Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/07/2010, 11:57 PM   #1
Bardelss
Registered Member

Porcelain Crab still alive

I bought a porcelain crab over a week ago.

I have been looking for him multiple times everyday and at night thinking he was going to come out then with no luck until today.

When I saw him today its not like he was out in the open. I found him all the way back between two rocks sitting and fannig away.

I had an Emerald Crab before and it was always out. It would climb to the highest point of my rock pile and everytime my Yellow Tang swam by it would literally jump off and try to grab him with his pinchers and climb back up and do it again. But one day for reasons unknown I found him in the middle of my tank dead.

Now I need some advice.

My tank: 125 gallon with ~100 live rock (Fiji if it matters) and adding a few rocks every 2 weeks or so until its full or i'm satisfied. Not a reef tank (someday it will be but for now I only have a few mushrooms)

Can I have more then 1 Porcelain Crabs?

How many do I need to put in there so I can see one or two on a somewhat regular basis?

Will a Porcelain Crab and an Emerald Crab get along?

Can I have more then 1 Emerald Crabs?

Can I have multiple of both?

Any recommendation on crabs that come out or are out most of the time?

Are Decor Crabs destructive to a reef tank? (friend had a bad experience with one)

By the way, how long do Emerald Crabs live? Mine was about 3 inches across when I got him and he molted twice in a little over a year before his departure.

Thanks in advance

Bardel

Bardelss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2010, 12:17 AM   #2
nikesb
Registered Member

i have an emerald crab and a porcelain in a 10 gallon and they dont do any harm to one another. my porcelain comes out alot and cleans my sand bed, i dont know if thats normal, but im not complaining

Unread 03/08/2010, 01:08 AM   #3
Toddrtrex
Registered Member

Mine is always out, but then again, it is living in one of my Haddonis, so no need for it to hide.

Current Tank Info: 210g reef and 65g reef
Toddrtrex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crab, crabs, emerald, porcelain