Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 12/01/2005, 08:59 AM   #551
barryhc
Registered Member

For a skylight applicaton, IF you are near a wall, two 4' x 8' sheets for "opposite walls" of mirrored acrylic could be curved in a nearly parabolic curve, from 4' wide at the top, to whatever tank width that you desire, with flat sheets at the sides, to make your "collector-amplifier". If you are 4' square wiyh the skylight, for instance, and run this into a 48" x 18" tank, you have captured 16' sq. ft. of light.

A 10" Sola Tube only delivers .55 sq. ft. per tube, so even if the skylight method was only half as effecient as the Sola Tube, 4 Sola Tubes offer a total of 2.2 sq. ft. of area, whereas the skylight version, even when rated at 50% would effectively deliver 8 sq. ft. of sunlight.

This mirrored acrylic sheet is readily available in 1/8" thick sheets, and is not that expensive. I think the relative effeciency would actually be better than 50%. It would require a bit of "boxing" in the rafters, but it wouldn't be that bad.

I just happened to have some of this for a diy hood I've been designing, and the skylight questions here got me to thinking.

Just some food for thought, this is a great thread by the way. Thanks for all the pictures Jim, and the best of luck, with corraling "Murphy".

> barryhc

Black and white don't exist, only "shades of gray"!

Current Tank Info: 27gal. hex "plenum" +16 gal. "fuge"
Unread 12/01/2005, 09:21 AM   #552
Hef
Premium Member

Interesting thoughts. I've never heard of Mirrored Acrylic, I have worked with a lot of Mirrored Aluminum & Stainless. The Stainless is best, and this collector could be made with 1/32" thick material. I'm thinking a simple wooden frame could be constructed and a couple of screws would hold it in place.

Do you think you would need any type of special collector at the top, on the outside of the roof?

The numbers you are showing are staggering as far as amount of light that could be collected. I would like to hear others opinions on this.

Hef

Unread 12/01/2005, 11:51 AM   #553
barryhc
Registered Member

Hef, I have had a 4 x 8' sheet of it for several years, and it is just as reflective as your bathroom mirror.

The curves of the sheets would be inside the house, and it takes almost nothing but gravity to put these gradual bends into the acrylic sheet. The stuff that I bought is specificaly heat resistant for close proximity to the light hood design that got put on hold for a couple of years.

As far as collecting ouside the house goes, I think you might be better off without it, just to keep things maintanence free on the roof. The numbers should be pretty accurate, but I haven't tried it.

The large tank that I will be putting in soon is going to be in the basement, so I may not get the chance to try this myself any time soon.

Four times as much light as (4) 10" Sola tubes, is certianly a lot of light, and it may be more that you need to sheild some of it in the summer, more than trying to get more at the surface of the roof.

The 16 sq. ft. collection area is already taking care of this I would think. Just my two cents.

Happy Reef Keeping! > barryhc

Unread 12/01/2005, 01:24 PM   #554
salty joe
Registered Member

Barry,
That's a real interesting. I'm going to kick that one around a little bit.

Glad to see you on my other favorite thread. I love the direction this hobby is going.

Joe

Unread 12/03/2005, 04:39 PM   #555
Chihuahua6
Premium Member

Hello again everyone. Sorry I haven't given an update but that's because nothing has changed. The 3 13" Suntunnels have been installed which I mentioned already. The hole for the inwall tank is done and trimmed out. I still need the tank! I will be placing my order soon but it will take up to 2 months to get it. You will hear from me as soon as the tank is here and running.

Current Tank Info: First salt tank 1985, current tank 150 g acrylic
Unread 12/03/2005, 05:27 PM   #556
JMBoehling
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chihuahua6
Hello again everyone. Sorry I haven't given an update but that's because nothing has changed. The 3 13" Suntunnels have been installed which I mentioned already. The hole for the inwall tank is done and trimmed out. I still need the tank! I will be placing my order soon but it will take up to 2 months to get it. You will hear from me as soon as the tank is here and running.
Thought you may have dropped the hobby and picked up something like GOLF instead

Look forwad to seeing your setup in the coming months.

Jim

Unread 12/11/2005, 10:24 PM   #557
Covey
Registered Member

Come guys updated pics!!

Unread 12/12/2005, 11:42 PM   #558
cwloo
Registered Member

Hi guys, nice tube there.

