Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

r-balljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2012, 10:06 PM   #303
ange062
Registered Member

Great shots as always!! Lobster looks like a great dinner (though I honestly prefer Maine lobster to the tropical variety).

29g AGA Planted FW
ange062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2012, 10:51 PM   #304
galleon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allsps40 View Post
It is human caused. All the run off from fields using fertilizer ends up in the ocean causing increased plankton blooms from the increase in phosphates in the water. The Crown of Thorns in larval state feeds on plankton. With increased food sources the population was able to increase due to more larva surviving to adult size
Where did you read this??

galleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2012, 11:14 PM   #305
bryman
Aquascape Destroyer

Awesome pics and videos! I had no idea that full size eels would live in the shallows like that. And try to eat a huge crab!

Current Tank Info: 90G Tech
bryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2012, 10:03 AM   #306
spsfreak1977
Registered Member

Nice shots I need to move there

spsfreak1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2012, 05:03 PM   #307
r-balljunkie
Registered Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ange062 View Post
Great shots as always!! Lobster looks like a great dinner (though I honestly prefer Maine lobster to the tropical variety).
beggars and choosers....get what you can here

Quote:
Originally Posted by myroom View Post
UNREAL Great foot shot lol.
not my foot. its a Marshallese guy's foot. locals are better at collecting lobsters than us howlies. if it was left up to me to collect them, everyone would have went to bed hungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryman View Post
Awesome pics and videos! I had no idea that full size eels would live in the shallows like that. And try to eat a huge crab!
yes, eels creep you out at low tide. you see them, but they cant see you since there vision is so poor. they're not out to get you, but still creepy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spsfreak1977 View Post
Nice shots I need to move there
come on thru.......and get kwajified.

i finally got my camera back from Olympus, second trip in for repairs. i guess they don’t fair well when you drop them. Big thumbs up for Olympus service. ill always speak kindly of a company when they take care of you. I think I’m a customer for life.

i took some pics of the tank. I’m still not finished filling it out, needs some work on the left side. im talking to my buddy and were going to go sailing to a island up the chain, where im sure the wildlife will be more varied.

The fish collecting is going a lot better. im catching fish on every dive. it might not be the exact fish i wanted, but alas a fish in hand is better than nothing. still some room for a few more. im contemplating a new stand as well, but not looking forward to taking down the tank, swapping over. my current stand does not exude confidence. it was one of those flat pack self assembly ones....didn’t have a lot of time to do preparations while leaving stateside. i was building my dream tank before coming out here (3' cube, on a steel stand), sold it hastily since i new i wouldn’t have the room for it here.

Updated tank shots. enjoy.

Unread 02/28/2012, 05:04 PM   #308
r-balljunkie
Registered Reefer

Unread 02/28/2012, 05:05 PM   #309
r-balljunkie
Registered Reefer

Unread 02/28/2012, 05:37 PM   #310
Dholmblad
Registered Member

You have inspired me, to search for business intelligence jobs in the marshall islands you have some amaizing pictures there

Dholmblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2012, 04:46 PM   #311
Johanv
Registered Member

Thanks for the link in my earlier thread, WOW is all i can say, this thread is so jaw dropping! I just spent around 3hrs reading this and enjoyed every min of it, I already told my parents that When i get older ima see if i can apply for a job and live on the marshall islands, subscribing BTW.

Biggest baseball fanatic you know : )

16 YRS OLD

Current Tank Info: 45 gal hex softy
Johanv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2012, 05:27 PM   #312
explor3r
Registered Member

Ohhh man I just had butterflies in my stomach after seeing where you live and after this winter in Canada...Thanks for sharing..Completely jelous

explor3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2012, 05:44 PM   #313
karsseboom
Registered Member

Have you ever thought of just running a big pump that would pump water staright from the ocean to your tank? Then you wouldnt need any type of filter or sump, no dosing, no water changes. Just a box of water with a return line.

karsseboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2012, 05:58 PM   #314
gbru316
Registered Member

Hmmm, I qualify for the electronics tech job currently open, and have military and DoD electronics experience..... Wonder if the wife wants to move?

