Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/15/2018, 05:31 AM   #1
The Reef Addict
Registered Member

Big tank on 2nd floor

Hey guys, Im looking to put a 180-220 on the 2nd floor above a finished basement. I just wanted some opinions on whether or not the flooring would need to be beefed up or not. I have not seen inside the garage, but Im going to assume its super solid given todays strict standards with Code/Laws, and that the house is only 3 years old. What you all think?

The Reef Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2018, 05:47 AM   #2
Blue Tang Clan
Registered Member

Just to clarify -- is the garage above the finished basement? Garages usually have a concrete floor.

Is it 2nd floor > Garage > Basement or is it 2nd floor > Garage/Basement?

Assuming the 2nd floor is on wooden floor joists - most likely some reinforcement would be needed, depending on which way the joists are running. You would want the length of the tank to span multiple joists underneath, or be near/on a load-bearing wall. That is a LOT of weight in a small area, which building codes aren't specifically designed to achieve.

Blue Tang Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2018, 07:12 AM   #3
The Reef Addict
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tang Clan View Post
Just to clarify -- is the garage above the finished basement? Garages usually have a concrete floor.
Sorry for the confusing post!

There is no basment. (I have no idea what I was thinking, foundation?) It is an apartment above a finished 2 car garage. The whole thing is new construction, and like I said I havent seen the garage yet.. If it has a support beam in the middle of the garage (floor to ceiling) I would definitely feel better about it.

Unread 01/15/2018, 03:36 PM   #4
626rEEfz
Registered Member

I agree with the previous post. Most building codes do not address constant weight in such as small footprint. Codes are to address general living conditions and having a fish tank doesn't fall into the category. Maybe you can talk to the structural engineer for the project since you mentioned this is new construction.

626rEEfz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2018, 07:08 PM   #5
The Reef Addict
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies! I wasnt sure what most people do for bigger tanks. I assume things get flaky around 150g or so. Currently I only have a 75g