Just one question, will the newly introduce corals bleach b'cos the strong sunlight cause a light shock to them ?

Unread 12/13/2005, 10:50 AM   #559
gatohoser
Registered Member

I don't have a solatube but I would say the procedure is the same as for strong halides or any other strong light. You have to slowly bring them up to a spot where you want them from a darker area or else cover the tank with layers of a light reducing material like bird netting or whatever they use (have never gone that far with it but have seen it done) and slowly remove layers over a week or 2.

Unread 12/13/2005, 11:34 PM   #560
delnino
Registered Member

I could be a little off here but I would recommend against using mirrored acrylic for any light reflectors. I know that standard glass mirror is terrible for this purpose because it has a black backing that actually absorbs light. A room filled with mirrors appears very dark. A room painted white is very bright. Mirrors are designed to show an accurate reflection and I think the acrylic mirror is made for the same purpose. Polished aluminum, silver oxide coated aluminum, or even white metal will much better I think.

Unread 12/14/2005, 09:31 AM   #561
barryhc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by delnino
I could be a little off here but I would recommend against using mirrored acrylic for any light reflectors. I know that standard glass mirror is terrible for this purpose because it has a black backing that actually absorbs light. A room filled with mirrors appears very dark. A room painted white is very bright. Mirrors are designed to show an accurate reflection and I think the acrylic mirror is made for the same purpose. Polished aluminum, silver oxide coated aluminum, or even white metal will much better I think.
The light never gets to the "backing" because it is reflected from the mirror surface. ( and out of the "mirror filled room" for that matter )

Take a miirror and a white sheet of whatever, and lay them both flat outside on a bright sunny day. Now look into the mirror so that you can see the sun, try the same with the white sheet, if you can still figure out where it's at, and you are not on your way to the hospital.

Questions? > barryhc

Unread 12/15/2005, 03:43 PM   #562
hllywd
Premier World Traveler

I wouldn't bet my life, but if I remember correctly delnino is right concerning the reflectivity of a mirror. The mylar over aluminum type materials are supposed to reflect much more light. The glass itself will absorb some light since it has to travel through the glass twice to go where you want it...

Current Tank Info: 210 AGA RR, Apex, 3x Kessil A360W & 2x 80W T5s, GEO 618 Ca Rx, BM220 CS2 skimmer, Tunze 6100s, 42" ETSS/AE Tech refugium/sump
Unread 12/15/2005, 03:43 PM   #563
hllywd
Premier World Traveler

I wouldn't bet my life, but if I remember correctly delnino is right concerning the reflectivity of a mirror. The mylar over aluminum type materials are supposed to reflect much more light. The glass itself will absorb some light since it has to travel through the glass twice to go where you want it...

Current Tank Info: 210 AGA RR, Apex, 3x Kessil A360W & 2x 80W T5s, GEO 618 Ca Rx, BM220 CS2 skimmer, Tunze 6100s, 42" ETSS/AE Tech refugium/sump
Unread 12/15/2005, 05:17 PM   #564
gatohoser
Registered Member

I heard that too.

Unread 12/15/2005, 05:33 PM   #565
barryhc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hllywd
I think you are getting confused about "dispersing" more light, and a white room will be very bright, in fact the brightest, by way of this "dispersion". Dispersion, however, is not what we are looking for when attempting to "direct" light to a "new location".

Also, the absorbtion of light through "mirror-grade-acrylic" is quite low.

Still, if this doesn't make any sense, then take the prospective materials outside on a sunny day, and look at the suns' reflection, and throw away the ones that don't blind you.

Did you ever notice how bright a white shirt looks under a "black light"? "Perception" is a "multi-edged" sword.

Happy Reef Keeping!!! > barryhc

Unread 12/15/2005, 08:06 PM   #566
barryhc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hllywd
Good "mirror" is 97% reflective, so how much more reflective is 100%, or "perfect reflection"?

Are we making progress?

