Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/07/2015, 10:01 PM   #1751
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_stir View Post
Black out and reduced photo periods don't work.
Dinos love the sand so remove it, at least where the light shines on it.
Leave the skimmer, phos media off til green algae is growing on the glass.
Run a small amount of carbon.
10uM filter socks.
No water changes.
Run tank water through a 5uM sediment filter with a pump and change the filter every 5 days.
Keep dosing phyto.
Doing all that except the 5 micron filter and sand removal. I wish I had green algae on the glass. Or anywhere. Got cyano in a few places, and dinos. Not sure how I'd even set up a 5 micron sediment filter, it would clog instantaneously, but I will look into it. I think I have some 10uM socks around, previously had them overnight on the return nozzles. They sure clogged up quickly.

thanks,
Ivy

Current Tank Info: 28g aio, 105 watt CF lights, no sump or skimmer. 2 sexy shrimp, tiny frogspawn, tiny toadstool, tiny lps. Started Feb '15
Quiet_Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2015, 10:10 PM   #1752
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDon View Post
Been awhile since I have posted any updates on my battle with dinos. Slow flow UV (57 watt aquaUV) did not kill them but does seem to help in controlling the populations.

So now I am getting ready to close on a house and do not have a good place for an 8 foot tank. I am going to use this move as an opportunity to do a reset. Am in the process of ordering a custom tank and stand. Plan to use all new live rock and sand from TBS so I don't just move dinos to the new tank and will have plenty of microfauna. I do want to keep my corals and fish. Any suggestions on ways to prevent dinos from hitching a ride into the new tank on my corals? I will have to move a few pieces of rock over that my few remaining larger corals are heavily encrusted on. Thanks in advance.
Congrats on the new house! One of my favourite quotes is that 3 moves equals a house fire. I don't have any advice on moving corals, except that I'd do a dip to the max tolerance of the coral. You might try Bayer insecticide dips; I haven't tried it myself but I read that it kills pretty much everything and is tolerated well by corals. TBS seem like a great company; if they shipped up here to Canadia I'd have used their rock.

hth
Ivy

Current Tank Info: 28g aio, 105 watt CF lights, no sump or skimmer. 2 sexy shrimp, tiny frogspawn, tiny toadstool, tiny lps. Started Feb '15
Unread 09/08/2015, 12:32 AM   #1753
alston2
Registered Member

I hope this isn't veering off topic here, but since so many of you have them - can I get a recommendation on where to get a good scope? My notes (probably from talking w pants) tell me 4 or 10 objective and 40x magnification but a quality lens is most important. Any brand suggestions? I'm not sure how I would assess the lens. TIA.

alston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2015, 02:05 AM   #1754
karimwassef
Registered Member

I'll share a personal ally - urchins. The cheapest ones you can find. Get a bunch.

I've never had one die and they eat up cyano, diatoms, algae and bacterial growths. They're pretty indiscriminate and they shift the tide of war.

Well, they did for me anyway.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2015, 07:03 AM   #1755
Billybatz9
Registered Member

I want to take sandbed out to reduce dinoflagellates, but how do I do that with a pistol shrimp?

Billybatz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2015, 07:12 AM   #1756
Billybatz9
Registered Member

Does anyone else have the same problem as me....

Dealing with dinoflagellates and still buying corals? LOL

Unread 09/08/2015, 07:14 AM   #1757
Billybatz9
Registered Member

Girlfriends tank has dinoflagellates thanks to yours truly But since it's a new tank, we will be experimenting with hair algae.

Hair algae has started to form on her sandbed (new tank process). Will let it grow out and see if it outcompetes the dinos. If it does, I will be taking some and putting it in my tank.

Unread 09/08/2015, 12:24 PM   #1758
DDon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet_Ivy View Post
Congrats on the new house! One of my favourite quotes is that 3 moves equals a house fire. I don't have any advice on moving corals, except that I'd do a dip to the max tolerance of the coral. You might try Bayer insecticide dips; I haven't tried it myself but I read that it kills pretty much everything and is tolerated well by corals. TBS seem like a great company; if they shipped up here to Canadia I'd have used their rock.

hth
Ivy
Thanks Ivy, I appreciate it.
I was thinking of dipping everything, but wasn't sure what might be effective on dinos.
I was also thinking about spaying any exposed rock that corals are attached to with hydrogen peroxide.

DDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2015, 01:37 PM   #1759
Billybatz9
Registered Member

Anyone have dino-x left over? I would like to buy the bottle of dino-x if you have some left. PM me. Maybe it will work on my kind. I am desperate. lol

Unread 09/08/2015, 02:10 PM   #1760
mathman7728
Registered Member

my corals seem really happy...good growth, some with good color others with OK color others more brown that i like to see.

interesting that there are different views on what that photo represents....is there someplace/someone that is the expert on IDing this stuff?

mathman7728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2015, 02:21 PM   #1761
shamus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybatz9 View Post
Anyone have dino-x left over? I would like to buy the bottle of dino-x if you have some left. PM me. Maybe it will work on my kind. I am desperate. lol

I would try everything else before dinox. I wish I had never used it. It wipes out all the pods and good stuff. I have been battling Dino for 6 months. I am finally getting some good results by adding a lot of pods, black outs and siphoning them out every couple days. Dinox did not work for me and I think did more bad than good, but that is just my opinion and experience. Dino's are the devil!

shamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2015, 02:39 PM   #1762
Billybatz9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post
I would try everything else before dinox. I wish I had never used it. It wipes out all the pods and good stuff. I have been battling Dino for 6 months. I am finally getting some good results by adding a lot of pods, black outs and siphoning them out every couple days. Dinox did not work for me and I think did more bad than good, but that is just my opinion and experience. Dino's are the devil!
Thanks for the advice. I just feel like crap. I want to enjoy the hobby and this algae is ruining it and making me waste more money than I have too.

