Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/01/2016, 08:09 PM   #1
IdahoCindy
Registered Member

Foxface Looking Bad

This fish has been with me for about 3 years. He's had a dark spot on one side that seems to come and go. One time it appeared to have some tissue hanging off but usually it is just smooth and does not seem to bother him.

Tonight, he presents with something similar but much more severe. The dark spots are present in several locations on his body with one near his right side the worst. As you can see, one lesion which spans two different colored parts of his body make the yellow black and the black with a white streak.

He seems distressed about the situation tonight and is hanging right near my head. (The couch backs up to the couch.) It's almost like he is begging me to help him!

Could this be some sort of internal parasite? Bacterial? I hope someone will recognize this condition in time for me to treat this.

Thanks! Cindy

IdahoCindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2016, 12:07 AM   #2
mattcoug
Registered Member

Does he get really scared and slam into or push into something that will sting or poke him?

Are the white dots on the fish? Especially on the eyes.

mattcoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2016, 03:50 PM   #3
Ligershark
Registered Member

If it was me I would treat with seachem metro in some pellet food and begin to feed the tank new life spectrum hex shield regularly. Also some prazipro dips

Ligershark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2016, 09:08 PM   #4
IdahoCindy
Registered Member

He's not especially spooky but could possibly have poked himself on something or perhaps had an encounter with an anemone? There is a black spot on both sides of his face. Maybe an encounter with the lobster? He's otherwise healthy and has a good appetite. I'm open to treating in the DT but not to removing him for treatment.

Unread 01/02/2016, 10:07 PM   #5
mattcoug
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoCindy View Post
He's not especially spooky but could possibly have poked himself on something or perhaps had an encounter with an anemone? There is a black spot on both sides of his face. Maybe an encounter with the lobster? He's otherwise healthy and has a good appetite. I'm open to treating in the DT but not to removing him for treatment.
Lobster? Won't that catch and eat all your fish??

Unread 01/02/2016, 10:09 PM   #6
mattcoug
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ligershark View Post
If it was me I would treat with seachem metro in some pellet food and begin to feed the tank new life spectrum regularly. Also some prazipro dips
Metro(hex shield is also metro laced food) will damage the fish liver - do not feed continuously to your fish or it will die. For a short term treatment it is useful for parasites like uronema, and intestinal worms. Prati is best for skin and gill flukes.

Unread 01/02/2016, 10:13 PM   #7
Ligershark
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcoug View Post
Metro(hex shield is also metro laced food) will damage the fish liver - do not feed continuously to your fish or it will die. For a short term treatment it is useful for parasites like uronema, and intestinal worms. Prati is best for skin and gill flukes.

interesting...my clowns had some parasites and I treated with focus and metro soaked pellets until i got some hex shield. Ive been sprinkling the hex shield a few pellets here and there every couple days along with many other foods. And my clowns are spawning regularly. thanks for the heads up. gonna stop now.

Ligershark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2016, 05:38 AM   #8
mattcoug
Registered Member

Ya, kinda like alcohol to a drunk's liver - good for the night but over time damage accumulates. I would do a full on treatment to get rid of the parasites, then completely stop. Btw, what parasite are you treating for?

Unread 01/14/2016, 02:24 PM   #9
IdahoCindy
Registered Member

The foxface is much improved after a DT treatment of Prazi. I hated the micro bubbles so much I didn't do the second dose. All seems well at the moment. I don't know if if was a parasite, a bacterial infection, or an injury. He's back to his old happy self.

Unread 01/15/2016, 03:45 AM   #10
mattcoug
Registered Member

Glad to hear!

Unread 01/15/2016, 04:27 AM   #11
lynchmob3000
Registered Member

Looks kinda like he's getting to close to the anemone or he's got some flatworms

lynchmob3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2016, 10:33 AM   #12
IdahoCindy
Registered Member

Sorry for not having posted to this thread for awhile. The fish is completely healed up. I suppose it could have been a combination of a few problems but I'm leaning heavily on encounters with one or more of the many anemones I have in the tank. I also can't help but think the Prazipro was of some benefit to all of the fish. All is well for now.

Tags
black spot, foxface, rash