> barryhc

Unread 12/15/2005, 09:38 PM   #567
hllywd
Premier World Traveler

Sorry guys I hate to beat this to death but I went back and looked at some of my info on glass mirrors, acrylic mirrors are a little better reflectivity-wise at about 85% where a good glass "plane" mirror is about 80% reflective. A front surface mirror such as a telescope primary or secondary mirror, depending on the coatings and enhancements, can be up to about 98% reflective. Specular aluminum is from about 85% reflective to the high 90%s. Painted steel can be greater than 85% and can be enhanced to over 90%.
The confusion of appearances arises because of the way the light is reflected. A plane mirror reflects the light rays parallel and looks bright, a concave mirror's reflection converges at a focal point and if large enough won't blind you but will set your head on fire when you look at it, a convex mirrors reflection is divergent and will appear less bright. Specular aluminum, and painted surfaces can and usually are more reflective than a "regular" mirror. The difference is the light rays scatter or are more difuse.
Tim

BTW I agree white wouldn't be the way to channel light into a space but neither is a "regular" or "plane" mirror unless you're talking about reflecting the light once. Everytime the light changes direction you'll lose intensity. At 80% that will add up fast.

Unread 12/15/2005, 09:52 PM   #568
barryhc
Registered Member

If we look at "transferrence" of light, it is going to stack up a little bit differently. Firstly I will concede to Hollywood's numbers. And we can get into fine detail on reflectivity, but the "look at the sun" analogy, is going to remain. This redirects, or transfers the light to an "aimed" new location. We can get into exact energy absorption, and therefore supposed effeciencies, by reading the temperature on the back of the surface, but any "mirror surface is going to put many factors of "more" light to the new location relative to the alternative material that is not as "blinding".

Have a great day!! > barryhc

Unread 12/15/2005, 10:24 PM   #569
hllywd
Premier World Traveler

I think there are different ways of resolving this issue to our goal. The manufacturers of the tube skylights as far as I know all use some kind of specular aluminum, I installed a couple 14" Velux "tubes" this past fall that had flexible tubes much like a dryer vent only 14" dia with a shiny aluminum coating. I don't think these deserve consideration for our purposes because my instinct tells me the rigid tube would direct more light where it's desired. I think my 10" rigid Solatube is brighter than the 14" flexible Velux unit. I don't have a light meter but that's what my eyes tell me.
I think these have promise for reducing dependance on artificial lighting but unless a way to implement a larger skylight and get most of the light onto the tank area they will remain suplimental.

Unread 12/16/2005, 12:03 AM   #570
barryhc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by barryhc
For a skylight applicaton, IF you are near a wall, two 4' x 8' sheets for "opposite walls" of mirrored acrylic could be curved in a nearly parabolic curve, from 4' wide at the top, to whatever tank width that you desire, with flat sheets at the sides, to make your "collector-amplifier". If you are 4' square wiyh the skylight, for instance, and run this into a 48" x 18" tank, you have captured 16' sq. ft. of light.

A 10" Sola Tube only delivers .55 sq. ft. per tube, so even if the skylight method was only half as effecient as the Sola Tube, 4 Sola Tubes offer a total of 2.2 sq. ft. of area, whereas the skylight version, even when rated at 50% would effectively deliver 8 sq. ft. of sunlight.

This mirrored acrylic sheet is readily available in 1/8" thick sheets, and is not that expensive. I think the relative effeciency would actually be better than 50%. It would require a bit of "boxing" in the rafters, but it wouldn't be that bad.

> barryhc
Selfexplanatory

Unread 12/16/2005, 04:21 AM   #571
goby1
Premium Member

Actually, a good front-surface mirror can be pretty much 100% reflective. As long as the material is reasonably pure, and the roughness is less than the wavelength of light you want to reflect, you're good to go. Of course, that would be cost prohibitive for the casual solar collector. Edmund optics has cheap parabolic mirrors, FYI.
G1

Unread 12/16/2005, 07:57 AM   #572
salty joe
Registered Member

If your skylight measures 4' x 4', and your aquarium measures 4' x 18", what is the advantage of curving the reflective material in the light tunnel versus running flat panels?

Joe

Unread 12/16/2005, 08:10 AM   #573
hllywd
Premier World Traveler

The idea is to "focus" the light onto a spot the size of the tank.

Unread 12/16/2005, 09:18 AM   #574
salty joe
Registered Member

But the sun does not stay in a fixed position. It seems that the light would be focused at different points in different times of the day. Maybe I'm being really dense here, but I still can't see the advantage of curved panels versus flat tapering panels.

Unread 12/16/2005, 09:54 AM   #575
Trickman2
Registered Member

When I finally get a house and not a condo. I plan on doing the solatubes for my tank.

Closed Thread