Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/06/2017, 09:27 AM   #26
reefmutt
Registered Member

Thanks, Perry!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2017, 01:57 PM   #27
codydemmel4
Registered Member

looking good!

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Link to my tank: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2618245
codydemmel4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2017, 06:25 AM   #28
plyle02
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Thanks, Perry!
My pleasure Matt, while the "mud" if you will is still new, I think there are certain benefits to be obtained through it's use. I will make more keen observations next week when dosing and update accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codydemmel4 View Post
looking good!
Thank You Sir!!!

"Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die" ~Buddha~

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
plyle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2017, 10:22 PM   #29
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Weeeeewwww Good to see you back again Perry I'm looking forward to seeing what you can achieve in this little tank! I like the sounds of the mud lol

Courtesy of Nils:
"you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!"
Wrangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2017, 08:42 AM   #30
plyle02
Registered Member

Hey Dom,
Thanks my man, I appreciate all the kind words! This little tank is going to rock, new light coming soon Yeah, I like this mud stuff, it seems to add some feeding potential to corals and inverts. Anyway, no negative effects, so time will tell.

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
Unread 06/09/2017, 04:54 PM   #31
glaukos
Registered Member

So happy to see the new start buddy
Everything looks nice and i'm sure as the days go by they will become even better

Unread 06/09/2017, 06:54 PM   #32
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by plyle02 View Post
Hey Dom,
Thanks my man, I appreciate all the kind words! This little tank is going to rock, new light coming soon Yeah, I like this mud stuff, it seems to add some feeding potential to corals and inverts. Anyway, no negative effects, so time will tell.
For sure! A little tank can be just as much fun and certainly as challenging as a bigger one You'll have to keep us updated with everything though!

Courtesy of Nils:
"you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!"
Wrangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2017, 09:18 PM   #33
MichaelW
Registered Member

Perry nice to see the new set up. Im not around as much anymore but like to pop in on my mates journals every now and than. Cant wait to see how this one turns out.

MichaelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2017, 02:04 PM   #34
Zoahoarder
Registered Member

Hey perry, it was finally good to meet you and the family. Tank looks great and can't wait till you can throw that halide on top of it.

Zoahoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2017, 11:39 PM   #35
FloformAustria
Registered Member

nice intro Perry!

can´t wait to see what you are going to do with this tank!

Cheers

^Austrian Reef Club^

"Founding Member of CCC - The cool couch club of SPS keeping" - Biggles

Current Tank Info: The Austrian Dropoff Tank
FloformAustria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2017, 10:49 AM   #36
plyle02
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaukos View Post
So happy to see the new start buddy
Everything looks nice and i'm sure as the days go by they will become even better
Hey Mike, how are you my friend? I have been kind of dormant around here, I need to get back in the game, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangy View Post
For sure! A little tank can be just as much fun and certainly as challenging as a bigger one You'll have to keep us updated with everything though!
Hi Dom, whats up mate! For a small tank, I sure am spending $$$. I do have some challenges as far as nutrients go, but starting to work down through consistent water changes. Thanks for the reply, hopefully soon I will have more to show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelW View Post
Perry nice to see the new set up. Im not around as much anymore but like to pop in on my mates journals every now and than. Cant wait to see how this one turns out.
Thanks Michael, I appreciate you popping in Yep, new journal, new tank, new set of challenges, but I am happy to have this little setup. I cannot expand too much more, I like that, so once I get the new light up, I will start to see some results, at least I hope. All in all, the tank is setup exactly how I want it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoahoarder View Post
Hey perry, it was finally good to meet you and the family. Tank looks great and can't wait till you can throw that halide on top of it.
Hey Matt,
Thanks for coming by and having a beer, hope to see the lagoon going soon! We will have to get together soon for sure. Thanks again buddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloformAustria View Post
nice intro Perry!

can´t wait to see what you are going to do with this tank!

