Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/20/2005, 09:29 AM   #76
Crusty Old Shellback
MASVC OG

Steven,
I'd wait for about a week before getting water. Just to be sure that all of the runoff has cleared the coast. that's just me though.

jarhead,
Your right. I noticed a improvment in my tank after only a few waterchanges with NSW. I was using IO before and even tried oceanic as well. When I used those salt mixes w/ RO/DI water it would take a day or two for my corals to open back up and look "normal" again. After I switched to NSW, it now only takes a few hours, and I don't even match the temp as much as I should.

I also noticed that after a water change w/ NSW, my skimmer quits producing foam for about a day. Also my LPS corals seem to open up more as well as my other corals just look better. HMM, must be a good thing.

There are some old pic's in my gallery. I need to update them with some new ones now as the tank looks even more different than when those were taken.

Best quote ever!
"This is a hobby for God sakes and so many people get so uptite. A "hobby" so it should be fun and not a cause to worry or go broke." Paul B

Current Tank Info: Tankless for a while. RIP my 8+ yr old pair of Naso tangs, 4 + yr old Moorish Idol
Crusty Old Shellback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2005, 10:43 AM   #77
liusteven
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blown63chevy
Steven,
I'd wait for about a week before getting water. Just to be sure that all of the runoff has cleared the coast. that's just me though.

jarhead,
Your right. I noticed a improvment in my tank after only a few waterchanges with NSW. I was using IO before and even tried oceanic as well. When I used those salt mixes w/ RO/DI water it would take a day or two for my corals to open back up and look "normal" again. After I switched to NSW, it now only takes a few hours, and I don't even match the temp as much as I should.

I also noticed that after a water change w/ NSW, my skimmer quits producing foam for about a day. Also my LPS corals seem to open up more as well as my other corals just look better. HMM, must be a good thing.

There are some old pic's in my gallery. I need to update them with some new ones now as the tank looks even more different than when those were taken.

Thanks for the info!

liusteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2005, 09:51 AM   #78
Crusty Old Shellback
MASVC OG

Steven, did you go and get any water? If not, I'd wait a bit. I heard that we are having a red tide right now. Maybe give it a few weeks before you go and get anymore.

That goes for everyone that is getting water from UCSB.

Best quote ever!
"This is a hobby for God sakes and so many people get so uptite. A "hobby" so it should be fun and not a cause to worry or go broke." Paul B

Current Tank Info: Tankless for a while. RIP my 8+ yr old pair of Naso tangs, 4 + yr old Moorish Idol
Unread 10/24/2005, 10:25 AM   #79
Kinetic
Registered Member

what's red tide?

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2005, 10:32 AM   #80
Crusty Old Shellback
MASVC OG

It pretty much kills everything. It's a large bacterial bloom that turns the water red. It's all part of nature and happens a few times a year.

Best quote ever!

Unread 10/24/2005, 10:34 AM   #81
Kinetic
Registered Member

oh that's crazy. thanks for the info.

Unread 10/24/2005, 11:38 AM   #82
liusteven
Premium Member

Quote:
It pretty much kills everything. It's a large bacterial bloom that turns the water red. It's all part of nature and happens a few times a year.
No I am thinking of getting the water from Aquarium Center in Sherman Oaks.... its at 60 cents

Unread 10/24/2005, 11:49 AM   #83
Crusty Old Shellback
MASVC OG

OK. Just wanted to let you know about the red tide before you drove out there. It would have been a waste for you if you did.

Best quote ever!

Unread 10/24/2005, 09:03 PM   #84
JHReef
Registered Member

MMMMMMMMM....Red Tiiiiiide.
Thanks for the update Ray. I was just gettin ready to head over there myself.

Current Tank Info: 180 gal acrylic reef, dual rear corner overflows, 50 gal sump, TopFathom TF200 skim. NO flour. 80wt., VHO - 320 wt., MH 400wt x2. Zoas,shrooms, rics,LPS,SPS. 20 gal. reef running 3+ years, DIY sump/fuge, new 130wt PC w lunar LED
JHReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2005, 02:18 PM   #85
sbgreen
Registered Member

How did you find out about the red tide? A friend told me about it, just curious how i can know in the future.
I've used nothing but this water and my tank is flourishing.

sbgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2005, 02:42 PM   #86
tano53180
Registered Member

i want to know that also were can we get the info to know if we are having a red tied also why does it matter if it rains or we are having a red tied the water is filtrated so none of that should matter don't you guys thing and how can we find out for sure if it dos or doesnt matter

tano53180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2005, 03:09 PM   #87
Crusty Old Shellback
MASVC OG

I just happed to be out at SB pier on Friday for a field trip with my daughters school to the sea center. We had lunch on the pier and I was talking to the guy who runs the tackle shop there. he told me about it. I also work on the Port Hueneme base and have acess to the pier here at all times and can see/smell it when it rolls in.

