Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/20/2019, 05:41 PM   #1426
reefmutt
Registered Member

That’s funny, it does sound like a tazer!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2019, 06:44 PM   #1427
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Here is another short video. Shortly before recording it, the silver belly wrasse jumped out of the tank while I was uploading the previous video. I was impressed with the distance of its jump.

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]
DiscusHeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2019, 08:31 PM   #1428
ChronicReefH2o
Registered Member

This is one amazing looking tank. I might have to reach out to you and spend a few more hundred to have you make an amazing tank for me. Loving the tank setup.

ChronicReefH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2019, 11:19 AM   #1429
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronicReefH2o View Post
This is one amazing looking tank. I might have to reach out to you and spend a few more hundred to have you make an amazing tank for me. Loving the tank setup.
Thanks for your compliment. I appreciate it.

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]
Unread 01/21/2019, 11:23 AM   #1430
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
That’s funny, it does sound like a tazer!
Despite a taser like sound the CBB made while trying to munch the aiptasia, I think in the end, I have a sneaky suspicion that the file fish had the last laugh. I can clearly see the file swallowing something right at the end of the video.

Unread 01/22/2019, 01:55 PM   #1431
AP7x
Registered Member

Just found this thread. It's all been said before but amazing tank.

If you don't mind, would you be able to provide your fish list as it is now? And if you had any difficulties you may have faced in your experience and how you handled it.

I think one of the biggest distinguishing traits of your tank is the fish load - which from what I've read, almost everyone would say "overstocked". But it's clearly working for you and while corals are beautiful, the fish really draw me to any reef tank and give it a spark of life.

Thanks!

AP7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2019, 06:40 PM   #1432
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP7x View Post
Just found this thread. It's all been said before but amazing tank.

If you don't mind, would you be able to provide your fish list as it is now? And if you had any difficulties you may have faced in your experience and how you handled it.

I think one of the biggest distinguishing traits of your tank is the fish load - which from what I've read, almost everyone would say "overstocked". But it's clearly working for you and while corals are beautiful, the fish really draw me to any reef tank and give it a spark of life.

Thanks!
Thank you for the compliment. I have only a small tank in which sps corals grow every fast. I prefer to carry out deforestation periodically to upgrading. As you mentioned, my tank is full of fish, which is part of my high energy reef strategy, i.e. high nutrient throughput. This has worked really well until recently. For the first time in my reef tank's seven-year history, my corals' growth has stalled and nutrients has never been higher even though their colours still seem plausible. I am not used to this sort of situation, but nevertheless I use these unique circumstances as a learning opportunity. That said, growth is coming back slowly as PO4 levels get closer to 0.1 mg/L. I must mention that I have started to use phosphate absorbers recently after not using any for at least three years.

I have 12 fish in my tank at present. Here is the current stocking list:
  1. yellow tang X 1
  2. evansi anthias X 2
  3. lyretail anthias X 1
  4. royal gramma X 1
  5. file fish X 1
  6. silver belly wrasse X 1
  7. Genicanthus lamarck X 1
  8. Genicanthis bellus X 1
  9. Gneicanthus watanabei X 1
  10. yellow longnose butterflyfish X 1
  11. copperband butterflyfish X 1

Evansi anthias are without doubt the best anthias I ever kept in terms of appearence and behaviour. They are very peaceful. But they were very challenging initially. Even though they appeared to feed in my dealer's tank, feeding them in my tank proved very difficult. I had to purchase special copepods called Ocean Prime Copepods 500-700 um. They are now eating pretty much every frozen food (but never flake) I offer except large pieces, such as large pieces of PE mysis or krill. During this interim period, I lost two of the four fish I originally purchased.

I bought my filefish, which is sps safe, to replace an old filefish that died a few years ago. After its death, aiptasia came back to main display. Initially, the new filefish did not touch any aiptasia, but I trained him by keeping it in my weir, which was full of aiptasia, for several weeks. Once I was convinced that it became an aiptasia terminator, I released it to the main tank. It is a very efficient hunter. I love this fish.

My Genicanthus angelfish are completely reef safe and they are joy to watch. G. bellus is at the bottom of the pecking order and G. lamarck is the boss. He used to be a she. It is a strong fish and chases G. watanabei ferociously from time to time. When I buy new Genicanthus fish, I tend to go for a small female (the smallest size I can get). This way, the chances of bullying is minimised.

