Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/03/2016, 05:56 PM   #3751
myram
#347, 19 years

Did some changes this past weekend, corals were getting too big for my tank.

Before -

After -

Much more open with the huge Toadstool gone. The replacement is a much smaller baby from the same flesh as the other was from. Took 2 years to get that big, so this new one should be about the same. I'm taking out a few SPS and replacing them with Hammers, Frogspawns, and Torches...........love LPS much more than SPS>

myram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2016, 06:57 PM   #3752
myram
#347, 19 years

Anyone try out a Gyre style pump in the corner tank yet?

I'm debating getting one for the left side glass to replace the MP10. It looks like it will give a lot more and wider flow.

Unread 12/17/2016, 08:04 AM   #3753
myram
#347, 19 years

I gave it a try and didn't like it.
Used a Gyre 130, found it too big in the tank, flow wasn't what I was expecting with the bow front.

So, back to the MP10's and the Gyre is for sale.

Unread 02/03/2017, 04:38 PM   #3754
donnievaz
Registered Member

Debating getting a 92 corner.

I'm debating getting a Reef Ready 92g corner tank to replace my BioCube 29 HQI. Somebody talk me out of it...

Please give me your pros and cons on having and maintaining corner tanks.

Current Tank Info: Biocube 29 HQI
donnievaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2017, 11:45 AM   #3755
SaltyDoug
Registered Member

Unless you have a very specific corner that is your only option for placing a tank, I can not really recommend it for the following reasons.

1) Sump space, it is cramped and hard but not impossible to utilize the entire area under the tank for equipment.

2) lighting can be a challenge to get even coverage

3) flow can also be a challenge trying to eliminate dead spots.

Only reason I miss my corner tank is I could easily see it from the couch while facing the tv.

SaltyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2017, 03:21 PM   #3756
donnievaz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDoug View Post
Unless you have a very specific corner that is your only option for placing a tank, I can not really recommend it for the following reasons.

1) Sump space, it is cramped and hard but not impossible to utilize the entire area under the tank for equipment.

2) lighting can be a challenge to get even coverage

3) flow can also be a challenge trying to eliminate dead spots.

Only reason I miss my corner tank is I could easily see it from the couch while facing the tv.
Thanks for the input.

I think I'll be OK as far as space goes. My plan is to build a built-in stand that would come out 16" or so perpendicular to the walls then cut straight across. That would buy me some extra space below and I could have a little extra space between the sides and the walls for access to pump magnets, mag scrapers, frag racks, etc.

I can see where lighting and flow would be challenging at best. I wonder if anyone has used a gyre or two on one of these. If money weren't a factor (it is unfortunately) I think a few strategically placed Kessils could solve the light issue.

Current Tank Info: Biocube 29 HQI
donnievaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2017, 08:20 AM   #3757
KAKLANGLEY
Registered Member

IME- Water Flow can be the most challenging. Keeping enough flow without blowing sand out of the front corners is the only dilemma I have recurring issues with, keep in mind that if you move the aquascaping a little the flow pattern changes much greater than with box tanks. With 2 Hydra 26HD I have no real shaded area that is bothersome anyway. With Ric Florida and Zoa in the front corners they have plenty of light for growth. Will get a pic or two for reference with light shading.

Ive just added a second MP40 on the right side and have the two paired through my Apex with the WXM module. Love the control flexibility of different flow modes and speeds for each pump individually and the ability to sync/ anti-sync pumps together. Allows different modes to be run at different times as well. With seemingly infinite speed and mode control its easy to waste and hour or six playing with the flow in a corner tank.

HIT EM WITH THE HEIN
KAKLANGLEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2017, 10:07 AM   #3758
KAKLANGLEY
Registered Member

Taken a couple of rock moves ago, and since have removed Koralias and added second MP40.

