Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/26/2015, 08:01 AM   #1
piper2013
Registered Member

Miracles Custom Tanks - Recent Experience?

Hey all - will be getting into 250-300g setup. Searching this site on Miracles reviews has mostly older remarks. Anyone have recent custom build from them? 2014/2015? Any recommendation for other custom builders as well? Big investment as you all know- want to get it "as right" as I can going in.....

Thanks!

Unread 06/27/2015, 10:12 AM   #2
Spaced Cowboy
South Bay Reefer

No-one seems to be replying to you, so I'll point you to my build. Generally I've had an excellent experience with Derek/Miracles. There were a couple of wrinkles along the way...
  • The overflow was installed differently to how I'd designed it, and that caused an issue with the BeanAnimal return. Not a huge problem, but Derek agreed to remove the overflow and install a new one as per design once I pointed it out to him.
  • Their stand manufacturer didn't install movable supports so I wouldn't be able to get the sump in/out after installation. I noticed this the same day it was due to ship from the photo, and they quickly solved it. I have to get a small piece of metal powder-coated at this end because of the lack of time, but they'll pay for it.
Apart from those issues (which they resolved, to be fair, and bearing in mind that I haven't seen the tank yet, its in a local storage depot waiting for my french doors to be removed), the photos of the tank look good, they even did a water-test to be sure the tank was ok before it left, and they were responsive to requests etc.

I'd deal with them again, and considering I've just spent a lot of money on the tank, that's probably the best recommendation I can give.

Simon.

Spaced Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2015, 11:44 AM   #3
gordonheimer
Registered Member

Im working with Derek now on a tank/stand/sump/ato and so far it has been great. Incredibly easy to work with and answered all my millions of questions. He is very friendly, give him a call! My setup should be here in a few weeks.

gordonheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2015, 12:16 PM   #4
piper2013
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaced Cowboy View Post
No-one seems to be replying to you, so I'll point you to my build. Generally I've had an excellent experience with Derek/Miracles. There were a couple of wrinkles along the way...
  • The overflow was installed differently to how I'd designed it, and that caused an issue with the BeanAnimal return. Not a huge problem, but Derek agreed to remove the overflow and install a new one as per design once I pointed it out to him.
  • Their stand manufacturer didn't install movable supports so I wouldn't be able to get the sump in/out after installation. I noticed this the same day it was due to ship from the photo, and they quickly solved it. I have to get a small piece of metal powder-coated at this end because of the lack of time, but they'll pay for it.
Apart from those issues (which they resolved, to be fair, and bearing in mind that I haven't seen the tank yet, its in a local storage depot waiting for my french doors to be removed), the photos of the tank look good, they even did a water-test to be sure the tank was ok before it left, and they were responsive to requests etc.

I'd deal with them again, and considering I've just spent a lot of money on the tank, that's probably the best recommendation I can give.

Simon.
Simon - thanks very much. I reviewed your build thread thread - looks great! I have some specific questions if you don't mind a PM.
Craig

Unread 06/27/2015, 12:17 PM   #5
piper2013
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonheimer View Post
Im working with Derek now on a tank/stand/sump/ato and so far it has been great. Incredibly easy to work with and answered all my millions of questions. He is very friendly, give him a call! My setup should be here in a few weeks.
Thanks! We have exchanged a couple emails and I agree - responsive. Are you gong to do a build thread?
Craig

Unread 06/27/2015, 12:55 PM   #6
marty9876
Registered Member

I got a 450 about 20 months ago. Biggest thing is you need to make sure to 1. Have specs and 2. They build to specs. I said but the holes where they should go & the overflow in relationship to the holes, figured they should know this best. That was a mess which delayed things a bunch and ended with a guy having to fly out and fix things. Over all I'm fine with how things ended up, could have been better and can always be a whole lot worse. Compared to the others in this market, quality and price, I'd likely by from them again.

marty9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2015, 01:26 PM   #7
Spaced Cowboy
South Bay Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper2013 View Post
Simon - thanks very much. I reviewed your build thread thread - looks great! I have some specific questions if you don't mind a PM.
Craig
Sure, feel free

