Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/17/2018, 06:12 PM   #1
wrxreefer823
Registered Member

Returning to the Hobby- 34G Build

Good (snowy) afternoon all!

After a four year break from the hobby, I’m finally back!!! First, a bit of backstory. Up until early 2014, I kept a 34G Nano mixed reed and a 120G mixed reef. I broke both of those down and sold them off in anticipation of a move. After a marriage, a move from PA to NC, and a little bun in the oven (she’ll be here in 5 weeks!), I’m finally back into the hobby. Whilst browsing Facebook Marketplace this past weekend, I came across a used 34G Solana AIO (coincidentally, same model 34G I had in the past) with stand, LR, MH pendant, dry rock and some other goodies for a steal! I just wanted to show it to the wife, and to my surprise, she told me to go get it!

After a trip up to look at it, I loaded it up into the back of my truck and was on my way. The seller told me the stand was a bit beat up, but the price was right. When I got it all home, I noticed the particle board stand was slight warped where the tank sits. Easy fix, right? WRONG. The stand is very similar to Ikea furniture. Utter crap. I went down to my LFS I used to work at (literally a minute down the street, both a blessing and a curse), and they hooked me up with a 20 x 20 inch Deep Blue Series V stand which should be here tomorrow. This is my first time having metal halides, and I don’t think it’ll be using them for very long, if at all. I have my eye on a AI Prime HD or a Radion XR15, not sure yet. I had a Radion Gen 1 over my last cube and it yielded great color and growth, but I can’t really stomach the cost on the XR15. I also already have an Eshopps Nano Skimmer that I used on my previous 34G.

It’s snowing pretty hard today in Raleigh and they grounded our fleet at work, so I decided to use some free time and clean up the tank a bit. The tank itself is in good shape, however the back piece is caked in dead coralline, so I took a trip to the store for a gallon of white vinegar and a spray bottle. So far I’ve soaked it and scrubbed it twice, it’s almost all off! Once that’s all done, I’ll probably take the rock (which has been sitting in a tub of evaporated saltwater and sand for God knows how long) and the tank to the local DIY car wash and give it a good rinse with the power washer.

My proposed equipment list is as follows:
Already have-
Solana 34G AIO Cube
Eshopps Nano Skimmer
15 or so pounds of dry rock, will probably get another chunk of 5 pounds or so to seed system

Waiting on Deep Blue Professional Series V stand

Need to order-
AutoAqua Smart ATO (or micro, not sure yet)
AI Prime HD w/ mount or Radion XR15, again, still need to decide
Ecotech MP10W-QD
Eheim Jager TruTemp 150W (a bit more than I need, but we like to keep our place cold lol)

That’s about it for equipment, I’ve always kept my aquariums with just the essentials. My philosophy is that less is more, and that the fish and corals let me know how my tank is doing. Anyone who’s been in this hobby for a decent amount of time knows that if you skimp out on good equipment, you’ll pay for it in the end, so I think I have a good set up going here.

TL;DR version,
I got a new tank, here’s some pictures!

Here’s the tank as it sat on the Facebook Marketplace post. When I got there it was already broken down and stuffed into their crawl space. Yay...

I stuck it on the stand and plugged in the MH just to test it. The picture makes it look a lot brighter than it is. I think the bulb is at the end of its life, and I don’t really feel like investing in it any more than I have to if I’m switching to LED’s.

Here you can see how bad the stand is. You can’t really tell by the second picture, but the top is bowed.

Cleaning the tank out of sand and rock rubble. Miss Ruby (our Boxer/English Bulldog mix) is carefully inspecting.

After one session of a vinegar spray and scrub. She looks MUCH better now, I’m hoping a power wash will get rid of what’s left tomorrow.

We took a little break to go play in the snow, we had about six inches around 3PM and it’s been coming down hard ever since! I’m originally from PA so I’m used to getting a good snow, but this is the most I’ve seen since we moved here a few years ago. I tend to turn into a big(ger) kid when it snows. Lol

I want an aquascape similar to this. I LOVE the minimalist look. I can’t decide, though, if I want two pillars or one central pillar with an outlying island or two.

