Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/16/2018, 07:19 PM   #26
n2585722
Registered Member

The issue you describe is a buss issue. It could be a buss cable or a module. On the head unit select menu. Arrow down to system then click right arrow. Arrow down to info then click enter. There are three things displayed. Detached modules, Errors and rev. You are interested in the Errors. This displays tye buss errors. If the number increases a great amount is a short period then buss errors are the issue. It can be caused by buss cables or the module. It could also be something that is powering down on one of the PC4's. Small pumps are bad about doing this. If you can try the head unit and just one PC4 connected without anything plugged into the outlets. If it goes past the normal amount of time when you would normally have an issue add the other PC4. Let it run again for a while. Keep addding module like this untill the are all hooked back up. Then start adding things back to the outlets a few at a time. If you add something and it starts axting back up then you have it narrowed down to what ever was just added back. Just remember when you add a module you are also adding a buss cable also. Hope this helps.

n2585722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2018, 09:16 PM   #27
carmexx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2585722 View Post
The issue you describe is a buss issue. It could be a buss cable or a module. On the head unit select menu. Arrow down to system then click right arrow. Arrow down to info then click enter. There are three things displayed. Detached modules, Errors and rev. You are interested in the Errors. This displays tye buss errors. If the number increases a great amount is a short period then buss errors are the issue. It can be caused by buss cables or the module. It could also be something that is powering down on one of the PC4's. Small pumps are bad about doing this. If you can try the head unit and just one PC4 connected without anything plugged into the outlets. If it goes past the normal amount of time when you would normally have an issue add the other PC4. Let it run again for a while. Keep addding module like this untill the are all hooked back up. Then start adding things back to the outlets a few at a time. If you add something and it starts axting back up then you have it narrowed down to what ever was just added back. Just remember when you add a module you are also adding a buss cable also. Hope this helps.
Haha, I just checked it and it says 4088 errors.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

carmexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2018, 07:03 AM   #28
cedwards04
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfin View Post
I started putting a little Dielectric Grease
https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-8115.../dp/B000AL2RI2
(you can purchase it cheaper at any chain Auto Parts store)
about 5 years ago in ALL of my connections. I’ve had a very few Bus connection failures since.
I keep a tube of this on my offshore boat and use it on all those connections. I had thought about trying it on this, guess I'll give that a shot.

cedwards04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2018, 07:06 AM   #29
cedwards04
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2585722 View Post
I'll go check it as soon as my daughter wakes up. Tank is in her room. Yesterday I did try swapping out the main pc4 I was using for a spare pc4 to see if that was the culprit. I have a digital alarm clock plugged into it so that if it lost power through the night it will be blinking this morning.

Unread 03/17/2018, 05:18 PM   #30
cedwards04
Registered Member

Well, so far it appears that one of the pc4's may have been the problem. After swapping it with a spare, I've been well over 30hrs without any hiccups which is MUCH longer than it ever had before. Hopefully it is good to go.

Unread 03/17/2018, 06:29 PM   #31
n2585722
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedwards04 View Post
Well, so far it appears that one of the pc4's may have been the problem. After swapping it with a spare, I've been well over 30hrs without any hiccups which is MUCH longer than it ever had before. Hopefully it is good to go.

Keep an eye on the buss errors. A few are OK.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unread 03/17/2018, 06:35 PM   #32
macfin
Registered Member

Check closely inside the BUS ports for any corrosion. If there is the slightest bit, it will play havoc on the test of the system. If you find any, scrape/clean, apply some DE, perform a hard reboot and you should be good to go.

Current Tank Info: 72 Bow, mixed reef
macfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2018, 08:34 AM   #33
n2585722
Registered Member

I have one PC4 that will do this and I isolated it to one of the buss ports. I cannot see any thing wrong with that port. It is used as a spare for now. I have not got around to replacing the jack assy on that port of the PC4 yet.