Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/04/2014, 02:46 AM   #351
smilesmile2008
I like fish

What a wonderful tank, Carlos I could see my future. Thanks for sharing! I'm planning build a new tank together with my son Robbie, could you help us figure out some questions in our mind?
1) How to arrange the tank free of maintenance for a holiday out of the town, let's say 2 weeks. e.g. automatic water supply, not cleaning for Skimmer. Others could be easy for auto lighting, feeding etc.
2) How to make sure good water quality with many fish inside the tank? some special equipment needed? I saw lots of good tanks with Nitrat & Phosphate < 0.02 ppm. We want a tank only need less daily maintenance as less as possible.
3) Any way to let soft coral grow? As I know, it's very hard. Hard coral is OK.

smilesmile2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2016, 04:56 PM   #352
Walter White
Registered Member

What a beautiful reef! Do you mind if I ask you a few questions?

Regarding your sump, you say "labyrinth consisting of 18 chambers where any solid particles that made it through the skimmer can sediment to the bottom". By doing this, you eliminated the need to run filter socks. Is that correct? I do not see filter socks anywhere.

You mentioned that you use 140 liters of Siporax to maintain roughly 2000 liters of water in total. That works out to 1 liter of Siporax per 14.28 liters of water. Is that still about the ratio you are running today?

From the pictures of your Siporax containers it looks like most of the water flows across them from the top starting on the left side and exiting the right. In other words, the inlets and outlets are all at the top of your containers so no water is being forced down into the Siporax stacks and out the bottom. This must help you to achieve the denitrification effect down inside the Siporax stacks and coming out the bottom where spacers are in use. Is that correct or am I missing something?

Thanks!

Walter White is offline   Reply With Quote