Great pics!

gbru316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2012, 07:29 PM   #315
r-balljunkie
Registered Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dholmblad View Post
You have inspired me, to search for business intelligence jobs in the marshall islands you have some amaizing pictures there
Give it a whirl....you might have to flex and waiver in what you end up doing, most of us don’t 100% fit the bill for job descriptions out here. I’ve never done this type of engineering out here, but meh, it’s all the same. Problem, find solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanv View Post
Thanks for the link in my earlier thread, WOW is all i can say, this thread is so jaw dropping! I just spent around 3hrs reading this and enjoyed every min of it, I already told my parents that When i get older ima see if i can apply for a job and live on the marshall islands, subscribing BTW.
No problem. We have some younger folks out here. Most of the fire department ranges from 22-30. Some folks luck out and get out here early in life too. it’s definitely an adventure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by explor3r View Post
Ohhh man I just had butterflies in my stomach after seeing where you live and after this winter in Canada...Thanks for sharing..Completely jelous
What’s this strange word, winter you speak of? LOL. yeah, I’d like to tell you that 86 degrees all year around gets old, and I wished it would get cold so I’d have to put on a pair of pants, or a jacket...........but I can’t cuz it totally rocks wearing shorts and sandals everyday of the year. Only drawback to having the same weather all year long is the days/weeks/months go faster since you don’t have a point of reference what time of the year it is. We have scuba Santa here, he comes out of the water in a Santa suit, all the kids go crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by karsseboom View Post
Have you ever thought of just running a big pump that would pump water staright from the ocean to your tank? Then you wouldnt need any type of filter or sump, no dosing, no water changes. Just a box of water with a return line.
from where i live, its far to the ocean, 150 yards or so. id have to cross streets and im sure someone would say something about a hose strangely sitting on the street. a few years ago, all of the toilets were NSW flush. that would have been nirvana. I definitely would have rigged something up!!
Relegated to hauling 5 gallon buckets on my bike. i usually tie it in with a dive, so heck, I’m already wet, and knock out the water change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbru316 View Post
Hmmm, I qualify for the electronics tech job currently open, and have military and DoD electronics experience..... Wonder if the wife wants to move?

Great pics!
Just apply anyways. its a long drawn out process to get here, takes on average a year. if you get an offer, start to soften her up and dropping hints

ive been slacking on posting new pics, not sure if the novelty has wore off yet

Unread 03/12/2012, 07:48 PM   #316
gbru316
Registered Member

I'd love to, and I'm sure she wouldn't be against it as long as I didn't make the REAL reason known. A bit warm for me, but she'd LOVE the temperature. 85 is right around where she is comfortable, damn mediterranean blood...

I'm assuming it takes that long partly because of clearance issues?

We have pictures of launches of certain systems that my employer supplies subassemblies to that I'm assuming were taken out in your neck of the woods.

However, it'd be hard to finish my engineering degree at Penn state from the middle of the pacific. Incredibly tempting though

gbru316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2012, 11:37 AM   #317
Johanv
Registered Member

Please keep on posting pics! Dont let this thread die!!!!

Biggest baseball fanatic you know : )

16 YRS OLD

Current Tank Info: 45 gal hex softy
Johanv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2012, 04:42 PM   #318
007Bond
Registered Member

WOW, Just spent most of my day, start to finish on your great thread. As already posted, PLEASE don't stop your updates. I'll be looking. Was a home builder for 30 years, but the banking industry decided they did not want anymore homes built, so I'm just kicking the can. Wouldn't take much to get me to move, but my wife who sold real estate for 20years has one more year to become a RN. Then were out of here! Thanks and have a great day on your island!---Rick

007Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2012, 10:39 PM   #319
spiderphil360
Registered Member

great photo...great place !

This is totally amazing !!!! Thank you for you thread.....because today , in quebec canada, it's snowing outside
I look your post almost 3 hours..............

and to look all your picture it's the same image in my dreams.......

you make me feel better and smiling....one day , i will see that in person !

thank you again

sorry for my bad english

Current Tank Info: 75 gal. reef whit 20 gal. sump
spiderphil360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2012, 12:22 AM   #320
lowbudget
Registered Member

awesome everytime i log on i look at this thread

lowbudget is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2012, 02:51 PM   #321
gemini aquarius(t)
Always Learning

Just finished reading this! Oh my lawrrrdddy. I want your life.

Keep it updated please!

Unread 03/22/2012, 02:13 AM   #322
WickedBlue28
Registered Member

I'm a little late to the party but been reading the thread and living through your post and pictures. As tons of others have said amazing stuff!

Unread 03/22/2012, 12:19 PM   #323
Surf&turf
Registered Member

Simply awesome, thanks for sharing!!

Unread 03/22/2012, 01:29 PM   #324
wyattroa
Registered Member

stunned, such great pictures and a great looking tank!

wyattroa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2012, 09:18 PM   #325
smoq
Registered Member

This thread is amazing. We should be grateful to Chuck for taking his time and bringing this little piece of paradise close to everyone thru his written words and photography. It's a great journey from a reefer's point of view. I'm glad I found this and learned new things about corals in the wild. Keep up with that great thread man and I wish you all the best!

smoq is offline   Reply With Quote