Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/28/2013, 11:56 AM   #1
Jay1513
Registered Member

Install CO2 Scrubber to Tunze Skimmer 9410

Hi,

Can I install CO2 Scrubber with Soda Lime to my Tunze Master DOC Protein Skimmer 9410.000?

Thanks,
~JaY

Jay1513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2013, 12:39 PM   #2
rvitko
RC Sponsor

You can do this by either bypassing the antioverfoam feature and connecting the airline directly to the scrubber or by pumping air through the scrubber with a very small air pump of about 100l/hr into the ozone port.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2013, 01:30 PM   #3
Jay1513
Registered Member

Connect the pump air line here? http://www.tunze.com/fileadmin/image...e/Ikon.150.jpg

Jay1513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2013, 01:35 PM   #4
rvitko
RC Sponsor

If you use the air pump, yes.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Unread 09/26/2017, 12:42 AM   #5
madreefer2013
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvitko View Post
You can do this by either bypassing the antioverfoam feature and connecting the airline directly to the scrubber or by pumping air through the scrubber with a very small air pump of about 100l/hr into the ozone port.
Hi Roger

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread so the outlet of the Co2 scrubber will go into the ozone inlet? How would I connect the airline to the scrubber ? To the outlet ?

madreefer2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2017, 08:40 AM   #6
rvitko
RC Sponsor

You would need an air pump, the air pump should be rated nearly equal to the pumps air consumption to get the best result, it will pump through the CO2 scrubber into the ozone port, any lack of air will be made up but with atmospheric air. At maximum capacity the pump draws 600l/hr, realistically in actual use with some air restriction it uses around 400 l/hr. I would get an air pump that does at least 250 l/hr.

Unread 09/26/2017, 10:20 AM   #7
madreefer2013
Registered Member

Quote:
You would need an air pump, the air pump should be rated nearly equal to the pumps air consumption to get the best result, it will pump through the CO2 scrubber into the ozone port, any lack of air will be made up but with atmospheric air. At maximum capacity the pump draws 600l/hr, realistically in actual use with some air restriction it uses around 400 l/hr. I would get an air pump that does at least 250 l/hr.
Many thanks for your reply.

So the air pump would feed into the inlet on the Co2 scrubber and the outlet into the ozone nipple of the skimmer?

Would this air pump be sufficient ?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eheim-Adjus.../dp/B008N9OHPO

Unread 09/26/2017, 10:44 AM   #8
rvitko
RC Sponsor

I would get the 400 model but yes. I assume 200 and 400 is the lph output.

Unread 09/26/2017, 10:50 AM   #9
madreefer2013
Registered Member

Quote:
ok thanks

Unread 09/27/2017, 09:54 PM   #10
madreefer2013
Registered Member

Quote:
I got everything connected but it doesn’t seem to work - Ph is still falling . Where is the airintake on the 9410? Should the tube from the pump still be connected ? Should I connect the scrubber straight to the pump ?

Last edited by madreefer2013; 09/27/2017 at 10:05 PM.
Unread 09/28/2017, 07:36 AM   #11
rvitko
RC Sponsor

The air is drawn from the chamber under the cup, air comes in from the ozone port and the hole that the water exits from, you could connect directly to the pump but doing so would require a T at the connection so it can draw any excess air it needs and vent any over pressurization. You would also be defeating the anti over foam system. I would leave it, raising the pH by eliminating CO2 does not tend to be a fast process, it will slowly drift up every day so the night time low is a little higher than the day before, assuming the KH is not low and there is not a lot of organic acid production in the tank from decomposition.

Unread 09/28/2017, 10:47 PM   #12
madreefer2013
Registered Member

Thanks

Unread 11/20/2017, 07:14 AM   #13
jackthelad
Registered Member

Quote:
The air is drawn from the chamber under the cup, air comes in from the ozone port and the hole that the water exits from, you could connect directly to the pump but doing so would require a T at the connection so it can draw any excess air it needs and vent any over pressurization. You would also be defeating the anti over foam system. I would leave it, raising the pH by eliminating CO2 does not tend to be a fast process, it will slowly drift up every day so the night time low is a little higher than the day before, assuming the KH is not low and there is not a lot of organic acid production in the tank from decomposition.
Hi Roger,
Thanks for these replies.
I have a 9430 dc. I’m a little confused about your comment about a T at the connection. I’m thinking this is only the case if you’re pumping air through the scubber? If not using an air pump and just connecting the scrubber directly to the skimmer pump, without too much line limiting air flow, the skimmer pump should just draw what it needs via the scrubber with no T required? Is that right?
Any thoughts about the length of the intake line from the scrubber, eg would 5’ be too much assuming 3/8” tubing (as in the BRS scrubber)?
Thanks a lot!

jackthelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2017, 09:12 AM   #14
rvitko
RC Sponsor

I don't see it working well without an air pump. The silencer connects between the pump and the top chamber which is an intermediate chamber that controls the auto air regulation to prevent foam overs. There is no real suction in this chamber due to the vent opening for water to overflow. You would have to actively pump air into this chamber, in the Master DOC skimmers no T is needed, any air beyond what is fed to it can be drawn in from the other openings. You could in theory attach the silencer directly to the scrubber and have active suction but you will then bypass the unit overcoming system and won't have that feature.