Lastly, anybody in the Raleigh, NC area?! I don’t have any reefing buddies down here.

Happy Reefing!
-Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Currently setting up a Red Sea 625 XXL

Last edited by wrxreefer823; 01/28/2018 at 09:48 PM.
wrxreefer823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2018, 06:34 PM   #2
2_zoa
Registered Member

Do you plan to power wash the tank?

I’m not sure I would do that personally.

2_zoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2018, 06:35 PM   #3
wrxreefer823
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_zoa View Post
Do you plan to power wash the tank?

I’m not sure I would do that personally.

Mainly just the black plastic to get any remaining dead coralline off.

Unread 01/17/2018, 07:22 PM   #4
wrxreefer823
Registered Member

Got most of the white off the back of the tank, there’s a tad bit left, which I’ll probably just leave. I gave it a real good rinse in the tub with the spray nozzle, and it came out a lot better than I was expecting. I’ll let her dry over night, and get it on the new stand tomorrow!

Unread 01/17/2018, 09:45 PM   #5
BattleAthletics
Registered Member

Nice going on the tank, thats a cool aquascape to mimic.

BattleAthletics is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2018, 06:30 PM   #6
wrxreefer823
Registered Member

The stand finally came in! There was a slight delay due to the winter “storm” we had down here, but things are finally starting to take shape. I plan on giving the live rock a good rinse this weekend, and hopefully she’ll be wet by Monday. Stay tuned!

Unread 01/22/2018, 09:00 PM   #7
wrxreefer823
Registered Member

Well, she's finally wet! I didn't really do a whole lot with the tank over the weekend, but I was off today so I figured I'd get as much done as I can for the time being. I stuck all my pumps and skimmer in a 1:1 vinegar and water bath, then I took the rock over to the self serve car wash and gave it a good rinse. A few of the pieces had some kind of gray rubbery sponge on it that smelled like low tide at the pier...lol

After that on the way home I stopped at my LFS for a few more chunks of rock, as what I had was only going to really be good enough for one pillar. There's a few pieces of dry branch rock I have, but I'm REALLY not a fan of the branch look. Also, with the tank only being a 20x20 foot print, there's really no good spot for it. I picked up another 17 pounds, and my first two jugs of saltwater, and I was on my way. A few trips back and forth to the store, and the tank was finally filled. Since they don't make my tank anymore, I had to improvise something to use as a filter pad. They carry a 12"x12" floss pad that I purchased for $1.99 and cut it into 9 squares, stuck a piece of rock rubble half way down the overflow/filter chamber, and the square sits very nicely on top now!

I decided to ditch the MH altogether, the bulb is just about at the end of its life, and I don't really need light while the tank is cycling. This weekend I'll pick up a heater, I found a nice titanium heater with external controller that'll fit right into the back of the tank with room to spare. I'll also probably order my Smart ATO made by AutoAqua as well, then in a few more weeks order the Prime HD for lighting. I'm pretty set on that, but wanted to get some opinions and see if anyone can convince me on the Radion XR15. Other than that, the tank is complete. Now just the fun part of waiting... and waiting... and waiting some more until the cycle is complete.

Lastly, pictures!

The left column is more or less what I already had, the right is what I picked up today.

A couple side views. It's kind of hard to make it out with the glare from the windows.

After dumping the sand in I had WAY too much, so the LFS gave me credit for a bag I didn't need.

First two jugs in!

And there she sits, waiting for the water to clear up. It’s probably about half way there as I type this. I'm hoping to wake up to a clear tank tomorrow morning. And yes, that's Finding Dory on tv. I was in a very fishy mood today. lol

Happy Reefing!

Last edited by wrxreefer823; 01/22/2018 at 09:08 PM.
Unread 01/23/2018, 07:51 AM   #8
choss
Registered Member

Looking good. My first tank back into the hobby was (and is) a 40 gallon AIO tank and I had called my thread "the less is more" build. Now I'm working on the more is more build (lol). I like where you are heading with this. I have found that I can remove almost any gunk with a vinegar soak (days) and then a razor blade.

