Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/05/2011, 12:17 PM   #1
Steve Sullivan
Registered Member

Waterflow in sump/refugium for 180 gallon reef tank

Hi I am starting a 180 gallon reef tank. The tank has an internal drain with drains for 4 1" pipes. I have a 48"x18x18 tank the I am going to use as the refugium that will have 3 chambers of 24x18x12 (refugium), 14x18x10 (middle for protein skimmer) and 10x18x10 for the return pumps. I have two Mag 9.5 pumps that came with the tank for returning water to main tank.

I am a little concerned that I may have more flow than I want with this setup. With 4 one inch lines I am guessing I can flow up to 2400 gph through the drains, and with 4' of head I am guessing the two pumps will move about 1200 gph. I am especially concerned with all that flow going through the refugium.

What I am considering is flowing two of the one inch pipes into the refugium, and putting and end cap on the pipes, and then drilling holes so that the flow is more distributed in the refugium. Then I would flow two of the pipes directly into the middle chamber where I will have my protein skimmer. I am also thinking about putting valves on the drains so that I can adjust the flow in either the refugium or the sump,

I would appreciate any feedback on this. I am new to the hobby and I am sure there are probably some better ideas out there than what I have come up with. Thanks, Steve

Steve Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2011, 12:29 PM   #2
username in use
Sciencing Daily

I wouldn't drain directly to the refugium. I would drain to the skimmer and then to the fuge, or dain to the skimmer, then to the return in the middle and have the return also feed your refugium on the other side.

For flow, you really only need 5-700gph going through your sump for that size system. You could probably do a single mag 9.5 and not need anything else for your return.

"With fronds like these, who needs anemones?" - Albert Einstein

Current Tank Info: multiple nano's sprinkled around the house
username in use is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2011, 05:51 PM   #3
Laddy
Registered Member

So there is a single overflow, probably in the the middle of the tank, with four drilled holes in the bottom?

If that's the case, a common setup is two supply lines to the sump, and two returns. Hole 1 left side return, holes 2 and 3 for standpipes, and hole 4 for right side return.

I wouldn't recommend two return pumps on your system for a number of reasons. Mag 9.5s draw 93w each for instance! And two would add a considerable amount of heat, as well. Mag drives are nice and stable but far from efficient. You could easily get an external pump, say like a Genx40 to push water back at around 130w, and could regulate the return from 1000gph+ down to 6-700 without any problems. But if you don't want to invest in anymore equipment, then I would use a single return 9.5 and keep the 2nd one as backup.

I wouldn't return directly into the refugium either.

Hope this helps.

Hobbies: I enjoy moving water from point A, to point B, back to point A

WANTED: True ATL Appleberry Palawanensis Frag, PM me.

Current Tank Info: Current Build: 180 Reef; 55 holding tank
Laddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2011, 06:27 AM   #4
Steve Sullivan
Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback! On my tank there is one overflow box in the corner of the tank. The box is about 14"x4"x10" with the four holes at the bottom back edge of the box running through the side of the tank. I will be plumbing these lines external to the tank to the sump.

I don't think that with this setup I can use two of the lines as a return. Thanks for info on flow rates and water routing, I will incorporate your advice in my plan. Thanks

Unread 02/06/2011, 08:16 AM   #5
username in use
Sciencing Daily

with that setup, you can use the bean animal dead silent and fail safe overflow. look it up in the search.

"With fronds like these, who needs anemones?" - Albert Einstein

Current Tank Info: multiple nano's sprinkled around the house
username in use is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2011, 08:24 AM   #6
Indymann99
Registered Member

+1 on Bean or Herbie (search Bean Animal or Herbie return designs)

With all the holes in 1 return you are golden

You should be able to run a single Mag9.5 and be fine.

Unread 02/07/2011, 03:18 PM   #7
Steve Sullivan
Registered Member

Thanks for the information guys, the Bean Animal design is very interesting. I think I am going to give this a try. Quiet, and fail safe are both features that are hard to pass up.

Tags
flow, plumbing, refugium, sump