In my opinion, lyretail anthias are one of the most aggressive ones. For this reason, I bought only one female. Sadly, she is becoming a male and as a result s/he has started to show aggression towards evansii anthias.

The newest addition is a yellow longnose butterflyfish. It is sps-safe. It does not even touch my only remaining giant feather duster worm. It is a joy to watch.

The most challenging fish of all is, without a doubt, the copperband butterflyfish. She is behind the nutrient spike in my tank. Before I bought her, I ensured that she was feeding on PE mysis in my dealer's tank. She is a large specimen and was collected somewhere in Australian waters. To date, she only eats PE mysis, clams and mussels and nothing else. She is not as agile as the other fish by which I mean she does not move fast and make rapid movements like my other fish do to compete for the food. This is highly annoying. To compensate her deficiency, I either feed the tank more than normal or spot feed her with a long pipet exclusively. Furthermore, when I feed clams and mussels, I freeze these shellfish first and then introduce to the tank. As the shellfish start to defrost their shell start to open slowly. This then gives both the yellow longnose and the copperband an opportunity to use their long snouts to their advantage to gorge on the food while others helplessly look on.

For your information, I feed my fish exclusively on frozen food three times a day. The amount of food I offer is equivalent to 4 cubes or very slightly more (due to PE mysis).

Unread 01/23/2019, 09:45 AM   #1433
reefmutt
Registered Member

What a sneaky and brilliant trick - adding the clams frozen so that they thaw and open up slowly!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 01/23/2019, 09:48 AM   #1434
Pife
Registered Member

Thanks for the update. I like your new additions. Your confetti looks the part just like mine when I got it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2019, 10:13 AM   #1435
AP7x
Registered Member

Wow thank you for the detailed response. I recently came back to the hobby and based on research, I'm on the high nutrient side as well. Your tank is especially of interest to me because we have a similar size system and I want to do SPS dominant with a higher fish load. My main fish are actually a pair of Watanabei Angelfish, and I'm on the lookout for a small female Bellus to add next - we share the appreciation for Genicanthus angels it seems; overall, your reef is definitely a model for my own and I can learn a lot from your experiences

12 fish seem to be on the lower end for you based on past years - earlier in this thread it seems you had up to 21 fish at one point.

Did you decide to reduce the fish count for any particular reason(s) or is it just how the current state of your reef is at? Did you find having upwards to 21 fish caused any notable issues based on your system size?

Thank you for your insights!

Last edited by AP7x; 01/23/2019 at 10:53 AM.
Unread 01/23/2019, 04:19 PM   #1436
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
What a sneaky and brilliant trick - adding the clams frozen so that they thaw and open up slowly!
I learned this technique from a fellow reefer who posted on RC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pife View Post
Thanks for the update. I like your new additions. Your confetti looks the part just like mine when I got it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Thank you Brandon. What is "confetti"?

Unread 01/23/2019, 04:42 PM   #1437
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Wow thank you for the detailed response. I recently came back to the hobby and based on research, I'm on the high nutrient side as well. Your tank is especially of interest to me because we have a similar size system and I want to do SPS dominant with a higher fish load. My main fish are actually a pair of Watanabei Angelfish, and I'm on the lookout for a small female Bellus to add next - we share the appreciation for Genicanthus angels it seems; overall, your reef is definitely a model for my own and I can learn a lot from your experiences

12 fish seem to be on the lower end for you based on past years - earlier in this thread it seems you had up to 21 fish at one point.

Did you decide to reduce the fish count for any particular reason(s) or is it just how the current state of your reef is at? Did you find having upwards to 21 fish caused any notable issues based on your system size?

Thank you for your insights!
I have had 13 fish most of the time since September 2015, but I increased the number of fish to 21 only last year after I purchased several different anthias (3 flavoguttatus, 4 evansi and 2 tuka). Sadly, I lost all the flavoguttaus and tukas as well as two of the evansi as I mentioned in my previous post. I could not get tukas eat even after feeding them with the smallest copepods. As for flavoguttus and evansi, they ate really well. So I was puzzled. In addition, all my resplendent anthias have died recently over a period of a few months. I bought them in September 2015. Again, they ate really well and they looked fat, but started to look rather "old" and tired. Could it be old age? I do not know?

Based on my experience, about 13 fish is the optimum number for my tank if I want to manage PO4 without any PO4 adsorbers. If I have over this number, some sort of PO4 adsorber becomes necessary.