I love the tank that you showed for inspiration. In a small tank its critical to get the amount of rock right -not too much but enough for proper filtration. One thing you could look into if you decide to go with less rock is siporax. You can get it in 1 L boxes from Amazon. Depending on how much is going in the back sections, you can probably fit a liter in there somewhere.

Keep up the good work and stay patient

Reef Savvy 96 Gallon Rimless Tank - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2643140

Current Tank Info: Reef Savvy 96
choss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2018, 10:01 AM   #9
wrxreefer823
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choss View Post
Looking good. My first tank back into the hobby was (and is) a 40 gallon AIO tank and I had called my thread "the less is more" build. Now I'm working on the more is more build (lol). I like where you are heading with this. I have found that I can remove almost any gunk with a vinegar soak (days) and then a razor blade.

I love the tank that you showed for inspiration. In a small tank its critical to get the amount of rock right -not too much but enough for proper filtration. One thing you could look into if you decide to go with less rock is siporax. You can get it in 1 L boxes from Amazon. Depending on how much is going in the back sections, you can probably fit a liter in there somewhere.

Keep up the good work and stay patient

Thank you sir! I’m pretty sure I read your build thread on that nano, I’ll have to look it up again later! All of my equipment came up spotless after a 3-4 hour bath yesterday. I let the tank soak for a while as well, but it just didn’t cut it. The plastic part that divides the tank from the chambers is textured, so it’s hard to really get it clean. I had one of these Solana’s in the past and it was the same exact issue.

I’d say I have about 30 pounds in there. The pillar on the right is 17 pounds and on the left is probably 12-15. I have a TON of rubble that I threw in the overflow chamber under the skimmer as well as the next chamber in the middle. I left the right chamber open for then return pump and eventually the ATO sensor. I plan on also putting a sack of Chemipure in the middle chamber. I’ve had GREAT luck with it in the past. If you want crystal clear water, use it! Lol

Unread 01/26/2018, 08:34 PM   #10
wrxreefer823
Registered Member

The tank has finally cleared up! I gave the glass a good scrub with the mag float last night to get some remaining “dust” off, and she’s crystal clear now. Today I ordered the Smart ATO by AutoAqua, I’ve had my eye on that for a while, even when I didn’t have an aquarium. I’ve heard good things about it, so I’ve got high hopes! I also decided on a different heater and ordered a titanium heater with external temp probe and digital controller. It’s a lot more compact and seems like it’ll be better than a traditional glass or ceramic heater. I opted for the 100W model, it’s rated for up to 100 gallons. I figure with rock and sand displacement, I’m working with roughly 25-27 gallons of water.

Lastly, here’s a crummy cell phone shot before bed!

Unread 01/28/2018, 01:44 PM   #11
wrxreefer823
Registered Member

My gadgets came today!!! I love Amazon two day shipping. Lol

Installation of both only took a few minutes. I like that the temperature controller for the heater has a remote probe, so I stuck the probe in the middle section of the three back chambers, and the heater in the return. The hose that came with the ATO is the perfect length to where I can have my five gallon reservoir in the cabinet and it pumps up to the return section. I also kicked the skimmer on finally. I figured if the tank is going to be up to temperature, I might as well start pulling out any gunk that’s in there. Surprisingly, it’s already pulling out a decent dry skim.

Heater controller

Mounting bracket for ATO hose

Dry side of ATO sensor/controller. It’s about the size of a golf ball

Eshopps Nano Skimmer. Wasn’t cheap but it’s well worth it. I had it on my last 34G, and knew I’d probably need it again some day!

Unread 01/29/2018, 06:44 PM   #12
wrxreefer823
Registered Member

So I caved and ordered my light today. I stuck to the original plan and just went with a AI Prime HD. It’ll be good for a start, and eventually I’ll probably add a second Prime to fill out the coverage and still be under the cost of a XR15 w/ mounting bracket. It was a tough decision, I thought of maybe a Hydra 26 or even full sized Radion used, but I think with two Primes, I can space them and angle them for good coverage and the LED pucks won’t be too close together (the one thing I don’t like about the Hydra 26). It should be here on Thursday!!!!

Unread 01/29/2018, 08:03 PM   #13
Saltwatersource
Registered Member

Go for two pillars!