Previously I had a Kor2 on the right and a Kor3 on the left running constantly with another Kor2 on the front glass positioned towards the other's intersecting flow point that ran intermittently (standard lamp timer) from sunrise to sunset. This power head configuration seemed to work best for me and allowed me the cash to buy the AI 26hds instead of the MP40s and cheaper lights.

IMO-->

If your looking equipment options for these tanks I'd go with lighting first then with controllable/ programmable water movement. Lamp timers and cheap power heads are better than having wonderful flow and not enough light to support the inhabitants or just unpleasant to look at color wise. I had the controllable current fixture which was ok for some of the corals directly underneath. To get the coverage you want you will need multiple of them as well. Look on the equip selling forum as there are a lot of good lights that would probably only cost you as much as the Currents (or similar brand) would new.

Secondly, with the overflow piping single drain/ single return handling 600-800 gph, dependent on manufacturer, there's no need to buy a oversized skimmer that can process more water than you can feed to for processing. I have a Bubble Magnus Curve 5 running now that has out performed a Vertex 180i by a mile. After some calculations and help from a few members here I found it wasn't getting enough water/waste to be able to produce a good consistent foam. The overflow can be converted to dual drain with external piped returns to increase flow through the sump, which I'm planning to do this spring.

Third, the sump room is limited if using the standard size stand. I have a Trigger Ruby 30 wedged under mine. If you're planning on running reactors for carbon, GFO, BioPellets or the like I would suggest using a single larger pump to feed a manifold breaking out to feed each reactor, with valves for flow control, which will enable you to mount the reactors somewhere out of the way instead of hanging of the rim of the sump. Most pumps (ex: Sicce 1.5) will handle the head pressure of restricted flow better for longer periods of time over a MJ400 reducing the maintenance time/ headache of cleaning impellers/ adjusting valves. Not mention it's easier make the room for one pump rather than three power heads in the sump.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7637.jpg (56.3 KB, 86 views)

HIT EM WITH THE HEIN
Unread 03/14/2017, 02:08 PM   #3759
Blackdog2
Registered Member

I've read through a lot of this thread(may have missed a page or two) but haven't seen anyone discuss this question. I'm going to be drilling soon for my Eshopps eclipse overflow and would like some input as to optimal location. I'm thinking as far back in the corner as I can so it's out of the way of rockscape and powerhead placement. What does everyone think?

Thanks in advance

BD

Blackdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2018, 02:00 PM   #3760
joeb558
Registered Member

54 Corner Whats the lifespan of the tank

Hi All, My tank is 14 years old. Its an Ocean brand. Been running well for a long time. I notice the silicone starting to peal on the edges. How long do these tanks usually last?

joeb558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2018, 01:10 PM   #3761
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb558 View Post
Hi All, My tank is 14 years old. Its an Ocean brand. Been running well for a long time. I notice the silicone starting to peal on the edges. How long do these tanks usually last?
That’s not likely the structural silicone you are seeing peeling. It’s probably just the bead that they put there to keep people from digging into the strucural silicone while cleaning the glass.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2018, 09:18 AM   #3762
joeb558
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
That’s not likely the structural silicone you are seeing peeling. It’s probably just the bead that they put there to keep people from digging into the strucural silicone while cleaning the glass.
YEs thats true. Would that typically affect the integrity of the seal?

joeb558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2018, 10:36 AM   #3763
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb558 View Post
YEs thats true. Would that typically affect the integrity of the seal?
No, unless you start seeing bubbles forming in the seams I wouldn’t worry. Tanks can last way longer than 14 years.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2020, 07:40 PM   #3764
paul17
Registered Member

hi I am so glad I found this thread I just got a 92 gallon need tips on lighting thx

Current Tank Info: cad light 100 gallon
paul17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2020, 12:43 AM   #3765
KAKLANGLEY
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul17 View Post
hi I am so glad I found this thread I just got a 92 gallon need tips on lighting thx
If you have a canopy that y’all enough you can hang whatever you want inside it. If topless these TV/Monitor mounts modified will hold smaller single fixtures (XR15s, XR30s, Hydra 26-32-52-64, ReefLED, Noopshyc, etc..), or I’m sure you could space them appropriately to hand a larger +/- 3ft T5 or LED panel style fixture. With the shape and depth of the 92 I have found 3 smaller fixture to work better than 1 large. Although a 250-400 watt MH with a nice reflector would work well also, like the Reef Brite 15” MH Led hybrid could work well if hung high enough for full coverage, additional led strips could be added to hit the corners if need be.