Unread 09/08/2015, 07:35 PM   #1763
shamus
Registered Member

Believe me I understand. I have had every algae you can have and Dino has been the most difficult thing I have had to deal with. Just be patient and be persistent and you will win. Nothing happens fast in a reef tank. Read all you can in is thread and other threads and try to do what the others have suggested. I think the pods and phyto is the way to go. UV sounds like it works too if you can use one. I don't think there is a magic potion or treatment that will get rid of it overnight. Apply more than one method others have used and don't give up. Good luck

shamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2015, 09:11 PM   #1764
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alston2 View Post
I hope this isn't veering off topic here, but since so many of you have them - can I get a recommendation on where to get a good scope? My notes (probably from talking w pants) tell me 4 or 10 objective and 40x magnification but a quality lens is most important. Any brand suggestions? I'm not sure how I would assess the lens. TIA.
Not Toys R Us. Seriously about 3 of my friends with kids have toy scopes, and none of them work. I'd actually try your local university/technical college /mad scientist organisation; they will probably have lots of used ones up for much less than a new will cost. (Mine's from uni surplus. Now if I could just find slides for it..)

hth
Ivy

Unread 09/08/2015, 09:13 PM   #1765
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
I'll share a personal ally - urchins. The cheapest ones you can find. Get a bunch.

I've never had one die and they eat up cyano, diatoms, algae and bacterial growths. They're pretty indiscriminate and they shift the tide of war.

Well, they did for me anyway.
Hey, cool.. did you have snails die though? I think urchins are very cool animals, but I know I have a snail-killing variety of dinos.

Ivy

Unread 09/08/2015, 09:15 PM   #1766
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDon View Post
Thanks Ivy, I appreciate it.
I was thinking of dipping everything, but wasn't sure what might be effective on dinos.
I was also thinking about spaying any exposed rock that corals are attached to with hydrogen peroxide.
Looking through an older thread on dinos at lunch for ideas and ran into this:
Here's a link to someone experimenting with his dinos: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...962886&page=36
Pretty good info for dipping.

hth
Ivy

Unread 09/08/2015, 09:42 PM   #1767
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathman7728 View Post
my corals seem really happy...good growth, some with good color others with OK color others more brown that i like to see.

interesting that there are different views on what that photo represents....is there someplace/someone that is the expert on IDing this stuff?
There was a grad student/ post doc? named Pants who was doing a thesis on dino taxonomy. Before I had them, unfortunately. He was collecting samples from aquarists. He's probably long graduated by now, but his website is here:
http://www.algaeid.com/identification/

Here's youtube videos of some of the more common dinos: (also by Pants) https://www.youtube.com/user/YorickSanchez/feed

I would post the pic you have to wetwebmedia's question of the day. They do have experts on staff. That's how I found out I had dinos, then I came here. Kind of backwards.

hth
Ivy

Unread 09/09/2015, 12:05 AM   #1768
karimwassef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet_Ivy View Post
Hey, cool.. did you have snails die though? I think urchins are very cool animals, but I know I have a snail-killing variety of dinos.

Ivy
Snails, hares and crabs died. Urchins just munched on.

Helps to be as ancient as the diatoms on the evolutionary chain.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
Unread 09/09/2015, 08:16 PM   #1769
natas
Registered Member

Has anyone tried running a diatom filter at night to try and rid the tank of Dino? I just read an interesting article about this very thing.

http://aquarticles.com/articles/mana...omfilters.html

natas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2015, 08:46 PM   #1770
karimwassef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
Hmmmm, a diatomaceous filter running in the dark as the main filter with high in-tank flow for several days should scrub the water pretty aggressively. Has anyone tried this?
That's what I said a few pages ago...

Looking through that site, I think this is the article you're talking about.
http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/...xic_Algae.html

Unread 09/09/2015, 10:05 PM   #1771
natas
Registered Member

Ahh I must of missed that Karin. My tank currently has Dino but I also have very high phosphate and nitrates so if they are still around after I get my levels down I may try this. I am just wondering if this is a better route compared to uv.

Unread 09/09/2015, 10:12 PM   #1772
karimwassef
Registered Member

Different, yes. Why better?

Unread 09/10/2015, 05:42 AM   #1773
natas
Registered Member

Well if it works it could be a cheaper route over uv. A uv for my system would be $500 while I could get a good diatom for $200 or less.

Not saying it is better. In fact I think uv is a better choice overall because you get other benefits out of it

Unread 09/10/2015, 09:39 AM   #1774
karimwassef
Registered Member

My UV was $200. How big's your system?

Unread 09/10/2015, 10:00 AM   #1775
natas
Registered Member

260G. I was looking at the Emperor Aquatics. I have always read the twist and other brands are not worth the money and are not effective.