Cheers
Hey Flo,
Thanks for looking in on the tank and journal. Right now things are kind of ho hum, but hopefully the new light will help get things going. I have not had much success with LED, so for now, I need to work with technology that I am familiar with. Soon I will get some pics

Unread 06/18/2017, 10:59 AM   #37
plyle02
Registered Member

Update:
Tomorrow the light comes in, took awhile, but by Tues, I will be firing that bad boy up. As a reminder, it is a Hamilton Cayman Sun pendant, with a 250 watt SE Radium bulb. Hamilton also makes the ballast. I imagine this will light the footprint very well.(24"x24"x21"tall) depth is 5" less, due to filtration compartment. I will start the pendant at 14" above the tank, and slowly lower. The plan is to start at 5 hours a day for the first 2 weeks, then go to 6 hours a day. That will be the max as there is really no need for a longer photoperiod with this lamp. I will use a kessil all blue at max 30% to ramp dawn and dusk.
Aquascape Update:
I changed the pyramid to more of a bommie, I wanted to use the top portion of the tank for ample swim space. I now have 5 fish, and plan to get maybe 3 more total. Right now I have a pair of true percs, a longnose hawk, an ora black cardinal, and a female melanarus wrasse. I also have acquired some sick mari cultures, soon I will photo I got a crazy pink milli, a blue with yellow hues milli, a funky tenuis, and crazy pink with blue hues humilus. These are some killer bali maris by buddy Steve at Stormborn Reef has been bringing in. When I say hot, I mean hot... Never seen a humilus like this one, I cannot wait to get a sweet photo

Unread 06/18/2017, 11:48 AM   #38
FloformAustria
Registered Member

now that is what i call light!

really looking forward to the new pictures!

Cheers

^Austrian Reef Club^

"Founding Member of CCC - The cool couch club of SPS keeping" - Biggles

Current Tank Info: The Austrian Dropoff Tank
FloformAustria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2017, 07:37 PM   #39
reefmutt
Registered Member

Perry, updates are good and all and I'm glad to hear the light is coming in soon but you said you re scaped....
re scaped!
Dude, we need a pic..... come on... we are blind, here.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2017, 03:01 PM   #40
plyle02
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloformAustria View Post
now that is what i call light!

really looking forward to the new pictures!

Cheers
I would have pictures, but taking them under LED is impossible for me, lol... I have confirmation that the new light has arrived, so tonight I will try and install. I am confident that my camera works well under halide lighting, so this should be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Perry, updates are good and all and I'm glad to hear the light is coming in soon but you said you re scaped....
re scaped!
Dude, we need a pic..... come on... we are blind, here.
Hey Matt,
I hear you, I cannot take pictures worth a darn under LED, I am using a prototype led, this thing only on for a week, and is blowing the Kessil lamps out of the water. If I knew this lamp would have worked so well, I may have stuck with it. However, I am really excited to re-visit halides, and Radium is the best one I have used in SE bulbs. I am partial to the Phoenix 14k in the DE bulbs. If installation is a breeze, I may have time to take pics tonight, otherwise I will have to wait until tomorrow. The new scape makes more sense, you will see when I post.
Thanks again man!

Unread 07/02/2017, 07:57 AM   #41
plyle02
Registered Member

Update on the tank:

*Going to more basics on the tank.
*AF Probiotic Reef Salt, to Red Sea blue bucket, buffered with CA and MG prior to water changes.
*Plan to switch to Fritz RPM when the salt bucket is used up.
*Rely on 25% weekly water changes
*discontinue use of NP Pro/Pro Bio S, and all coral supplements
*still continue the use of Component 123/ made with 1/2 recommended trace
*Using AF Carbon and AF Phosphate Minus, passive in media basket
*Using AF Life Bio Fil, passive in filtration compartment
*3 drops weekly Bio S post water change
*Lighting with A160we Kessil as supplement, and 250 watt Radium 14" off surface 5 hours a day
*Currently 5 fish in the tank

If there is a system out there, I have tried it, and while many of them work, I think they require more work than necessary. For this setup, with the tank being an AIO, it simply makes more since to rely on a KISS method. I am very happy with nutrient levels, yesterday NO3= 2.5 and PO4= 0.02 These numbers are accomplished with nothing but water changes and more controlled feedings/bioload. I am feeding pellets daily twice, and frozen 3 times per week with LRS. Other than that, I have had the halide over the tank for a couple of weeks, and slowly starting to notice growth and better coloration. The bulb has not quite burned in yet, but the combo of the led and halide will likely yield some pretty killer results, here is to hoping

Unread 07/02/2017, 06:44 PM   #42
Geeray
Registered Member

Quote:
Update on the tank:

*Going to more basics on the tank.
*AF Probiotic Reef Salt, to Red Sea blue bucket, buffered with CA and MG prior to water changes.
*Plan to switch to Fritz RPM when the salt bucket is used up.
*Rely on 25% weekly water changes
*discontinue use of NP Pro/Pro Bio S, and all coral supplements
*still continue the use of Component 123/ made with 1/2 recommended trace
*Using AF Carbon and AF Phosphate Minus, passive in media basket
*Using AF Life Bio Fil, passive in filtration compartment
*3 drops weekly Bio S post water change
*Lighting with A160we Kessil as supplement, and 250 watt Radium 14" off surface 5 hours a day
*Currently 5 fish in the tank

If there is a system out there, I have tried it, and while many of them work, I think they require more work than necessary. For this setup, with the tank being an AIO, it simply makes more since to rely on a KISS method. I am very happy with nutrient levels, yesterday NO3= 2.5 and PO4= 0.02 These numbers are accomplished with nothing but water changes and more controlled feedings/bioload. I am feeding pellets daily twice, and frozen 3 times per week with LRS. Other than that, I have had the halide over the tank for a couple of weeks, and slowly starting to notice growth and better coloration. The bulb has not quite burned in yet, but the combo of the led and halide will likely yield some pretty killer results, here is to hoping

I'm very interested to seeYour results using half the recommended trace in component 1,2,3. I have been using it for a year and would definitely be interested in cutting the trace in half to make it last longer.

Unread 07/03/2017, 07:22 AM   #43
plyle02
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeray View Post
I'm very interested to seeYour results using half the recommended trace in component 1,2,3. I have been using it for a year and would definitely be interested in cutting the trace in half to make it last longer.
I will keep you posted, I am and plan on doing 25% water changes weekly, part of the husbandry on this setup. That being said, I feel this will be sufficient for nutrient control as well as balanced with trace. No need to use a full strength IMO. While I have believed in trace dosing for many years, none of my reefs have ever been overwhelmed with it, as I have mostly preferred to do light dosing and observe. So many ways to accomplish nice corals with beautiful colors, I really think it boils down to your setup and it's confinements. Based on my new tank, being an AIO, I had to change my approach from my previous tank. Cheers

Unread 07/03/2017, 08:03 AM   #44
cobra2326
Registered Member

Pics! I'm excited to see how things look with the rescape and MH.

Aquatic Log: http://www.aquaticlog.com/aquariums/cobra2326/1
Nuvo Fusion Build Thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2636370

Current Tank Info: Nuvo Fusion 10
cobra2326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2017, 08:41 AM   #45
plyle02
Registered Member

Not much to look at, but in all fairness, without pics a journal is lacking. I will post the good the bad and ugly. Many of my corals are brownish, they were all mostly raised under radion led's as frags. That said, they have to adjust to the powerful lighting the MH brings, some are browning. Anyway, a few pics of the setup and some potential in corals.

FTS, showing the cayman sun pendant suspended from ceiling, with A160we Kessil for supplement:

Aquamaxx WS-1 skimmer, working very well

Simplicity at it's finest, my sump, not really, but ATO and Dosing liquids under stand.

Forget name, but serious potential with this one

another forgotten name, still on the green side

supposedly a wolverine, who knows... browned out for sure

A little flubber

the layout FTS, recent scape change more low lying. I am liking the change.

lavender with neon tips tenuis, this one is going to rock!

A very pretty pink milli from Bali

Unread 07/03/2017, 08:54 AM   #46
Ucantwin
Registered Member

None of the pics are showing up for me.

Ucantwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2017, 08:56 AM   #47
kainic
Registered Member

"Please update your account to enable 3rd party hosting"

"Every man can be, if he tries, sculptor of his own brain", Santiago Ramón y Cajal
kainic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2017, 09:17 AM   #48
plyle02
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucantwin View Post
None of the pics are showing up for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kainic View Post
"Please update your account to enable 3rd party hosting"
What are you guys using to post images, I have not been out of the game that long, now all of a sudden Photobucket wants $399 a year for 3rd party hosting. Not going to do that

Unread 07/03/2017, 09:22 AM   #49
kainic
Registered Member

Quote:
What are you guys using to post images, I have not been out of the game that long, now all of a sudden Photobucket wants $399 a year for 3rd party hosting. Not going to do that
I use Flickr for the DSLR pics but I don't know its maximum storage capacity. For the phone pics I guess you could use Google Drive (don't know if you can embed them but you can try)

"Every man can be, if he tries, sculptor of his own brain", Santiago Ramón y Cajal
kainic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2017, 11:39 AM   #50
Geeray
Registered Member

The Amazon cloud shared files don't show up either