Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/22/2010, 08:10 AM   #26
lowman31
Registered Member

My tangs did not make it out of QT. They looked fine and then they both died over a couple of hours. I put seasoned filter stuff into the tank, I just think it wasn't enough. My plan is too get some rubble out of my bubble tower and put it in fluval on the qt. That should do it for the filtration. Then...I think I am going to try LiveAquaria.com. I haven't been impressed with my LFS's selection and quality lately. I have been wanting to try on line ordering.

Does anyone have experience with Liveaquaria.com

lowman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2010, 02:39 PM   #27
jusn317
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about the tangs. I've ordered from Liveaquaria a couple times. Both from the Divers Den section. Everything was perfectly healthy and is still doing great in my tank. Defintely one of the best online places to get fish from.

jusn317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2010, 06:15 PM   #28
lowman31
Registered Member

jusn317: Thanks. I have been talking to some other people and everyone says Liveaquaria.com is awesome.

I got some new frags today: Red Hot Chilipepper monti, Red monti digi, superman monti, Idaho Grape monti, Red Planet acro. They are small frags but I gae them room to grow. By the time I had them positioned the MH's were off and I couldn't get any good pictures.

Fish are doing well. Blonde naso tang is eating like a pig now and looks to be gaining weight. It still has some white egg looking things on a small spot on its tail.

My other corals are starting to color up and I am getting excited. The algae appears less. Parameters have been stable. Coraline algae is appearing on the glass, the overflows, and the PVC bottom. More updates to come.

Unread 10/28/2010, 06:37 PM   #29
lowman31
Registered Member

Here are some Pic's. And yes, they are not the best.

FTS

Superman Monti

Red Planet, hard to see but its right in the middle of the photo.

Anemone and Bubble coral....odd couple.

Now I just need it all to grow.

Grape Monti

Purple Haze

Cool Coral, some kind of monti

Odd Couple

Unread 11/06/2010, 06:41 AM   #30
lowman31
Registered Member

I finally synchronized my neighbor's schedule and he is coming over to take some good pic's of my tank. I am excited to see how they come out. Hopefully I can post some pic's tonight.

Unread 11/08/2010, 10:08 AM   #31
lowman31
Registered Member

Fish are all doing well. I can notice some growth on all my corals. Had an issue with pH that I attribute increased CO2 in my basement. My pH was dropping to 7.6 at night. To try and fix this I starting running the light on my refugium 24hrs. I also placed some plants in the sump room and put an air stone in the sump. These things helped a little. The lowest pH I have gotten the last three days is 7.89, which I am OK with.

I am going to add three tangs to my QT this week. A convict, a kole, and a powder blue. I have been doing some reading and it sounds like a crap shoot as to whether these guys are going to all get along or not. We shall see. I plan on documenting the whole event very closely. Anyone have any opinions?

Unread 11/09/2010, 05:09 PM   #32
lowman31
Registered Member

I ordered three fish from liveaquaria.com today: Powder Blue tang, convict tang, and a flame angel. I upgraded my QT today to a 40 gal breeder. I don't know yet whether fish are coming tomorrow or Thursday. I have off both days so either on will work. I am excited and scared to see what comes.

Unread 11/11/2010, 08:19 AM   #33
lowman31
Registered Member

Today is new fish day. According to fedex they are in clevfeland and on the way to the 'Ville. I tested my QT and found some nitrates this AM. I did a 10% water change and put some LR from the display sump. Hopefully this will get the nitrates down.

Unread 11/11/2010, 11:01 AM   #34
EddieJ
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowman31 View Post
I ordered three fish from liveaquaria.com today: Powder Blue tang, convict tang, and a flame angel. I upgraded my QT today to a 40 gal breeder. I don't know yet whether fish are coming tomorrow or Thursday. I have off both days so either on will work. I am excited and scared to see what comes.
I prefer to QT one fish at a time. If you put 3 in there, and one is sick you now have 3 sick fish instead of one. Plus with other tank mates, the fish does not get the benefit of an extended stress free time without competition for area and food.

Good Luck with the new arrivals, always an exciting time...

EddieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2010, 01:28 PM   #35
lowman31
Registered Member

Thanks EddieJ. My QT is a 40 breeder and I have hopefully provided enough hiding spots to accomodate 3 fish. I also have a 20 breeder if things call for it. The fish are aclimating right now and look fat ans healthy. It is exciting....and nerve racking!!

Unread 11/11/2010, 01:44 PM   #36
strout
Registered Member

Thats a great size for a tank. I am a sand man myself, but other than that, will be a great looking tank down the road. Congrats to you. I am about to get a frag or two (one for a friend) from a local reefer of the Purple Haze montipora, love that coral.

