Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/20/2007, 03:35 AM   #1
Scissorhand
Registered Member

Alkalinity, Calcium, and Magnesium Level for Tropic Marin Pro

I just bought a bucket of TMP and tested them for Alkalinity, Calcium, and Magnesium with Elos test kits.

Here are the results.

Salinity: 1.025-1.026

Alkalinity = 6 - 7 ( )
Calcium = 350 - 375 ( )
Magnesium = 1200 - 1300 ( )

Is this consistent with TMP's numbers, guys? Or should I retest?

I guess the low alkalinity and calcium is to account for the calcium reactor?

Still, I would prefer the levels to be a bit higher. Maybe I'll try Seachem next. Pls chime in if you have different numbers.

thanks.

Scissorhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2007, 05:47 AM   #2
Jeff
Registered Member

Hello from Chicago
I am in the middle of using up 2 buckets of Reef Crystals. i went thru a few buckets of Tropic Marin Pro before these 2 buckets of Reef Crystals and found my results to be different. I tested fresh mixed saltwater with the Tropic Marin to have Calcium levels around 410 and alk levels around 8 dkh. Mag was around 1300. This was consistant with at least 5 buckets. Perhaps you have a batch of salt made wron or your test kits are not accurate. I used Salifert but I may have been off.
The Pro salt from Tropic Marin does not account for a calcium reactor but instead has increased calcium and alk levels according to them.

Jeff

IWNFT343F

Current Tank Info: Innovative Marine 20
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2007, 10:52 AM   #3
gcarroll
Registered Member

Did you mix the entire bucket at once? If not that is probably the reason for the difference in parameters compared the Tropic Marin's claims. During transport the heavier elements settle to the bottom of the container and the lighter ones are on top. Mixing the entire container at once is the only way to insure that you get a proper mixture.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Current Tank Info: building: 250g AGE Euro tank, Abyzz A200, Vertex Supra-G filtration, Ecotech Radion Pro LEDs, ...
gcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2007, 12:21 PM   #4
ezcompany
Registered Member

i find that hard to believe. your saying then the heavier elements have somehow separated from their chemical bonds with the salt?

Current Tank Info: IM40
ezcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2007, 01:45 PM   #5
dpstrand
Registered Member

Yeah that would be a major pain. For my tiny tank I only need to mix ~5 gallons at a time, I don't want to have to store 50 gallons in the garage!

I guess I'm guilty of not checking most parameters on fresh mixed water besides salinity, ph, and temperature; so I wouldn't know if this is true or not.

dpstrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2007, 01:54 PM   #6
Unarce
Unshackled

I always shake my buckets of TMPro for this very reason. It also helps to improve my upper body strength. You should see me on the courts. I rebound like a monster

Seriously, though. I have been told by numerous sources that the elements do separate during shipping. So, it's a good idea to do this with all your salt

Current Tank Info: starting to get that itch again
Unarce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2007, 02:06 PM   #7
ezcompany
Registered Member

Karl, i missed you at RAP!
anyways, i would still like to know how elements are able to separate from its compound by simply being "heavy".

Current Tank Info: IM40
ezcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2007, 02:33 PM   #8
Jimbo327
Registered Member

Not sure. But I'm going to shake my next bag of Reef Crystals before I use it. Better safe than sorry.

I still have half a bag of IO salt, I'm thinking of just dumping it, and switching to Reef Crystals for the higher calcium. I have literally no coralline algae growth.

Current Tank Info: 6gal JBJ NanoCube, DIY LED Mod, 1/15 JBJ Chiller, Tunze Osmolator, Homemade Kalkwasser Chamber
Jimbo327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2007, 04:17 PM   #9
Reefers4U
Registered Member

here is a little article from WWM

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume.../Salt/salt.htm

The author seems to suggest that chemical seperation during shipping is something he conciders during testing- and not just in salt mixtures

Current Tank Info: 120 Visio // Radions // Eschopps Skimmer // MP40 x2 // Tunze ATO // BRS Dosing Pumps and Dual Reactor // Apex Gold //
Reefers4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2007, 06:21 PM   #10
Scissorhand
Registered Member

Thanks guys for all your input. Yinger did warn me before about mixing up the salt. As for a scientific explanation to why heavier elements and atoms separate from their compound and gravitate southward toward the nethermost side of the container... I'll take your word for it. Heh heh.

Unread 08/20/2007, 07:21 PM   #11
bromion
Registered Member

It's not that the elements are separating, but rather the differing grains in the salt. Each grain may not be identical depending on how the salt is produced. That could cause some separation effects. But no chemical bonds are being broken : )

I, for one, don't worry about this.

bromion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2007, 08:23 PM   #12
nava405
Registered Member

did you flip those salt and swril abit b4 you use it ?

i mix it to 1.025 and so far out of 2 200gal buckets, i got

ca. 400-420
kh.8.0-8.2
mg. 1250-1300

not too satisfy with it, especially with the price, but so far everything works fine, and i guess it'll work better after i hook up my ca reactor and kalk reactor.

Current Tank Info: rimelss 48x30x20, sump 72x22x16, 2x mp40s, nano wavebox
nava405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2007, 08:46 PM   #13
Scissorhand
Registered Member

okay no. I didn't swirl it. I guess I'll do that next time.

some people complained of algae bloom after using TMP, anyone had this happened to them?