*trying to add a pic of mine but keeps kicking me off the page? Will add in next post.

HIT EM WITH THE HEIN
Unread 01/28/2020, 12:46 AM   #3766
KAKLANGLEY
Registered Member

Older photo when I had 2 26HD over my 92

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9A8D5277-6B78-41B5-A868-B086179A690A.jpg (42.6 KB, 23 views)

HIT EM WITH THE HEIN
Unread 01/28/2020, 05:15 PM   #3767
paul17
Registered Member

very nice ...yes it does have a canopy 12 in tall open back I want to use 4 t5 running length wise smaller tubes in back larger in front with 1 or 2 kessels I here thay best rep. mh.or 1 or 2 250 watt metal halides I have always had good luck with t5 and mh
leds would be new to me but for obvious reasons I might use them thank you

Unread 01/28/2020, 05:32 PM   #3768
KAKLANGLEY
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul17 View Post
very nice ...yes it does have a canopy 12 in tall open back I want to use 4 t5 running length wise smaller tubes in back larger in front with 1 or 2 kessels I here thay best rep. mh.or 1 or 2 250 watt metal halides I have always had good luck with t5 and mh
leds would be new to me but for obvious reasons I might use them thank you
If I were using LED solely I would consider Kessil but with the LED/T5 combo I would likely use the Orphek Bars, ReefBrite Bars, or just less expensive LED fixtures since the T5 can supply your photosynthetic needs the LED would be more shimmer and coral “pop”. The money saved between the Kessils could go to other equipment or CORAL!!!! Waterflow was the biggest hurdle to dial in. I use two MP40 about halfway front to back on either side and 2/3 the way up, works pretty well for me. Of course all of this is just my $.02

HIT EM WITH THE HEIN
Unread 01/28/2020, 06:33 PM   #3769
paul17
Registered Member

I thank you for the info I just did some measuring no way all that is going to fit
I could not even get a Hamilton single halide 4 t5 fixture in there its 24 x 13 1/2
I am stumped I could possibly fit 3 t5s around the edges with a super small reflector in the middle

Unread 02/06/2020, 01:03 AM   #3770
juarec0201
Registered Member

I’ve been searching this thread and could use a little guidance. 54 corner been running 1 year now. Love my corner tank but have found out the pains of it. I plan to drill the tank for a sump , only running HOB at the moment. Planning on building a custom stand. If anyone has any plans or info .... guidance or anything ! I would greatly appreciate it.

juarec0201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2020, 11:13 AM   #3771
Misled
RC Mod

click on my blog,

Unread 02/06/2020, 06:08 PM   #3772
paul17
Registered Member

nice I like it

Unread 02/18/2020, 09:08 PM   #3773
the98hawk
Registered Member

Hey guys, first saltwater tank. I have a 54 gallon corner tank and looking for suggestions on powerhead placement and modes.

Tank has about 40 lbs of live rock and the following livestock:
1 purple firefish
1 royal gramma
1 black snow clown
2 Banggai cardinals

Running 2 vortech mp10s and looking for thoughts on placement and modes.

Thanks!

the98hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2020, 09:10 PM   #3774
the98hawk
Registered Member

Also wondering what kind of magnet cleaner works good for the curved glass. Any luck with a specific brand/model?

Unread 02/25/2020, 11:48 AM   #3775
the98hawk
Registered Member

Anyone home?

Tags
bowfront, corner tank thread