Unread 01/24/2019, 10:32 AM   #1438
AP7x
Registered Member

Ah ok, I guess I was focusing more on the post-2015 info, including your Ultimate Reef TOTM article which included the resplendent anthias. I am sorry to hear about their loss as well as the others. It is especially disappointing when they are eating well and show no signs of distress.

It is interesting that the resplendent suddenly died in a similar time span after a few years of living well. However, from what I've been reading on forums, it seems anthias long term in captivity is a challenge (except maybe the hardiest of them like the lyretail). Even the 3+ years is a mark of success relative to most, and perhaps age was a factor for such a highly active species.

I'm still reading through this thread and finding new things to look into. I appreciate your time and I'll definitely be keeping up with this thread - the longevity and results of the tank are amazing, and the details you provide are more informative than most sources online or otherwise haha.

Looking forward to the updates in 2019!

Unread 01/24/2019, 03:02 PM   #1439
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Ah ok, I guess I was focusing more on the post-2015 info, including your Ultimate Reef TOTM article which included the resplendent anthias. I am sorry to hear about their loss as well as the others. It is especially disappointing when they are eating well and show no signs of distress.

It is interesting that the resplendent suddenly died in a similar time span after a few years of living well. However, from what I've been reading on forums, it seems anthias long term in captivity is a challenge (except maybe the hardiest of them like the lyretail). Even the 3+ years is a mark of success relative to most, and perhaps age was a factor for such a highly active species.

I'm still reading through this thread and finding new things to look into. I appreciate your time and I'll definitely be keeping up with this thread - the longevity and results of the tank are amazing, and the details you provide are more informative than most sources online or otherwise haha.

Looking forward to the updates in 2019!
Resplendents' death was not sudden like tukas, but it was more like gradual in that they ate less but nevertheless still eagerly a few weeks to a month before their death. Their stomach looked fairly emaciated. May be, internal parasites caused this as they always expelled white and long feaces from the moment they into entered my tank nearly four years ago.

Last edited by DiscusHeckel; 01/24/2019 at 03:09 PM.
Unread 01/26/2019, 03:49 PM   #1440
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

I did some water tests yesterday and today.

NO3: 25 ppm
PO4: 0.25 mg/L

KH: 6.55 dKH
Ca: 435 ppm
Mg: 1320 ppm

Alkalinity dropped 1 dKH over the past seven days. But this has nothing to do with growth. The strength of limewater in my kalkstirrer has weakened as the calcium hydroxide media needs replacing soon. The amount of additional two-part dosing is at its lowest level since I began to use kalkstirrer almost four years ago. This is a good indicator of how slow the coral growth is lately.

Bryopsis keep growing and I keep pruning them weekly. They are seriously testing my patience. There is also some cyanobacteria presence in isolated spots.

FM Ultra Phos is simply maintaining PO4 within a narrow range (typically 0.14-0.25 mg/L depending on how frequently I replace the media) as opposed to reducing it. I have decided to cut down food slightly and start to alternate Ultra Phos with Rowa Phos. I am starting my new strategy tomorrow.

NO3:PO4 ratio is 100:1. Coral colours look saturated and quite good I must admit.

I dose Bacto-Balance at its maximum recommended daily dose (i.e. 1 ml per 100L). I supplement it with A- Balance at its maximum daily recommended dose (i.e. 1 ml per 100L). I also dose Reef Actif at its maximum recommended dose (i.e. 2.5 ml per 250 L three times a week).

Finally, here are some random photos I took earlier this afternoon:

P1120712

P1120716

P1120725

P1120726

P1120731

Unread 01/27/2019, 01:25 PM   #1441
reefmutt
Registered Member

I am very family with those numbers, Bulent! I had great colors too.
You mentioned on schnitzel’s thread that you were tempted by an algae fuge... I bet it would help pull things down a bit..
Have you considered fluconazole for the bryopsis?
Tanks looks good!

Unread 01/27/2019, 01:37 PM   #1442
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
I am very family with those numbers, Bulent! I had great colors too.
You mentioned on schnitzel’s thread that you were tempted by an algae fuge... I bet it would help pull things down a bit..
Have you considered fluconazole for the bryopsis?
Tanks looks good!
I cannot accommodate any macro algae in my sump unless I remove a big box of siporax. This is why I questioned the efficacy of siporax in schnitzel's thread. I have never questioned siporax up until recently as NO3 has always been below 10 ppm (in fact below 5 ppm most of the time even when I had lots of anthias). I attributed this to siporax, but I am confused now. Why is NO3 still high and not coming down despite rinsing the siporax media? A possible explanation may be that I have disturbed nitrifying bacteria while rescaping my tank. Perhaps, I should not have removed removed 50% of the sand bed before hand.

As for bryopsis, am I right that you used fluconazole in your tank? If so, would you direct me to the pages in which you discussed your experience with it. I think I may have to resort to this anti-fungal medication to get rid of this nuisance algae once and for all.

Unread 02/01/2019, 05:36 AM   #1443
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

I started to use RowaPhos again five days ago after a four-year break. I have just tested nutrients.

NO3: 25 ppm no change
PO4: 0.14 mg/L (down from 0.25 mg/L).

I will continue to use RowaPhos a little longer. I am hoping that once PO4 is under 0.1 mg/L, the growth will recommence, which will then keep PO4 in check with just Bacto-Balance with occasional GFO/Ultra Phos use, but my reef has its own mind. Time will tell what will happen.

Unread 02/01/2019, 05:46 AM   #1444
crs751
Registered Member

What is your sweet spot for nitrates? I am trying to lower mine from 20 to see if growth is spurred. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crs751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2019, 05:56 AM   #1445
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by crs751 View Post
What is your sweet spot for nitrates? I am trying to lower mine from 20 to see if growth is spurred. Thanks.

My NO3 was historically between 2.5-5 ppm. It has never been as high as 25ppm. So, this is an unchartered territory for me.

As for "sweet spot", I do not evaluate NO3 in isolation. I also take PO4 into account. My experience suggests that as long as the ratio between NO3 and PO4 is around 100:1, I observe really deep and good colours on Acroporids. If PO4 is also well below 0.1 mg/L with this kind of high ratio between the two nutrients, I get super fast coral growth even when alkalinity is below 7 dKH.

Unread 02/01/2019, 12:58 PM   #1446
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Acropora sarmentosa showing signs of good health despite high nutrients. Its current dimensions are 8.5" X 8" X 3".

P1120733

Unread 02/01/2019, 01:02 PM   #1447
crs751
Registered Member

Nutrients are a difficult topic for me. It appears that my corals are ok with nitrates at 20 ppm and alk at 9.0 but yours are exceptional and much lower levels and I don’t believe you feed your corals do you?

Unread 02/01/2019, 02:45 PM   #1448
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by crs751 View Post
Nutrients are a difficult topic for me. It appears that my corals are ok with nitrates at 20 ppm and alk at 9.0 but yours are exceptional and much lower levels and I don’t believe you feed your corals do you?

No I do not use use any proprietary coral food, but I feed coral holobiont, symbiotic bacteria, instead using a proprietary product called Tropic Marin Reef Actif.

High fish load is also very beneficial to corals as symbiotic bacteria have preference for ammonia/ammonium produced by fish urea for food over another nitrogen source, nitrates. If you like reading, let me know, so that I will send you a scientific paper about this topic.

Unread 02/01/2019, 02:46 PM   #1449
crs751
Registered Member

Yes please PM the link to me. Thanks

Unread 02/03/2019, 11:24 AM   #1450
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusHeckel View Post
I cannot accommodate any macro algae in my sump unless I remove a big box of siporax. This is why I questioned the efficacy of siporax in schnitzel's thread. I have never questioned siporax up until recently as NO3 has always been below 10 ppm (in fact below 5 ppm most of the time even when I had lots of anthias). I attributed this to siporax, but I am confused now. Why is NO3 still high and not coming down despite rinsing the siporax media? A possible explanation may be that I have disturbed nitrifying bacteria while rescaping my tank. Perhaps, I should not have removed removed 50% of the sand bed before hand.

As for bryopsis, am I right that you used fluconazole in your tank? If so, would you direct me to the pages in which you discussed your experience with it. I think I may have to resort to this anti-fungal medication to get rid of this nuisance algae once and for all.
I remember several years ago, I added about 8 liters of siporax and another 8 liters of matrix.. it has absolutely effect in my nitrate levels.. I still have it in my system and the only time I have seen n go up or down is wham dosing a carbon source or when my fuge is well lit and growing well.. I’m sure a system needs a certain amount of surace area for bacterial but adding extra doesn’t make a difference imo..
I have used fluco twice. Both times, the bryopsis was the first thing to go but it impacted all types of algea in my system. I had to restart my fuge both times.
It also caused an increase in nitrates..
unfortunately I don’t really know exactly where in my thread.. feel free to ask me any questions you have Bulent..