Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/04/2018, 01:58 PM   #1
fishinchick
Mrs. Aquaman ;)

450 G FOWLR lighting

Okay so I have this 450 gallon cylinder fowlr. I'm having a heck of a time with lighting. The old lighting is a couple of canopies sitting directly over the top that have shifted spectrum and are causing algae. I needed to get something possibly like pendants over it which is the preferred choice of the client. I really don't want to set something on top of the tank again and I definitely don't want anything that attaches to the side of anything

What I would absolutely love to find is some sort of screw in socket LEDs that are not going to cause lots of heat. I don't need anything terribly blue and of course I don't need a $500 Set of Lights. This is just a fish only system with no corals

Any suggestions or input would be great. I do not want anything long. I do not want halides

Adrienne Longo-White

Current Tank Info: 55 gallon mixed soft/LPS
fishinchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2018, 04:42 PM   #2
elecbzerk
Premium Member

I have had older T5 bulbs that caused some algae before, but every FOWLR tank Ive had I used T5's and just kept an eye on the PAR, basically lasted about 1 yr. Or maybe some of the cheaper freshwater LED fixtures. Also, you could try some softies that love phospates like GSP..never seen a fish mess with GSP and grew like wildfire in my FOWLR in my past.

elecbzerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2018, 10:59 AM   #3
McPuff
Registered Member

I would just get some cheap LEDs that provide a pleasant spectrum. No need to change bulbs or provide high intensity. These can all be hung in some way as well. Should work very well.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2018, 05:15 PM   #4
on the spot
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinchick View Post
...I needed to get something possibly like pendants over it which is the preferred choice of the client...
1/8 hardboard - a 4x8 sheet is fairly cheap. Rip a 6" length off the 8' edge, and bend it into a circle.

Would make a nice pendant type lamp hider - light enough to hang.

HTH

on the spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2018, 09:42 PM   #5
PeteStarks
Registered Member

You can grab some Chinese black box units for fairly cheap. I got tired of messing with the T5's in my aging light fixture and have been happy with the upgrade so far.

PeteStarks is offline   Reply With Quote