Saltwatersource is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2018, 08:50 PM   #14
wrxreefer823
Registered Member

So I was looking at my rock tonight with a flash light and noticed what I think is an Aptasia. It’s under the shadows and the tank is currently getting no light. This is my first experience with aptasia. Any advise short of taking the rock out? It’s a large piece of my left pillar and I’d rather not mess with the cycle.

Here’s a picture. It’s in the dead center.

Unread 01/31/2018, 09:07 PM   #15
ER95
Just keep swimming

Yeah that’s Aiptasia for sure. Not too familiar with the removal of them. Maybe try cutting it off the rock? Or suction with a turkey baster maybe?

Current Tank Info: 40 Gallon Breeder
ER95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2018, 07:47 PM   #16
wrxreefer823
Registered Member

So I went and picked up some Aiptasia X from my LFS and went to town. I found few more on the rocks, hopefully I can keep it under control. My light also came in, but the supplier shorted the LFS the mounting bracket so they gave me store credit and I just Amazon Primed a bracket. I should have it Saturday. In the mean time I guess I’ll just make my wife hold it above the tank so I can enjoy it!

Unread 02/03/2018, 09:37 PM   #17
wrxreefer823
Registered Member

Well my tank mount finally came in today, so I spent the afternoon messing with the Prime and getting it programmed. There’s next to no documentation that comes with it, and their site isn’t much help either so I had to turn to forums and just figuring out things on my own. I’m pleased with the light results, however I’m a bit salty (heh, salty) that I didn’t wait for a Radion. I think EcoTech makes a much more user friendly and overall superior product, BUT you can’t beat the price of a Prime HD and mount for about half the cost of a XR15. For a cube, I think the Prime HD (perhaps eventually two Primes) is a good fit, but on a larger build I think I’ll stick to a Radions. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t dislike the Prime by any means. I think I just like the Radion more... lol

Anyways, on to a few pictures!

I had the bracket assembled and every thing mounted on the tank in a matter of minutes. The bracket, fully extended, puts the puck on the Prime dead center on the display area of the tank. I couldn’t ask for a better fit right out of the box!

Here’s the light at the peak of its schedule. Due to the iPhone’s camera liking blue so much, it looks a lot more blue than it really is.

And here we are with the “lunar” lights on. It’s just set to have 2% of both royal blue and blue ramp down for an hour. Funny, in this picture it’s a lot brighter and less blue than it is in person. Oh well.

I’m curious, any other Prime HD owners willing to chime in? I’d like to see what y’all are doing as far as your light schedule goes and what intensities everything is at. I have mine set to 80% on UV, V, RB, and B, 10% G, 15% R, and 45% CW. I have my white set higher because I’m really not a fan of the blue box of water look. For scheduling, I have it as a sunrise at 10 AM with two hour ramp up until noon, then sunset at 7 with two hour ramp down until 9, followed by an hour moon cycle.

Thanks for any input and, as always, happy reefing!

Unread 02/05/2018, 04:31 PM   #18
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

Looking good. Dont run the light while cycling the tank though or you will have some magor algae issues to deal with.

Tank history 29g tropical ,55g cichlid tank, 20H softy reef, 29g mixed reef, 20H brackish goby & puffer tank, 55g mixed reef, 6g Nanocube softy lps reef, 40B sps reef, 75g sps reef, 75g sps reef in bu

Current Tank Info: 75g sps reef build in the works.
DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2018, 08:53 AM   #19
jehudson1611
Registered Member

Where are you located in Raleigh? I live outside of Greensboro, but I work in Garner. I've been out of the hobby for a long time, but it's always nice to check back in and see what advancements have been made.

jehudson1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2018, 09:00 AM   #20
wrxreefer823
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehudson1611 View Post
Where are you located in Raleigh? I live outside of Greensboro, but I work in Garner. I've been out of the hobby for a long time, but it's always nice to check back in and see what advancements have been made.

I’m up in north Raleigh, right off of Capital and 540. I’ve been in and out of the hobby for about 10 years now, we recently moved down here in 2015. It’s always nice to meet local reefers!

