Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/21/2010, 10:01 PM   #1
ExFOWLR
Registered Member

Has anyone actually seen the new Tek Elite fixtures

I will soon be upgrading my lighting to a 6x54w. fixture in the very near future and have seen the product descriptions for the Tek elite series but can't find any info from folks who have actually puchased one. hopefully someone here on RC can fill in the blanks. I have heard speculation and rumors and are not sure they have even been released yet but perhaps some of the vendors have seen one and even compared to other fixtures. I am looking at the ATI SP but would be happy to save $$$ to get somthing reasonably close if the T E fits the bill. MY questions are how do the reflectors compare to the ATI? Are thet using crappy ballasts like the rumors say? How does PAR/PUR compare to ATI? Any other info someone may have on these lights? Thanks in advance
John P

ExFOWLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2010, 10:07 PM   #2
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

There is pretty much zero info on them. Only speculation so far. I don't think it will keep up with an ATI Sunpower but that is just a guess. Yes they are using Workhorse ballasts and they aren't the greatest for T5 bulbs.

That is all I know about them.

Click on my user name and check out my homepage!

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
rtparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2010, 10:25 PM   #3
mordibv
Registered Member

Just my 2 cents
My LFS has personally tried to get them . The company that makes them keeps saying "we don't have it in yet ". So he ordered Sunpowers . I would think the reflectors are decent . The ballast are not like the ATI . It does have two fans per 3 bulbs ?(PM 2 per bulb ) The ATI fixture pushes the air down into the fixture across ballast and across the reflectors and out of a side vent . There is no information on how the elite vents .

Current Tank Info: No tank ATM
mordibv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2010, 10:30 PM   #4
Johnny C
Registered Member

I started an identical thread about a week ago and got 0 feedback. I did however speak with a local LFS owner who played with them and he said they are very nice, similar to the Gen 1 Teks but in a dark silver color and with the added fans.

I'm in the same boat you are, I can get a Tek Elite for 1/3 the price of an ATI. Time will tell I guess...

Unread 02/21/2010, 11:48 PM   #5
jhoff
Registered Member

Iam currently on the pre-order list for the 36" 6 bulb Elite hope it's worth the wait.Sounds like it's going to be a great fixture for the $$$...I know patients is key in this hobby but come on now...

jhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2010, 07:42 PM   #6
ExFOWLR
Registered Member

Thanks for the info, or what there is of it out there. Is that concrete about the ballasts they will be using and whats wrong with them? I saw somewhere that a workhorse 7 is for T5 HO lamps, which one does the Elite have? Also does anyone know how many fans the Sunpower 6x48" has? I also surprised that as many vendor's have the Elite advertised nobody has seen or knows anything about them. not good marketing on Sunlight supplies part even if there are some production glitches. I would at least get a few out there to show its capabilities.

Unread 02/22/2010, 08:16 PM   #7
luther1200
Premium Member

If they are having problems with them I think its very responsable of them not to release them yet. I'm not sure they are having problems or why they are not out yet, but I would say if they are not 100% it is a wise move not to release them. There reputation would probably go down the drain if in a month there was a hundred threads of people with Tek Elite fixture that have issue's.

Current Tank Info: 65g reef, mix of sps, lps, few softies. Hoping to upgrade within the year.
luther1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2010, 06:11 PM   #8
ExFOWLR
Registered Member

I was'nt suggesting thet they put the unit on the market for sale to the public. I was suggesting they make some available to some vendors, reefing club sponsors, publications etc.. I'm just thinking that if I can go online and "buy" one there would at least be more info out there.

Unread 02/23/2010, 06:18 PM   #9
luther1200
Premium Member

The funny thing is I went to ReefGeek just to see. And I got all the way to the end of the checkout were they ask for credit card info and tthe site still had not said anything about pre-order or not in stock. So maybe they do have them, and nobody has bought 1 yet.

Current Tank Info: 65g reef, mix of sps, lps, few softies. Hoping to upgrade within the year.
luther1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2010, 07:16 PM   #10
LS1 WS6
Registered Member

Reefgeek does not have them, nobody does. I called reefgeek to check and they verified they are not out yet. I think TEK is waiting on a supplier for the reflectors (I think). I just ended up buying the ATI, no WAITING!

LS1 WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote