Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/08/2011, 09:46 PM   #76
jonnybravo22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptan View Post
Hello Lemonlemon and other reefers... just want to ask if anyone of you have experience in taking care of Burgess' Butterfly (Chaetodon burgessi)? if anyone can shed experience with this fish... planning to buy one and put it inside my reef tank... i have lots of lps and zoas... as per liveaquaria it has a taste for anemone and lps... but its a beauty... seen it in one lfs here... thanks again guys... this thread gives me courage to put butterflies inside my reef tank...
good fish overall. mine became a bully when i introduced a mitratus butterfly a few months after him. it was essentially "his tank" prior to that though, because the only other fish are 2 clownfish who never leave their anemone.

he has not done any damage to the corals (nor has the mitratus).

i've been using the "mirror trick" which has helped to reduce the aggression.

jonnybravo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2011, 09:19 AM   #77
ptan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnybravo22 View Post
good fish overall. mine became a bully when i introduced a mitratus butterfly a few months after him. it was essentially "his tank" prior to that though, because the only other fish are 2 clownfish who never leave their anemone.

he has not done any damage to the corals (nor has the mitratus).

i've been using the "mirror trick" which has helped to reduce the aggression.

thanks for your inputs johny... if i may know what kinds of corals you have? thanks

ptan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2011, 06:00 PM   #78
djkms
Fish Freak

Thanks for taking the time to do the info pages. Should I compile them into one post on this thread or do another thread?

Current Tank Info: 225 Upgrade Setup 11/17/2012 72x27x27 - Custom 40g sump/Diablo DCS-250int skimmer/Blueline HD40x/2 MP40's/Tunze ATO/2 Part/BRS RODI/ Neptune apex, WXM/3 Radium 250w Galaxy Ballast/8 39w T5's/Litermeter III/Aquavitro Salinity/20%WC/Carbon/GFO/Vinegar
djkms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2011, 06:31 PM   #79
aquaph8
Love The Fish

Butterfly's in a reef primer?

Current Tank Info: Leemar 60x36x24, 8x80 T5/LED Sfiligoi GENESIS Alpha 300 skimmer
aquaph8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2011, 08:19 PM   #80
LemonLemon
Registered Member

i'm in china now for 6 weeks so i can't update on my butterflies. i only hope they do well while i'm gone..

i'll be tracking the arrival of 2 C. paucifasciatus (red sea pearlscales) next week so stay tuned [like finally! after god knows how many years]! also, a gramma linkii will be arriving with them.

i've just received an email asking if i'm interested in Cirrhilabrus sanguineus and Paracheilinus picsilineatus from my LFS, but i'm too poor to afford.

Unread 03/09/2011, 11:33 PM   #81
jonnybravo22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptan View Post
thanks for your inputs johny... if i may know what kinds of corals you have? thanks
very good point.

i only have SPS acros. i have no idea how they fare with softies or LPS

jonnybravo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2011, 11:42 AM   #82
skibum9884
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonLemon View Post
i'm in china now for 6 weeks so i can't update on my butterflies. i only hope they do well while i'm gone..

i'll be tracking the arrival of 2 C. paucifasciatus (red sea pearlscales) next week so stay tuned [like finally! after god knows how many years]! also, a gramma linkii will be arriving with them.

i've just received an email asking if i'm interested in Cirrhilabrus sanguineus and Paracheilinus picsilineatus from my LFS, but i'm too poor to afford.
Lemon, how is the tank being cared for while you're in China? Do you have a friend or neighbor that is qualified? I'd be interested to hear how you manage being gone for so long!

Current Tank: Elos System 70, 17 gal ADA Rimless in Progress
skibum9884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2011, 07:24 PM   #83
DaFishHead
Registered Member

Great thread!!

I have aptasia in my tank that I am trying to get ride of. I can not put peppermint shrimp in my tank because the Melanurus Wrasse will kill them in seconds.

I have a SPS tank with a Rose Bubble tip. Would you recomend a butterfly that would not harm the sps but eat the aptasia?

Thanks

Current Tank Info: 125 SPS tank that has a 100G sump and drilled to a 29G Seahorse tank. Storing a 65G tank and live stock for a friend.
DaFishHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2011, 07:53 PM   #84
LemonLemon
Registered Member

skibum - my family, friends and LFS maintenance team will try to keep the tank running. i receive daily e-mail updates from my family and in the event anything goes wrong, at least i can advice via e-mail.

it's a dangerous task and there's bound to be some casualty, but the hope is to minimise as much as i can. the fishes will not be dumped into my tank while i'm not around. i won't allow that so i've arranged for them to be housed and will deal with them when i get back.

this month is very interesting for my country.

paucifasciatus butterflies
sanguineus fairy wrasse
piscilineatus flasher wrasse
gramma linkii

these are some of the most legendary fishes in the trade and all of them coming at once, my heart will probably stop.

Unread 03/11/2011, 05:51 AM   #85
jmaneyapanda
Commencing hatred

Red Sea pearlscales?! Havent seen those available in forever. Especially not here in the states.

I have a declevis and trio of Johnrandallia nigrirostris now. I love those barberfish. I have had extensive butterflies in the past too. Just like angels, I dont think any reef should be without a butterfly or two.

jmaneyapanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2011, 07:10 AM   #86
auem
Registered Member

that's a great butterfly coming for you lemon...

auem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2011, 07:38 AM   #87
Jim Lepage
Registered Member

Hi guys, very interesting thread !

My GF and I are Butterflies addict so we decided to move all our soft and LPS in a 24x24x24 Blau cube and dedicate our 36x36x24 cube to Butterflies and SPS.

We already have a healthy CB and a female Bellus (she can't go in the 60g so she'll stay in the 135g).

We're planning to add 4 or 5 Butterflies. Which ones of our list are the best for this kind of project ?

-Chaetodon Tinkeri - Tinker's Butterflyfish
-Chaetodon Declivis - Marquesan Butterflyfish
-Chaetodon Collare - Pakistan Butterflyfish
-Chaetodon Punctatofasciatus - Punctato Butterflyfish
-Chaetodon Semilarvatus -Golden Butterflyfish
-Chaetadon Ephippium - Saddleback Butterflyfish
-Heniochus Chrysostomus - Threeband Pennantfish
-Hemitaurichthys Polylepis - Pyramid Butterflyfish
-Hemitaurichthys Zoster - Zoster Butterflyfish

Thanks !

Jim Lepage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2011, 08:37 AM   #88
jcw
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaneyapanda View Post
Red Sea pearlscales?! Havent seen those available in forever. Especially not here in the states.

I have a declevis and trio of Johnrandallia nigrirostris now. I love those barberfish. I have had extensive butterflies in the past too. Just like angels, I dont think any reef should be without a butterfly or two.
Is there a difference in pearlscales from different region? There was one at a LFS that was gorgeous but I was afraid it would munch on all the corals.

-eznet2u

Current Tank Info: 125g DT, custom 30g sump, ATB elegance, eheim 1260, mp40 (too many failed wetsides), gyre 150 (love it)
jcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2011, 01:03 PM   #89
Sardaukar
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lepage View Post
-Chaetodon Tinkeri - Tinker's Butterflyfish
-Chaetodon Declivis - Marquesan Butterflyfish
-Chaetodon Collare - Pakistan Butterflyfish
-Chaetodon Punctatofasciatus - Punctato Butterflyfish
-Chaetodon Semilarvatus -Golden Butterflyfish
-Chaetadon Ephippium - Saddleback Butterflyfish
-Heniochus Chrysostomus - Threeband Pennantfish
-Hemitaurichthys Polylepis - Pyramid Butterflyfish
-Hemitaurichthys Zoster - Zoster Butterflyfish
Hemitaurichthys are pretty much reef safe - lots of people have both pyramids and zosters in their reefs with little to no picking. They are pretty easy going with others of their species as well. I've seen plenty of people with 3 or 4 of them in there and they apparently more or less ignore each other. The Heiniochus are pretty similar AFAIK. Tinkeri complex butterflys (declivis, tinkeri, burgess, mitratus, etc) are also generally pretty reef safe and peaceful, although I've heard of some aggression between species in the complex. Plenty of people have had multiple tinkeri complex butterflys in the same tank, so it might work - your tank isn't THAT big though.

Pakistan's and golden's are also both great fish, although I believe the risk of coral picking is increased. Saddleback is a bit riskier and I've heard multiple reports of aggression - it gets to be a fairly big boy and might picking on some of the other butterflys.

If it were me, I think I would do a tinkeri complex one first, then a zosters or pyramid (or two), then try another more risky one like a pakistan or saddleback.

Unread 03/13/2011, 02:23 PM   #90
travismcgee
Registered Member

along these lines, i have a declivis who promptly hit my open brain (removed) and mowed down my elegance. he has left my hammer and frogspawn alone as well as my chalice. thinking of adding a mitratus and wonder if he will leave the chalice alone..any thoughts

travismcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2011, 09:05 PM   #91
LemonLemon
Registered Member

jeremy - the paucifasciatus pair arrived. if you're interested in seeing the photos, i've created a thread for it. 5 more weeks till i'm back from china and hope they survive till then

jim - your list is great. i would stick with the two hemitaurichthys (planktivores, 100% reef safe in theory) the tinker's and declivis would be worth a try as they're pretty ok. i have 2 roaops butterflies. they do fine with my corals. the heniochus is also a good bet.

the other chaetodon species are historically not reef safe. only add them if you're willing to take alot of risk and don't care much about reef-safeness.

Unread 03/13/2011, 09:07 PM   #92
LemonLemon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw View Post
Is there a difference in pearlscales from different region? There was one at a LFS that was gorgeous but I was afraid it would munch on all the corals.
yes.

depending on the species and geographical location, some have yellow or orange backs.

the red sea variation is the most impressive. it has a scarlet red back. ubiquitous in the wild but in the past few years, almost impossible to obtain. no idea why

Unread 03/13/2011, 10:43 PM   #93
langtudatinh01
Registered Member

iam interereting to get a copperband butterfly in the future. How bad do you think it will eat sps and lps? Thanks.

Current Tank Info: my little heaven: 40 Breeder nano reeftank (1 year old-refugium/sump 20 gallons)
langtudatinh01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2011, 11:20 PM   #94
LemonLemon
Registered Member

copperband.

100% safe with SPS
almost 100% safe with LPS

the odds are greatly in your favour

Unread 03/14/2011, 05:58 AM   #95
Jim Lepage
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonLemon View Post
jim - your list is great. i would stick with the two hemitaurichthys (planktivores, 100% reef safe in theory) the tinker's and declivis would be worth a try as they're pretty ok. i have 2 roaops butterflies. they do fine with my corals. the heniochus is also a good bet.

the other chaetodon species are historically not reef safe. only add them if you're willing to take alot of risk and don't care much about reef-safeness.
Thanks a lot Lemon. I think we'll stay with the safer ones since we want to keep SPS and not only fishes in that tank.

Unread 03/17/2011, 06:39 PM   #96
Jim Lepage
Registered Member

What do you think about introducing a Longnose Butterfly with a well established Copperband ? Someone told me it could by tricky since they have the same kind of behavior and snout shaped mouth.

Unread 03/17/2011, 07:43 PM   #97
LemonLemon
Registered Member

hmm...

copperbands can get fairly aggressive.

longnose on the other hand, are perfectly peaceful.

but i don't see a problem. i've mixed them up before. it's ok.

butterflies display their aggression not by long chasing or biting, but rater, slow circling, rapid dashes, fin display and sometimes, headbutting.

Unread 03/29/2011, 07:16 AM   #98
twiggyb
Registered Member

For those butterflies that nip at sps, do you think that frags would have a hard time getting a foothold before they stress and die?

Love, grease and chicken peace!
Chicken are people too.

Current Tank Info: 29g since March 2012
twiggyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2011, 04:25 PM   #99
jake levi
Registered Member

Feeding Copperbands

Lemon what are you feeding your Copperbands?

Current Tank Info: reef tanks oriented towards pairs of reef fish
jake levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2011, 05:49 PM   #100
sweetrav18
Registered Member

can someone sum up the difference between a marginalis vs a copperband in regards to temperment and "reef safeness"

Tags
butterfly, butterflyfish