Unread 02/06/2018, 02:25 PM   #21
Smoke Inator
Registered Member

Hey Mike, welcome back...I’m crazy slammed at work so not very active here but I’m about 15 min from you in wake forest...look up the Reef Farm, it’s 5 min from me just off 98 north of six forks....grace is awesome and you need to just drop in and see what’s growing...I’ve gotten several things from her...hours are limited but I think sat afternoon is one day they are open

Smoke Inator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2018, 02:37 PM   #22
wrxreefer823
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Inator View Post
Hey Mike, welcome back...I’m crazy slammed at work so not very active here but I’m about 15 min from you in wake forest...look up the Reef Farm, it’s 5 min from me just off 98 north of six forks....grace is awesome and you need to just drop in and see what’s growing...I’ve gotten several things from her...hours are limited but I think sat afternoon is one day they are open

Thanks! I’ll definitely have to check that out. I was gonna say I’m off Friday but they aren’t open then, I’ll check them out on Saturday if I get a chance. I recently went to check out Fintastic out in Cary, they’re small but have a decent selection of fish and coral at a good price. The Fish Room is a five-ten minute walk from me, so I’ll usually swing by there and see if there’s anything good there. I worked there for a bit so I know the guys pretty well.

Last edited by wrxreefer823; 02/09/2018 at 07:40 AM.
Unread 02/09/2018, 11:04 PM   #23
wrxreefer823
Registered Member

More toys! Lol... I found a site that makes after market parts out of acrylic for all in one tanks, InTank, and they had a media basket that’s an exact fit for the middle chamber in my tank. I also ordered a foam filter holder for the over flow, it doubles as an overflow silencer and a holder so the filter pad doesn’t slide all the way down into the overflow chamber. For the three stage media basket, I opted for a floss pad (fine, medium and coarse I one), followed by rock rubble and lastly a sack of Chemipure Elite. Like I said, the media basket is an exact fit, so I expect some great results as far as filtration is concerned. The site also carries a magnetic 5000K LED refugium light that I could use to light the rock rubble in the middle chamber, but I’m not sure I want to do that yet.

I wasn’t planning on getting the Vortech just yet, but just for sh!ts and giggles, I called a local store and they happened to have a MP10QD in stock, and of course I headed right out there to pick it up. This is the second Vortech I’ve owned, and EcoTech makes a fine product. Currently it’s just set at a constant speed, but I’ll mess with it tomorrow to get a nice wave pattern going.

The tanks been up for almost two and a half weeks now, and I’m seeing a decent diatom bloom now, so I added three blue legged and three red legged hermits. They made pretty quick work of the rocks. What once was brown is now a nice white again! That’ll be the only live stock I add for a few weeks I think. I want to add a couple of clowns, but we’re expecting our baby any day now, and I don’t want to throw too much in the mix in anticipation of that!

Lastly here’s a few pictures

It’s kind of tough to tell there, but that’s the top of the middle chamber with the floss pad installed into the top of the media basket. The tanks a bit cloudy from messing with things and adding the Chemipure sack, but it should be clear by the morning.

Happy reefing!

Unread 02/10/2018, 08:15 PM   #24
wrxreefer823
Registered Member

So I checked on the tank this morning when the lights came on and noticed that the whole wet side assembly of the vortech was slowly spinning on the glass. I put the rubber spacer on and it had the same result. I took it out of the tank and cleaned the glass under it, it stopped for bit but it’s back to doing it again. I noticed the impeller has a good amount of play, about 1/8th to 1/4th inch, and the dry side seems pretty hot to the touch during the wave mode. It cools down a bit if it’s just set at a constant speed. I put in a request to Ecotech’s support, so hopefully they have a solution!

Unread 02/11/2018, 07:51 AM   #25
zachfishman
Registered Member

I also got back in with a used Solana. A nice tank, I recommend getting a BRS screen top kit. I lost several fish (even sticking to species that supposedly weren’t jumpy) before caving. The top sits nice and flush (with the plastic holder tabs) and doesn’t detract from the look at all IMO.

Tampa Bay Reef Club BOD 2018

Current Tank Info: 34g modded Solana
zachfishman is offline   Reply With Quote