Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Tunze
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/23/2016, 09:07 AM   #1
thelawnwrangler
Registered Member

Tunze 9004 - Noise Help

I got my Tunze 9004 in last night and set it up, but it is louder than I was expecting. Given the reviews of being a really quiet skimmer I think something might be a miss. Sound isn't deafening so maybe it is louder than my old skimmer that wasn't doing what it was suppose to.

I have the top magnet with what I think is about 1/4 inch under water. I am about halfway up on my intake grate as far as water level. The silencer is hanging outside the tank. I removed the impeller and popped it back in place. I also looked at the needle wheel and to me it looked good (unsure what I was looking for). So I am wondering if there are so other suggestions?

I am not sure what I was looking for on needle wheel. Also the motor seems to only mount on the outside wall of the skimmer? is there a mount for the airtubing inside of the unit?

thelawnwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2016, 10:55 AM   #2
rvitko
RC Sponsor

The silencer attaches to the outside of the tank with the small piece of velcro, or it can just hang outside. The skimmer can attach to any wall, both magnet halves are waterproof.

I would make sure the impeller cover is attached to the pump, after checking that no needles are broken. Let it run for at least 2 weeks, noise can often be only due to some air in the impeller well or needing to break in a little, if it doesn't improve we can send a new needle wheel.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2016, 11:08 AM   #3
thelawnwrangler
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvitko View Post
The silencer attaches to the outside of the tank with the small piece of velcro, or it can just hang outside. The skimmer can attach to any wall, both magnet halves are waterproof.

I would make sure the impeller cover is attached to the pump, after checking that no needles are broken. Let it run for at least 2 weeks, noise can often be only due to some air in the impeller well or needing to break in a little, if it doesn't improve we can send a new needle wheel.
I think break in is the answer- thanks

I am starting to produce good foam so I am really excited about the product, and the quality is evident. It fits together well. The submersible magnet let me put it on an inner wall. I am really liking it. I wish the silencer tubing was 1 inch longer- have it sideways going the long way it doesn't quiet hang straight down outside my tank.

thelawnwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2016, 02:38 PM   #4
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Thank you, you could extend the tubing to the silencer, they make them shorter as the longer it is, the less air it can take in, but an extra inch is not going to be a big issue.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Unread 03/04/2019, 11:41 AM   #5
RyvBoy
Registered Member

Is it possible for you to keep the skimmer in the sump?

I've some noise problem too.. they seems to be pump related. maybe with time they will calm down?

RyvBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2019, 03:48 PM   #6
rvitko
RC Sponsor

You can, as long as the depth is correct. It would likely be a good idea to extend the air line to the silencer so it is outside the sump, long term you will have to break it down more often as is because it will tend to clog with salt creep, if you can get the silencer hanging outside the sump, that will reduce the build up and frequency of cleaning the air intake. Noise issues generally don't resolve with time, so I would double check the depth, it is not too clear from the photo, but you never want the intake under the cup submerged more than half or less than a quarter.

Unread 03/05/2019, 03:45 AM   #7
RyvBoy
Registered Member

Quote:
You can, as long as the depth is correct. It would likely be a good idea to extend the air line to the silencer so it is outside the sump, long term you will have to break it down more often as is because it will tend to clog with salt creep, if you can get the silencer hanging outside the sump, that will reduce the build up and frequency of cleaning the air intake. Noise issues generally don't resolve with time, so I would double check the depth, it is not too clear from the photo, but you never want the intake under the cup submerged more than half or less than a quarter.
thank you very much.

is it ok even like this?

the intake is ok. as in the instruction.

the pump should be not this noisy i guess

Unread 03/05/2019, 09:40 AM   #8
rvitko
RC Sponsor

It should be very quiet, usually noise means something is in the pump, the impeller cover is loose, or the impeller is out of balance and should be replaced.

Unread 03/18/2019, 02:00 PM   #9
RyvBoy
Registered Member

Quote:
It should be very quiet, usually noise means something is in the pump, the impeller cover is loose, or the impeller is out of balance and should be replaced.

The noise

https://youtu.be/HrbI3Eu-y4s

Unread 03/19/2019, 03:45 PM   #10
RyvBoy
Registered Member

in this one you can hear it better.

what do you think?

https://youtu.be/QNU3PzS7qdo

Unread 03/20/2019, 09:03 AM   #11
rvitko
RC Sponsor

It is too loud, but the water level is very high, only half at most of the intake grate under the cup should be in water. It should be almost silent. Have you checked inside that the impeller cover is attached to the pump?

Unread 03/22/2019, 04:18 AM   #12
RyvBoy
Registered Member

Quote:
It is too loud, but the water level is very high, only half at most of the intake grate under the cup should be in water. It should be almost silent. Have you checked inside that the impeller cover is attached to the pump?

thank you! yes I know the water level was high in the video but it was just temporary. the noise is the same even at right level.

I checked inside this morning and it seemed all right to me

Unread 03/22/2019, 09:55 AM   #13
rvitko
RC Sponsor

I would contact Tunze Italia for a new impeller under warranty, it is the only moving part and is the likely source of the noise, it is probably imbalanced in some way.

Unread 04/03/2019, 07:39 AM   #14
RyvBoy
Registered Member

https://youtu.be/I_jck4EYETk This is the pump isolated

Unread 04/03/2019, 09:16 AM   #15
rvitko
RC Sponsor

It is hard to make a determination from this because of the air noise. Totally submerged would give me more information but I think the best is to contact Tunze Germany or Italia for the drive unit. I am in USA and would not even have the 50Hz version you need.