Last edited by strout; 11/11/2010 at 01:54 PM.
strout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2010, 08:57 AM   #37
lowman31
Registered Member

Fish are still alive this AM. Flame angel is eating, tangs are not. Tangs are alert and swimming around. Powder blue is swimming around more than the convict. After feeding I did a small water change and then went to work. I got some PIC's that I will post tonight. Hope everything goes well while I am at work. New fish make me nervous.

Unread 11/12/2010, 12:17 PM   #38
psusocr
Registered Member

Where did you buy your tank? i want those exact dimensions but cant find any reputable manufacturers in my area?

Thanks!!

psusocr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2010, 10:58 PM   #39
lowman31
Registered Member

psusocr: I ordered my tank from A.G.E. in Texas. You have to order through a vendor, they don't deal with the public right now. Really good company. I haven't heard anything bad from anyone. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Unread 11/13/2010, 07:00 AM   #40
lowman31
Registered Member

Here are some pic's of the new fish in QT.

Powder Blue is about 6". I wanted him bigger to be able to put up with my Yellow. The Convict is about 3-4" and the flame is about 4". I haven't checked out the fish yet this morning but they looked good yeterday evening. I didn't see the tangs eat yet but the nori I put in the tank in the morning was gone.

Unread 11/13/2010, 08:41 AM   #41
lowman31
Registered Member

Powder Blue is taking nori now but not eating any frozen. Flame angel is eating well and actively searching out the food that the tangs aren't eating. The convict is not eating as far as I can see. When I observe from the doorway it swims around and looks alert, just not eating.

Unread 11/13/2010, 08:57 PM   #42
lowman31
Registered Member

I have been noticing that my PE has been diminished. I have been reading a lot about how Yellow Clown Gobies nipping sps. I did not know that. I just put my goby in a week ago. Well, I guess I got my Sunday planned. Good luck to me.

Unread 11/13/2010, 09:40 PM   #43
lowman31
Registered Member

Sunday is freed up. The goby swam into my monti cap and I put the whole coral in the net. The goby is back into the frag tank. I am interested to see if my PE gets better.

Unread 11/14/2010, 05:47 PM   #44
willj313
Registered Member

nice tank

willj313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2010, 06:50 PM   #45
lowman31
Registered Member

willj313: Thank you.

Polyp extension was better today so I think the yellow clown goby was doing something to bother the corals. Whether it was just sitting on the corals or nipping them, I don't know. All I know is that corals look better when polyps are extended fully.

Fish in QT are all still alive. Flame angel and Powder blue are eating well. I still have not seen the convict eat but is it is swimming around more and color looks good. The convict is the Powder blues puppy dog now. The convict follows the PB all over. No aggression between anybody either.

Unread 11/17/2010, 04:04 PM   #46
lowman31
Registered Member

The convict is eating. All the fish in QT are doing well. The convict and the powder blue are only eating nori, a lot of nori.

Acro's in the DT are looking better today. Two things changed: I removed the yellow clown goby and the pH has bumped up from a low of 7.8 to a low of 7.9-8.0. I stablized my pH by making more room for my macro algae to grow. I had been running the lights on my fuge 24 hrs and still am. Don't know which one did it.

Unread 11/18/2010, 05:53 PM   #47
lowman31
Registered Member

gonorth16: Pink monti is my favorite coral. It is a little bleached from too much light when I first moved it. It is coloring up nicely now. I hope it takes over the whole left side of my tank.

Unread 11/27/2010, 09:32 AM   #48
lowman31
Registered Member

Update time. Everything id doing well. Corals are all growing, slow, but growing. Fish are all healthy including my newbies in QT. PE is good and my pH has been stable. My pH has been extremely stable fluctuating from 8.02 at night to 8.2 during the day. I think this has to do with my refugium. I have allowed the chaeto to grow without harvesting so I have a good amount now. I leave the lights on 24 hours. Here are some pic's my neighbor took.. HE has a good camera and knows what he is doing but my little frags still are ho humm. These pic's will be something I can look back on and say "Wow, those are so small"

FTS

Nem, Bubble, Monti

Pink Monti Cap: coloring back up

Monti Plating/encrusting/dig

Green Acro

Bought this as pink mille

Blue mille

Red Planet

Red monti digi

Cool pic

Unread 11/28/2010, 05:16 PM   #49
hebsway
Registered Member

Looks good the top shot is really cool

hebsway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2010, 07:42 PM   #50
lowman31
Registered Member

Thanks hebsway. I really wanted to be able to look at my reef this way which is why I went with eurobracing. I love my open top. Just like standing on the edge of a reef.