Simon

Spaced Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2015, 09:20 PM   #8
Finland
Registered Member

I purchased a 280 in aug. of 2014 from Miracles. I am very happy with the tank, but the communication with them could have used some improvement. Several un-answered emails with questions on the design/blueprints of the tank. I called a few times and left voice mail messages with out getting called back. I finally got through with a phone call and requested the blueprints, to verify tank was being built to my specs. Several weeks later, I finally received the blueprint of the tank one day before it was supposed to be shipped. The holes drilled in the euro bracing were drilled in the wrong location. This problem could have been avoided with better communication. They corrected the problem and in the end, I am very happy with the tank.

Current Tank Info: 280 reef
Finland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2015, 10:22 AM   #9
gordonheimer
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks! We have exchanged a couple emails and I agree - responsive. Are you gong to do a build thread?
Craig

Yep!, right here. http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2509194

Unread 06/29/2015, 10:38 AM   #10
northernreefe
Registered Member

I purchased my 300 in 2013, and a separate 65 in early 2014. Both experiences went off without a hitch. I found Derek very easy to work with, and this paid off in the end with a very satisfied repeat customer.

northernreefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2015, 11:08 AM   #11
this is me
Registered Member

I just ordered a 360gallons from them last week. So far, communication is quick and everything is smooth. Hopefully I'll get the tank in 8 weeks or so.

When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $4.95 per minute.

Current Tank Info: Miracle 360 gallons
this is me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2015, 11:17 AM   #12
piper2013
Registered Member

marty9876 - specs for sure thanks!
Finland - Thank you!
gordonheimer - thanks - will check the thread - always something to learn
northernreefe - Thank you!
this is me
- great! Thanks!

Unread 06/29/2015, 01:35 PM   #13
piper2013
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by this is me View Post
I just ordered a 360gallons from them last week. So far, communication is quick and everything is smooth. Hopefully I'll get the tank in 8 weeks or so.
I would be interested in your build if you are doing a thread. Particularly your choice of overflow, expected turns, and pump choice. Thanks!
Craig

Unread 06/30/2015, 02:12 PM   #14
this is me
Registered Member

Quote:
I would be interested in your build if you are doing a thread. Particularly your choice of overflow, expected turns, and pump choice. Thanks!
Craig
I plan on starting the thread as soon as Miracles send me some pictures. Don't want to start a build thread without any pictures.
Derek called again today to ask about the stand if I'm going to have the sump down there or not so that he can beef up the stand a little more. I like the communication so far. Hopefully, the tank build progress pictures are coming soon.

When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $4.95 per minute.

Unread 06/30/2015, 02:20 PM   #15
piper2013
Registered Member

Quote:
I plan on starting the thread as soon as Miracles send me some pictures. Don't want to start a build thread without any pictures.
Derek called again today to ask about the stand if I'm going to have the sump down there or not so that he can beef up the stand a little more. I like the communication so far. Hopefully, the tank build progress pictures are coming soon.
Thanks - my emails with him are OK - not as clear as I would like so I will probably have to call him. Did you get a clear spec list/details from him or was it kind of casual? I have heard to be very clear on the expectations. Also how are you handling the shipping - that is - to your house or pickup at a depot?

Unread 06/30/2015, 02:53 PM   #16
this is me
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks - my emails with him are OK - not as clear as I would like so I will probably have to call him. Did you get a clear spec list/details from him or was it kind of casual? I have heard to be very clear on the expectations. Also how are you handling the shipping - that is - to your house or pickup at a depot?
I thought the specs of the tank is pretty clear. He sent me drawing of the tank, overflow, and tank stand before I even said anything about buying it from him. He sent me an invoice with the specs of the tank on it. Once I agreed, he sent a paypal request for deposit(50%) so the production can start.
For my location, the difference in picking it up at a depot(40miles from me) is $135. It's a no brainer for me to get it delivered to my address. My only concern now is that there's no gauranteed that the pallets will be pushed into my garage. The driver is only responsible for curbside delivery. But my driveway is relatively flat and all my big deliveries so far were pushed into the garage by the driver. I just have to make sure I stay home for the delivery and come out to greet the driver.

