Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/26/2016, 04:00 PM   #76
Rakie
In Memoriam

Boom -- Any update on your experimental feed?

Rakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2016, 04:44 PM   #77
karimwassef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstech View Post
Do your skimmers go nuts with tons of overflow or zero production when dosing/feeding 'odd' foods?
I don't add any liquified 'odd' food. All mine are either leafy or meaty so no skimmer impact

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2017, 01:55 PM   #78
karimwassef
Registered Member

Experimenting with Potassium sources

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
Unread 02/24/2017, 08:08 AM   #79
karimwassef
Registered Member

An urchins love bananas?

photo 470C9A75-47A9-41FD-9E26-C4BB02C5DBE1_zpsdaa8mzyg.jpg

Unread 03/02/2017, 09:19 AM   #80
karimwassef
Registered Member

Here's an unfortunate result of feeding bananas. I was feeding algae as well (from my turf scrubber) to recycle nutrients in the tank. Now the fish aren't eating the algae!!!

I placed bananas and algae together and the banana disappeared, but the algae is being eaten very slowly...

Maybe bananas are more filling so after eating them, they're not as hungry? I don't know if they taste the difference?

Anyway, I'm off bananas until they eat all their algae. No desert until they finish their veggies.

Unread 03/14/2017, 08:42 AM   #81
Boom
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
Here's an unfortunate result of feeding bananas. I was feeding algae as well (from my turf scrubber) to recycle nutrients in the tank. Now the fish aren't eating the algae!!!

I placed bananas and algae together and the banana disappeared, but the algae is being eaten very slowly...

Maybe bananas are more filling so after eating them, they're not as hungry? I don't know if they taste the difference?

Anyway, I'm off bananas until they eat all their algae. No desert until they finish their veggies.
Hilarious! Thanks for posting those great videos. I'm getting as much gratification watching your fish eating as I do mine!. I still haven't learned how to post videos... lost my patience quickly.

Last edited by Boom; 03/14/2017 at 09:29 AM.
Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2017, 09:06 AM   #82
Boom
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakie View Post
Boom -- Any update on your experimental feed?
Sorry I very been away from the marine sites for a while.... My fish are fat and happy with all the new dietary additions.

I have also started throwing in clippings from my fresh water planted tanks, crushed freshwater snails (gone in seconds), planaria, FW amphipods, and blackworms I'm growing in a FW tub outside. They prefer the taste of some plants over others... just like anything else. I believe marine fish are smart enough not to eat anything that's bad for them.
I was just visiting another site where they were in a heated discussion about whether it was OK to feed marine fish romaine lettuce or not. After reading through our thread, and watching karimwassef 's beautiful videos, what do you folks think?

Unread 03/14/2017, 10:57 AM   #83
karimwassef
Registered Member

I think fish are opportunistic eaters and variety is the spice of life..

Unread 03/30/2017, 08:14 AM   #84
Sounds Fishy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
I remember a time when reefers felt anything non-oceanic was risky or unsavory for use in a marine tank. We've come a long way, baby!
Just an informal survey to see what products of land-based origin people are using in their tanks and WHY. You won't be criticized especially if you share the main virtues of the substance you're using.
For instance:
my fish love bananas (melevs reef tip) adding fructose and cellulose (carbon) and intrinsically easily digestible. I add a variety of other handy stuff in SMALL quantities: mango, beet or carrot juice (vitamin A, carotenoids, fructose,sucrose), soymilk (asparginine, DHEA, calcium, carageenan), o.j. (citric acid, ascorbic acid), coconut milk (potassium,oils), corn syrup, raw egg yolk or white, brewer's yeast, pulverized dried crickets, live earthworms and live assorted insect larvae... Show us YOUR list!

I had a real healthy Moorish Idol,I sold,last year,and it didn't like bananas,but liked a wide variety of clams,red worms chopped up floating nori mixed with phytoplankton,mysis,all stirred up and fed 3 times per day.Also the Yellow tangs and fox face enjoyed being fed,this mix . Whenever I found an odd ant or spider it went into the mix as well.
Just a side note,aside from the high sodium level ,you could drink your aquarium water,while feeding and it would be very nutricious.

Unread 04/03/2017, 06:26 PM   #85
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Just a side note,aside from the high sodium level ,you could drink your aquarium water,while feeding and it would be very nutricious.

Ba dump bump!

Unread 04/03/2017, 08:44 PM   #86
karimwassef
Registered Member

I like salty foods..

Unread 09/04/2017, 02:59 PM   #87
karimwassef
Registered Member

I've been feeding liquified clams and shrimp but my herbivores still prefer bananas

Unread 09/04/2017, 03:00 PM   #88
karimwassef
Registered Member

and yes. I'm getting lazier and lazier.. I don't even slice them any more.. just whole bananas..

next I might not peel them.. LOL

Unread 09/04/2017, 05:48 PM   #89
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

A lot of people don't realize this, but Mysis Shrimp are freshwater.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2017, 01:14 PM   #90
Horace
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
and yes. I'm getting lazier and lazier.. I don't even slice them any more.. just whole bananas..

next I might not peel them.. LOL
how often are you feeding bananas?

Current Tank Info: New 180g Mixed SPS Build in progress
Horace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2017, 01:39 PM   #91
karimwassef
Registered Member

Once a month. It's a treat

Unread 09/29/2017, 08:31 PM   #92
karimwassef
Registered Member

My scolly has developed a taste for bananas

photo 4FF878A5-E780-4C66-A211-B742F2A708D5_zpskx84qv2e.jpg

Unread 10/14/2017, 08:49 PM   #93
karimwassef
Registered Member

Broccoli

Unread 10/15/2017, 06:40 PM   #94
biecacka
Registered Member

Where do you guys order your black worms from?

I might try the bananas too.

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2018, 02:22 AM   #95
Boom
Registered Member

I was just talking to a dear friend about this thread. I know my yellow tang is going to a good home with him when he said he was going to feed his large school of tangs potato shavings, too!
I have overhauled my own diet last year to a "Pegan" (Paleo/vegan) diet which includes freshly extracted juices. So now I can tell you that roughly an ounce of fresh juice medley goes in the tank any time I make some for us. Our juices include: carrot, apple, orange, celery, beet, parsley, garlic, ginger, turmeric (fresh root), red bell pepper, kale, collards, pear, tangerine, lemon...

And I'm still using the same batch of home -made selcon I keep in the freezer-- since the inception of this thread! When that's gone I'll make a much SMALLER batch...

Unread 12/06/2018, 07:33 PM   #96
pdxmonkeyboy
Registered Member

found this thread, i LOVE the diy acro power recipe!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

pdxmonkeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2018, 08:50 AM   #97
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Cory,
From the freshwater club:
https://shop.easternaquatics.com/mai...3plqscsfapp004

Tags
amino dosing, carbon dosing, coral food