As for you tano, the SB only filters out basic big stuff. The red tide and runoff from the land during a rain storm probably does not get filtered out. You can take a chance if you want but I'd rather be on the safe side and give it a week or two myself. Just don't want a red tide or farm crop runoff in my tank that I nourished for the last 7 years.

I'm not sure if there is a place that you can find out about red tide maybe teh NOAA website. Do some looking around and see if you can find something. here's a link.
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/lox/

Good luck to all.

Best quote ever!

Unread 10/26/2005, 04:36 PM   #88
tano53180
Registered Member

thank you blown63 i agree with you just wanted to know i guess because my tank isn't doing good at all right now i am new to the reef world but i have already feel under its spell and i want to do what ever i can to make sure i have a successful reef tank its my new passion you know so i am trying to find out as much as i can on the subjected with out breaking the band sine i am just a college student with on money to begin with heheh so thank you for your advice it is much appreciated

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon reef and 30 pretender tank
tano53180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2005, 04:58 PM   #89
Crusty Old Shellback
MASVC OG

That's why we're all here, to learn and help others.

Or at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Good luck with it. The key to remember is paitence. And lots of it.

You'll do fine.

Best quote ever!

Unread 10/28/2005, 01:24 PM   #90
Crusty Old Shellback
MASVC OG

RED TIDE

OK everyone, I did a little asking around to some of my co-workes who fish up arond SB and got us a little more info. First off, red tide is always there, it's an alage, it's just when the temps and everything is right that you get the big bloom that will kill off any filterfeeders, ie just about everything we keep in our tanks.

There is a kayak fishing board that we can check out as the local fishers will post on there and usually tell you if the red tide is bad or not. Go to http://www.kayakfishing.com/ and go to the west coast BB. You'll have to scroll down the page and start reading the post. I did find that one guy said red tide was everywhere on Tuesday when he was out.

HTH.

Best quote ever!

Unread 10/30/2005, 08:22 PM   #91
d0cdave
Premium Non-Reefer

Damn.. I was gonna head to UCSB on Tuesday for a fill-up. You mean I gotta pay for a water change?

Current Tank Info: Left reef hobby - enjoying my $10/mo power bills (solar!)
d0cdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2005, 01:21 PM   #92
29reef
It's all about the flow

As far as I know the NSW is only run through a sand filter, it has in no way been run through any mechanical filters. As stated before there is a red tide right now, they are somewhat predictable also. just dont get any water for the next 2-3 weeks and you will be fine.

RIP-The Metal Halide- My SPS may never know such a great friend again.

Current Tank Info: Currently Tankless
29reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2005, 02:13 PM   #93
Crusty Old Shellback
MASVC OG

OK, I went back a page and went to the UCSB link. Here's what they say about their system.

"Two seawater intake structures are located 2,500 feet offshore of campus beach at a depth of 51 feet. Two parallel 16" diameter polyethylene lines siphon seawater from the intake structures to the campus beach pumphouse wet well, (Bldg. 502). The wet well is a 30-foot deep 13-foot diameter concrete cylinder. From the pumphouse two vertical turbine pumps deliver the seawater to the Seawater Filter Facility, (bldg. 205). The Seawater Filter Facility houses the filters, storage tanks, and supply pumps. There are six gravity sand filters that filter particulates down to 20 microns. "

That's almost a half mile off shore.

If this is all true, then there should be no worries about redtide or runoff. Redtide sits on the upper part of the water near shore. I'd still not take my chances during a heavy rain but any other time should be OK. I don't like getting wet.

Best quote ever!

Unread 11/01/2005, 03:08 PM   #94
Kinetic
Registered Member

Quote:
I don't like getting wet.
haha, good reason =) But good work looking that up!!! Next time I drive down to SB i'll be picking up maybe 45 gallons.

Unread 11/01/2005, 11:52 PM   #95
billyzbear
Registered Member

The guy across the street from me helped in construction of well. He told me it was over a half mile out. I believe he said one and a half. I can ask him more details if you'd like.

billyzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2005, 10:16 AM   #96
Crusty Old Shellback
MASVC OG

Their site says 2500 feet, thats 800+ yards or a little less than half a natuical mile.

Best quote ever!

Unread 11/04/2005, 12:55 PM   #97
liusteven
Premium Member

OK guys... please let us know when someone has used the water recently!

Unread 11/04/2005, 01:47 PM   #98
d0cdave
Premium Non-Reefer

Ill be doing a water change tonight hopefully.. 50% for my nano. I picked up the water on Wednesday.

=)

Current Tank Info: Left reef hobby - enjoying my $10/mo power bills (solar!)
Unread 11/04/2005, 02:23 PM   #99
SBJim
Registered Member

Ok guinea pig, I mean d0cdave, let us know how the tank is doing after 24 hours or so!

SBJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2005, 10:11 PM   #100
d0cdave
Premium Non-Reefer

Talking

50% water change on the Nano (5 gallons) and 24 hours later. No floaters, and all of my corals look better than ever. Even my Xenia look bigger than they ever have. Whatever is in this batch of NSW they really like it .

Ill give a 48 hour report if I remember to. IMO the water is just fine.