIG-G
I have always wanted to add a clam to my 150, but i have a flame angel and i read somewhere that flames were bad to pick at clams.

Does anybody have any first hand experince on this?

I know some angels will pick and some wont.

The only thing that i have ever seen my angel pick at is silver xenia. I have silver and pompom never touches the pompom but eats the silver like its at a buffet.
Yes. I've heard that too and I was also concerned getting a Flame angel. From what I read, most angels (except very few) are prone to pick at clams and Flame angels are just hit-or-miss, but maybe less risky than certain angels like lemonpeel, bi-color etc....

I decided to go ahead and try one out. It has been 6 months and he never bothers any clams or corals so far (knock on woods), may be I am lucky and got a Flame with better temperament, who knows...

If you decided to try a clam, make sure you watch him and the clam closely. If he starts picking on the clam, be prepared to move him or the clam ASAP. G' Luck.

rc02116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2008, 08:32 AM   #3
BIG-G
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice. If i do get a clam and the flame starts to pick at it, the clam will have to go because that tank is the only one that has the proper lighting and their would be no way to catch the flame without tearing down the whole tank.

But i still think it would be worth a shot. Any advice on what kind of clam to start with?

My tank is 150gal with two 175watt MH light and two 40 watt florecents.

The tank is tall so I plan on placing the clam high up in the tank.

Unread 11/23/2008, 09:54 AM   #4
a4twenty
Premium Member

people try this over and over, putting an immature flame in with clams and seeing some success. when the fish matures there is a very good chance he will go after the clam, i can't count the times i have heard " but he was fine for the last 3 months...... "

some quotes from online retailers

LA

"The Flame Angelfish is prone to nip at stony and soft corals (sessile invertebrates) and clam mantles."

MD

".......can be kept in either a community tank or in a Reef tank so long as caution is noted with Tridacnid species of Clams, and possibly Scallops. Might possibly nip at LPS/SPS Coral Polyps as well."

a4twenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2008, 02:33 PM   #5
BIG-G
Registered Member

Thats why i asked !!!!