Unread 06/30/2015, 02:57 PM   #17
piper2013
Registered Member

Quote:
I thought the specs of the tank is pretty clear. He sent me drawing of the tank, overflow, and tank stand before I even said anything about buying it from him. He sent me an invoice with the specs of the tank on it. Once I agreed, he sent a paypal request for deposit(50%) so the production can start.
For my location, the difference in picking it up at a depot(40miles from me) is $135. It's a no brainer for me to get it delivered to my address. My only concern now is that there's no gauranteed that the pallets will be pushed into my garage. The driver is only responsible for curbside delivery. But my driveway is relatively flat and all my big deliveries so far were pushed into the garage by the driver. I just have to make sure I stay home for the delivery and come out to greet the driver.
Thanks - yes I agree on the curbside question. I have no ability to get it off the lift gate or up my driveway. Flat - but moderately long. Appreciate the ongoing help/discussion.
Craig

Unread 06/30/2015, 03:08 PM   #18
gordonheimer
Registered Member

Quote:
I would encourage you to call him. He is incredibly easy to work with over the phone and very patient. Much easier than sending many emails back and forth. I have called him atleast once a week since ordering. He stays pretty busy so sometimes you gotta leave a message but he always calls back.

Unread 06/30/2015, 03:15 PM   #19
piper2013
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonheimer View Post
I would encourage you to call him. He is incredibly easy to work with over the phone and very patient. Much easier than sending many emails back and forth. I have called him atleast once a week since ordering. He stays pretty busy so sometimes you gotta leave a message but he always calls back.
Perfect - thank you.

Unread 07/01/2015, 08:27 PM   #20
Reel North
New King of Quarantine

I was going to order a 220 from him. All was great for a while till I couldn't decide on 84" or 72" length. We had spoken 6 or seven times. I had called to actually order a 72" tank and he got really short and told he was really busy and had to go. 5 minutes later I got an email asking me "what could he possibly a help me with at this stage....."

I have a couple of buddies that had tank leak in a month or 2 and another guy had the eurobrace crack and then the front pane let go. The guy that he had come in to repair it said the seam was garbage.

Miracles is only about 50 miles from me. I ordered a 72x30 wide x 24 tall eurobraced, starphire front and external bean animal from concept aquariums from Calgary. The tank is beautiful and made exactly how I wanted with no issues and no BS.

Current Tank Info: frag tank. Lame
Reel North is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2017, 06:24 AM   #21
cesarjimen
Registered Member

Any other recent experiences? Most sound positive...

Current Tank Info: 300 gal reef tank
cesarjimen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2017, 06:56 PM   #22
eranaubs
Registered Member

Had one several years ago. Immaculate tank

eranaubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2017, 09:14 PM   #23
nightOwl
Premium Member

Quote:
Hey all - will be getting into 250-300g setup. Searching this site on Miracles reviews has mostly older remarks. Anyone have recent custom build from them? 2014/2015? Any recommendation for other custom builders as well? Big investment as you all know- want to get it "as right" as I can going in.....

Thanks!
They are building my current tank now. 82" x 40" x 26". My experience so far has been excellent with Derek over there. Communication has been great. He has been really responsive to my calls and emails. I had an initial design when I first contacted them and he helped me tweak to the final design. Give them a call so far I would recommend them. I contacted a few builders and they were one of the best as far as communication. I am doing a build tread as well so you can follow along to see my experience if you like.

Unread 03/17/2017, 06:31 PM   #24
jamie1981
Registered Member

Had a 350 gallon built in 2011 by them with no problems. Just ordered a new build this week on a 500 gallon 130" x 30" x 30" we'll see how this one goes. Overall I've been happy with them.

jamie1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2017, 01:23 AM   #25
cesarjimen
Registered Member

Thanks! Just ordered a 96x36x30 from Miracles yesterday. My experience has been very positive so far. Looking forward to the upgrade project

Current Tank Info: 300 gal reef tank
cesarjimen is offline   Reply With Quote