Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/19/2018, 10:13 AM   #1
xclusive252
NY Reef Club member

DIY Chaeto Reactor

Looking to build one and wanted to see what people has done already and maybe steal some of your ideas .

xclusive252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2018, 06:12 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

A quick search on here as well a google yields a plethora of images/ideas/threads about them.. Have you tried that?

In general most simply repurpose other media reactors and simply wrap some LED tape lights around the outside..

Unread 09/20/2018, 07:29 AM   #3
dannyfish
Registered Member

Just put it directly in your display tank. You save money and cost of electricity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dannyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2018, 03:18 PM   #4
xclusive252
NY Reef Club member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyfish View Post
Just put it directly in your display tank. You save money and cost of electricity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So a display tank of chaeto ??? hmmmmm

Unread 09/20/2018, 03:21 PM   #5
xclusive252
NY Reef Club member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
A quick search on here as well a google yields a plethora of images/ideas/threads about them.. Have you tried that?

In general most simply repurpose other media reactors and simply wrap some LED tape lights around the outside..
Figured it would be a good topic since its the new thing and alot of ppl are doing it. Getting a reactor and wrapping lights to me isnt DIY. Was looking for people to find the materials at a store or online to make one. Most GFO/Carbon reactors have a small dia. like 4" where as in a chaeto reactor there some where in the 8" dia. But thank you Ill look into and hope that RC Mods feel the way I do and keep it open.

Unread 09/20/2018, 03:26 PM   #6
steamman
Registered Member

I can't get mine to grow. It has been the same size for 4 months. Very dark green and healthy looking. Looks like really dark green brillo. Not to get off subject but I also can't get any GHA to grow either. I am a little worried about my clean up crew.

Less is

Current Tank Info: 800 gal of salt water flowing in my basement
steamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2018, 05:40 PM   #7
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamman View Post
I can't get mine to grow. It has been the same size for 4 months. Very dark green and healthy looking. Looks like really dark green brillo. Not to get off subject but I also can't get any GHA to grow either. I am a little worried about my clean up crew.
What are your Nitrate and phosphate levels?.. Algea needs light and nutrients and a few other key elements (iron,etc...)..
Quite often chaeto does great till it lowers your nutrients then it starves...

Unread 09/20/2018, 05:52 PM   #8
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xclusive252 View Post
Figured it would be a good topic since its the new thing and alot of ppl are doing it. Getting a reactor and wrapping lights to me isnt DIY. Was looking for people to find the materials at a store or online to make one. Most GFO/Carbon reactors have a small dia. like 4" where as in a chaeto reactor there some where in the 8" dia. But thank you Ill look into and hope that RC Mods feel the way I do and keep it open.
Some nice cast acrylic tube along with some flat pieces to make end caps..then some bulkheads and various fittings..then some tape lights would get you started on that...
Extruded acrylic tube will save some money but is far more brittle and prone to cracking.